Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Drives: 2021 ZLE
SS 1LE 2 ZL1 1LE?

I currently have a naturally aspirated SS 1LE making around 490whp and 480wtrq
I am considering switching from this to a ZL1 1LE.
Has anyone here made the switch? If so, any advice or thoughts?
Would be my DD
I don't care about ride comfort
Won't see much track time, but lots of mountains and canyons
Plenty of room to open her up where I live
kayla72911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Haven’t made the switch but if you don’t care about ride comfort, go for it!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla72911 View Post
Would be my DD
I don't care about ride comfort
Won't see much track time, but lots of mountains and canyons
No
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #4
ex-SS-ve

Personally i would do it. Probably one of the only new cars you have to buy new tires for right away because the stock tires suck in rain or cold temps. I drive mine everyday and have been caught in snowstorms more than a few times with it. No real choice as its my daily.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #5
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
I did just that. I loved my SS 1LE. It was an amazingly balanced car. Strong & fast, yet very comfortable to drive. Used it on track and as a warm, clear days, DD during summer months. It was a 1SS model though so I wanted some of the features that came with higher trim. The ZL1 1LE is complete overkill.... and I love it even more than my former SS 1LE! It has all the upgraded creature comforts I wanted in my SS 1LE, with 200 more HP! Yes, the tires were immediately swapped for a new set of Michelin PS4S so it’s better on the road during typical street driving in my area. I saved the SC 3r’s on a spare set of wheels for the track. The suspension set up is definitely stiffer. Is it punishing , as some journalists have stated.. no. You really get used to it quickly. What enjoy most is the planted feeling whenever you get into the throttle in turns. It sticks like glue and corners like no other car it’s size. Very confidence inspiring. The power is unbelievable. You will lose your nerve before the car gives up. Especially so if you are on a road course with turns, or mountain canyon carving. Lastly, for me, the looks are completely bad ass! The angriest looking Camaro made to date. The front end looks like it just wants to eat anything in its way. It truly is a muscle car that acts like a sports car.

Hope this helps with your decision making. Honestly, you cannot go wrong either way.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
activeSS

Drives: Radiant Red SS 1LE & ZL1
Had a 2017 ZL1 and currently have a 2020 SS1LE. Even though it is not as simple as it sounds they are the same car less the engine. (to me). Not worth the extra coin (to me).

Agree with Trak about the comforts and upgrades but mine is not a DD. Just a weekend toy.
activeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Why in the hell did you make three duplicate threads. . .

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I went the opposite direction. Got tired of the much higher car payments on the ZL1. I now have a 2ss car. It looks and drives the same as the ZL1. Yes its a lot less HP, but seriously its $20k less upfront. And the extra HP only gave me bragging rights that no one cared about but me. I dont track the cars, so really all that extra capability was a waste on me anyway. Do I miss the pull when I floored it, heck yes. You can feel the difference for sure. But not $15-20K more.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
A ZL1 will do everything you need. But you have a great car already.....490 whp is about 550 crank hp

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #10
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
I've owned a 5th gen 2ss which I modified to approx 675 Crank. Still have this car and still love it. Just purchased a Camaro ZLE to go with it. For me at this stage in my life, I generally spend the extra money because I know I'll always have wanted the power later. I don't disagree that it's overpriced, but it makes me smile and that's all that counts. I can take those smiles to the grave unlike the $$$$$.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Probably should have stated that I live in the desert.
So there are only 3 months where the average high is below 80. I've never had even the slightest annoyance when it comes to traction with 490whp once I changed to the BMR arms. Some slip if I go full gas in 1st above 10mph, but that is expected. I know the ZLE has a bigger traction problem, but just wanted to put that out there.
Alot of reviews say the tires on the ZLE are amazing. If you switch to a "DD friendly tire" is it a pretty big difference in terms of performance?
Old 03-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
I did just that. I loved my SS 1LE. It was an amazingly balanced car. Strong & fast, yet very comfortable to drive. Used it on track and as a warm, clear days, DD during summer months. It was a 1SS model though so I wanted some of the features that came with higher trim. The ZL1 1LE is complete overkill.... and I love it even more than my former SS 1LE! It has all the upgraded creature comforts I wanted in my SS 1LE, with 200 more HP! Yes, the tires were immediately swapped for a new set of Michelin PS4S so it’s better on the road during typical street driving in my area. I saved the SC 3r’s on a spare set of wheels for the track. The suspension set up is definitely stiffer. Is it punishing , as some journalists have stated.. no. You really get used to it quickly. What enjoy most is the planted feeling whenever you get into the throttle in turns. It sticks like glue and corners like no other car it’s size. Very confidence inspiring. The power is unbelievable. You will lose your nerve before the car gives up. Especially so if you are on a road course with turns, or mountain canyon carving. Lastly, for me, the looks are completely bad ass! The angriest looking Camaro made to date. The front end looks like it just wants to eat anything in its way. It truly is a muscle car that acts like a sports car.

Hope this helps with your decision making. Honestly, you cannot go wrong either way.

Thank you
Old 03-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #13
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I would also for the zl11Le ONLY. wouldn't be worth it for anything else since the new 1Le is basically a Zl1 without the supercharger and some heated seats and some interior mods.....I'd go for it
Old 03-24-2021, 03:37 PM   #14
kayla72911
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
I would also for the zl11Le ONLY. wouldn't be worth it for anything else since the new 1Le is basically a Zl1 without the supercharger and some heated seats and some interior mods.....I'd go for it
Did they change the SS 1LE suspension?
Because they were completely different in 2020