Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Everytime I flip the light switch next to my sink I hear a loud grinding noise coming from underneath. What could it be mister oblivious.
My roto fab fit great and you can hear the Supercharger whine more as expected.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #16
Gritesh

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
You know this is an old thread.

I realize its an old thread, but I did a search and did not come up with anything newer or where it was being discussed.

I'm just looking to see if this is normal or not, it certainly doesn't seem normal to me, but maybe I am mistaken.

I have had multiple other cars with aftermarket CAI's on them, never a supercharged car, but N/A cars and Turbo Charged Cars and I have never heard this high pitched whistle, it's like a dog whistle.
Gritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritesh View Post
I realize its an old thread, but I did a search and did not come up with anything newer or where it was being discussed.

I'm just looking to see if this is normal or not, it certainly doesn't seem normal to me, but maybe I am mistaken.

I have had multiple other cars with aftermarket CAI's on them, never a supercharged car, but N/A cars and Turbo Charged Cars and I have never heard this high pitched whistle, it's like a dog whistle.
I had the same issue you're describing when light to moderate throttle. It was incredibly annoying. I checked all my connections, made sure all the clamps were tight and I was still having the issue. I put the Tony Mamo ported TB on the car and it went away. I honestly think the reason you hear the whistle is because on the stock throttle body there's a lip that air has a tendency to bounce off when the butterfly valve starts to open. Tony completely eliminates this lip when he does his porting.

Last edited by staples87; 07-23-2019 at 01:35 PM.
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
I had the same issue you're describing when light to moderate throttle. It was incredibly annoying. I checked all my connections, made sure all the clamps were tight and I was still having the issue. I put the Tony Mamo ported TB on the car and it went away. I honestly think the reason you hear the whistle is because on the stock throttle body there's a lip that air has a tendency to bounce off when the butterfly valve starts to open. Tony completely eliminates this lip when he does his porting.
I posted a thread about the whistle a while back and nobody had any answers for why. I have a NW 103 and at light throttle it loud and annoying. I drive it up to my tuner who says it normal.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
I posted a thread about the whistle a while back and nobody had any answers for why. I have a NW 103 and at light throttle it loud and annoying. I drive it up to my tuner who says it normal.
Wow it's got to be pretty loud if you can still hear it over the kooks full exhaust.

Have you tried replacing the filter? I don't think the Nick Williams has a lip on it?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
Wow it's got to be pretty loud if you can still hear it over the kooks full exhaust.

Have you tried replacing the filter? I don't think the Nick Williams has a lip on it?
It doesn’t have a lip. I was told the whistle is caused by the throttle blade being open just a little. Once I step on it a little more it goes away. Always seems to be right where I’m driving. So I either have to drop a gear or go faster than I wanted to.