Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Unhappy I'm without my car for a few days...

I noticed a foul smell coming from the A/C vents a few weeks back. Xtine (my g/f) suggested that it smelled like celery. The day before I took it to the dealer for the HVAC upgrade 2 weeks ago, I noticed something was leaking where the glove compartment box and center console meet. It looked pinkish-red and had the same smell. They performed the upgrade and the smell went away, but turned into what Xtine said, smelled like syrup. The leaking was still there so I took it to the dealer today and they said that it's the heater core that was leaking and that they have to order a replacement.

Any one had this?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Had this happen to me in my old Buick lol. It sucked for me because it dumped what seemed like 2 gallons of antifreeze into my floorboard. That was a crappy winter. When the heater core initially went out, i had that same syrup smell, and eventually smoke started coming out of my vents. Then it dumped on to my floor when the core finally crapped out.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
i read someone else had the same problem, and to get to the heater core they had to remove windshield and the entire dashboard
ssummit camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummit camaro View Post
i read someone else had the same problem, and to get to the heater core they had to remove windshield and the entire dashboard
the windshield had to be removed, wow.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
yeah i couldnt believe it either but someone on this forum had it done, he said they replaced the windshild and carpet. there is a bolt that cannot be accessed to remove dash without taking the windshield out, and one of the many times i was watching camaro ultimate factories when they installed the dash there was a guy inserting the bolt on top of the dash. maybe thru time mechanics might be able to figure a way to do this job without removing major items.
ssummit camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Ah crap...:(
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Dang, that sucks. 16k on mine and still never back to dealer for anything, but need to take it soon. Loose spoiler caused paint damage that needs to be fixed and need the USB upgrade and a few other things.
Where did you take it? I saw your post about Selman and gave up on Don Steves a long time ago. What good dealer around our area do you know of?
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thanks, cterry! I took my car to my home dealer, Connell Chevrolet. So far, they haven't done me wrong!

I took my car to Richard Hibbard Chevrolet for the PDIM programming and they were REALLY good up there. They're in Claremont, a bit of a drive but I have no regrets going there.

UPDATE: I get my car back today, but it ain't fixed :( Reason being is that my Service Advisor told me that they have to order a new windshield. I don't think they damaged mine cuz I'll get to take my car home, but I guess I gotta wait for the complete fix.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
yeah i couldnt believe it either but someone on this forum had it done, he said they replaced the windshild and carpet. there is a bolt that cannot be accessed to remove dash without taking the windshield out, and one of the many times i was watching camaro ultimate factories when they installed the dash there was a guy inserting the bolt on top of the dash. maybe thru time mechanics might be able to figure a way to do this job without removing major items.
Ok, I'm not an engineer, but WTF is the deal with that kind of design. Wouldn't it make sense to leave the easiest access as possible to replace these kinds of parts? I've seen this in all kinds of cars on certain parts. Just seems idiotic to have these kinds of designs. I mean it's no big deal when it's under warranty, but think about it down the road. If it goes out and you are no longer under warranty, can you imagine the labor cost.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
The Jerk
Here but not really here.

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
The day before I took it to the dealer for the HVAC upgrade 2 weeks ago,

There is an upgrade on the AC unit? Where and how did you find out about this..
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Becka1988

Drives: Dream Girl 2011 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Ok, I'm not an engineer, but WTF is the deal with that kind of design. Wouldn't it make sense to leave the easiest access as possible to replace these kinds of parts? I've seen this in all kinds of cars on certain parts. Just seems idiotic to have these kinds of designs. I mean it's no big deal when it's under warranty, but think about it down the road. If it goes out and you are no longer under warranty, can you imagine the labor cost.
Its a conspiracy to force you to spend more money at the dealership. If you could fix things at home - or better yet - they made better quality cars that didn't break, then the service department wouldn't make any money.
Becka1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becka1988 View Post
Its a conspiracy to force you to spend more money at the dealership. If you could fix things at home - or better yet - they made better quality cars that didn't break, then the service department wouldn't make any money.
Bitches!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
There is an upgrade on the AC unit? Where and how did you find out about this..
Oh, this was the original HVAC upgrade that everybody but me got

I got more details of why the heck they have to order a new windshield: The only way that they can get to the heater core is through the dash. They can't go through the engine bay and they can't go from under the dash, they gotta go straight on. This means that they gotta get the windshield out of the way. In doing so, they ruin the black seal that helps to hold the windshield in place and prevents water from going in. GM decided that the seal has to already be glued to the windshield and they don't sell/send just the seal by itself.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
The Jerk
Here but not really here.

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Oh, this was the original HVAC upgrade that everybody but me got
How exactly did you NOT get this upgrade...