Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
EdTheEnthusiast

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2LT v6
Concerned about buying a Camaro6

Hello Everyone!

I have been looking into a used 6th gen 2016-2017 Camaro LT (either a 2.0T or a V6) as well as some other cars. I wish I could buy a V8 right now, but for personal reasons I cannot. I plan to use the car as a DD, even in the winter.

After seeing that the 2016 Camaro has drive system, electronic and minor transmission issues on Consumer Reports, my decision has been swayed.

Should I be concerned with this?

I have read through the forum and found that the transmission that seems problematic is the A8, which sort of bad news for me. The manual has fewer issues but I do not know how to drive manual , and would love to learn. I live in an area where traffic is very common and I like to relax in my car, which makes me unsure about a manual.

Any advice and helpful information will be very helpful!
EdTheEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
Honestly the A8 is a terrific transmission, have been enjoying the hell out of mine for over 6 months now, SS btw. YES sometimes it shifts hard and shudders but its few and far between.

You will love the A8, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Arugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I've had both a 4i and my 2lt in the last year and I've yet to have any issues, just a lot of fun driving. Both are auto both bring different Things to the table... that's were you use good ol fashion personal preference to find happiness. And beware of that nasty v8. Once it growls at you and attacks, you'll be maimed for life.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
ShadySS

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS
I've got the A8 in my SS, no issues here and loving it, negativity impacts more than positivity, people with issues will mention them more, but The fact of the matter is, most of these cars are doing just fine, wether it's the i4, V6, or V8, auto or manual.

Take your time and decide, but these are great cars, and should anything happen, that's why you have warrenty!
ShadySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
flaps100

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 RS
1st of all I don't trust anything Consumer Reports Says, their sources and info is flawed.

2nd every car, new or used can have issues, My 2015 Mustang had a bunch, join other forums you will see horror stories, mainly because people that have issues are far more vocal than people that are happy with there vehicle, then there is the 20% of the Human Race that are never satisfied.

Good luck with whatever you get.
flaps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Okay, I have something fairly close to what you are looking at, a 2LT V6 with the A8 trans, and I can tell you it's been working very well. Doesn't do everything exactly as I would with the M6, but it's 99% of the way there, and for those one percent cases we have paddle shifters plus the manual shift mode (+/-). In terms of issues, I have very little to complain about, it does lurch a bit shifting 3->2 or 3->1 while turning into a grade with insufficient throttle, but all I need to do is lean a bit more on the pedal, nothing too serious.

This car is just sheer, unadulterated joy to drive, and I'm sure I am not alone with this experience. Yes, even a V6. While there certainly are issues experienced by some owners and not others, don't forget that it's always the guy with the problem who speaks out first and loudest and probably longest (yours truly included).

One last piece of advice, if you end up going the Camaro route, make sure you get an RS, don't be a fool like I was. The headlights alone are worth the extra, if you even have to pay any with a used car.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEnthusiast View Post
Hello Everyone!

I have been looking into a used 6th gen 2016-2017 Camaro LT (either a 2.0T or a V6) as well as some other cars. I wish I could buy a V8 right now, but for personal reasons I cannot. I plan to use the car as a DD, even in the winter.

After seeing that the 2016 Camaro has drive system, electronic and minor transmission issues on Consumer Reports, my decision has been swayed.

Should I be concerned with this?

I have read through the forum and found that the transmission that seems problematic is the A8, which sort of bad news for me. The manual has fewer issues but I do not know how to drive manual , and would love to learn. I live in an area where traffic is very common and I like to relax in my car, which makes me unsure about a manual.

Any advice and helpful information will be very helpful!
Buy the stick. TRUST ME. I didnt want to learn on a stick, but my first car was a stick. THE FIRST WEEK SUCKED! Stalling often, hills were my worst nightmare, people getting too close to my rear! Boy it was awful... But after that first week and that learning curve, nothing is quite like being completely intimate with a machine. Its an amazing experience. (I wish I learned to drive stick in a powerful car, because the torque makes it incredibly hard to stall. My SS is like driving on easy mode, where my miata was like expert mode.)

Also, traffic is not an issue when your car has rev match, as I found out with the C6 camaro haha! Bumper to bumper Los Angeles NO PROBLEM with rev match! (V8 torque helps too lol, I dont have to apply throttle to go forward. All I have to do is let off the clutch, the torque propels me forward with no accelerator action lol.)

Plus, those A8 issues lol. But truthfully, I wouldnt worry about it. If the car you buy has an issue, it will show itself and be addressed under warranty.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
A8 here, the only issues I’ve had is a rough shift from 1 to 2. But it doesn’t happen frequently and it’s not severe enough to be of concern. Usually only happens under light acceleration.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Buy the stick. TRUST ME. I didnt want to learn on a stick, but my first car was a stick. THE FIRST WEEK SUCKED! Stalling often, hills were my worst nightmare, people getting too close to my rear! Boy it was awful... But after that first week and that learning curve, nothing is quite like being completely intimate with a machine. Its an amazing experience.

Plus, those A8 issues lol. But truthfully, I wouldnt worry about it. If the car you buy has an issue, it will show itself and be addressed under warranty.
OP says he'll have to drive in traffic a lot, which is a big one against the stick.

[To each his own, of course. Some background just so I don't come off as a wimp, I first learned to drive manual, drove stick for many years before switching to auto, and it was indeed a necessity in those days of crappy, lagging 4-speed automatics. Not anymore, especially in dense traffic or lots of uphill stops at lights. Even though I can do it without a thought, to me it feels unwarranted and adds little in terms of having a sense of full control or intimacy with the machine. Or maybe I've gotten old and cranky ]
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Consumer Reports is in most cases Full of Shidt. They should be reviewing toasters like they started out. CR is a scam, I hear they buy stock in different companies and promote the products they have stock in and promote worse reviews in the competition they don't own stock in. CR from what I hear owns huge amounts of stock in Toyota.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Consumer Reports is in most cases Full of Shidt. They should be reviewing toasters like they started out. CR is a scam, I hear they buy stock in different companies and promote the products they have stock in and promote worse reviews in the competition they don't own stock in. CR from what I hear owns huge amounts of stock in Toyota.
You heard this Where? If they do it should be public info, so what is your source? I'm sure you didn't just pull this out of thin air.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
OP says he'll have to drive in traffic a lot, which is a big one against the stick.

[To each his own, of course. Some background just so I don't come off as a wimp, I first learned to drive manual, drove stick for many years before switching to auto, and it was indeed a necessity in those days of crappy, lagging 4-speed automatics. Not anymore, especially in dense traffic or lots of uphill stops at lights. Even though I can do it without a thought, to me it feels unwarranted and adds little in terms of having a sense of full control or intimacy with the machine. Or maybe I've gotten old and cranky ]
Arpad, you dont come off as a wimp. Auto's are great, and driving one doesnt make you a puss. No stick can be as convenient as an auto,( I did update my initial response to include my thoughts on the matter.) However, driving a powerful car with rev match enabled makes traffic a breeze. (The more powerful the car, the easier it is to drive as a stick in my experience. More power = harder to stall, less throttle input required to get moving from a rest. And while the V6/I4 are no V8's, they aren't miatas either. They are powerful cars when compared to 95% of the vehicles on the road. So Id imagine they are easy to drive in a manual format.)
Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
A8 SS here with no issues and I Drive my car when I have time off work too....the only issue for me is it shifts faster than I want lol, I have a 25mph neighborhood and they are speed haters let alone how my car sounds like I’m doing 55 sometimes, lol.
It has a better feel than both 5th Gens I’ve had IMO and no issues.

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote