Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #1065
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
Dude. You drive an SS. I can't take your question seriously since you posted here. Ask a Corvette owner if he cares if they make an Eco economy 4 cylinder Vette station wagon. I bet you find guys that wouldn't like it...

It'd be a sales move. Plain and simple. GM like ALL companies are out to make money. It's not about having the hi-po V8 guys buy a "lesser" model with a weaker powerplant to replace their cars. It's about making a sale to a customer that may have not ever been there before. Will the performance enthusiast buy it? No. But thats not why it would exist.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #1066
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Dude. You drive an SS. I can't take your question seriously since you posted here. Ask a Corvette owner if he cares if they make an Eco economy 4 cylinder Vette station wagon. I bet you find guys that wouldn't like it...
The Vette should only be a V8 because it's a ****ing Corvette. We're talking about a Camaro here, which has ALWAYS had an "economy" or base model engine. So what I'm asking is why should the V8 guys give a shit what engine the base model has when they're not going to buy it in the first place?
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #1067
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
If you're 50 years old, back in the mid-late-'70s when you were plastering your walls with HOT car posters, Chev did NOT make a Camaro with 200 hp. That didn't happen, after '74, until '87 when the L98 was jammed into Gen-3s...and it made less than 250 hp. The HOTTEST Gen-3 made? A PONTIAC...with a Buick-bred TURBO 6...

Folks, we have our answer...and your time's up...

Next topic?
Of course then (the mid 70's) I had pics of 68 and 69 Camaro's on my wall. Also 70 chevelle SS.

If you don't like the topic, you don't have to read it so I don't understand the next topic comment.

Anyway I'm a little confused at a Camaro enthusiast site where you have to apologize for liking more displacement over less.

Where if you support a V6 and V8 over a 4 cylinder gas sipping grocery getter then there's something wrong with you.

Then if you state that you will cease buying GM if the car becomes another Malibu or Metro Geo type car--people take exception to that.

Right now GM is dealing with recalls and lawsuits over the ignition systems of these small cars. If they don't need the good will of truck buyers and Camaro enthusiasts then by all means, phase out the V8.

I just didn't think you'd get lambasted on a Camaro site for liking a V8 over a freaking turbo 4. ( put a fart box and a giant wing on it and we'll fit right in with Hondas!)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #1068
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
The Vette should only be a V8 because it's a ****ing Corvette. We're talking about a Camaro here, which has ALWAYS had an "economy" or base model engine. So what I'm asking is why should the V8 guys give a shit what engine the base model has when they're not going to buy it in the first place?
I totally get where you're coming from. And you're right. If you're not going to buy the base engine, then why should the mere existence of the base engine bother you?

With that said, a counter-argument could be made that the existence of a sub-par base engine damages the overall image of the car. Reviewers get their hands on a base model, and then knock it, and the spillover effect is a negative perception of the vehicle in general.

To some extent, this has happened with the ATS. I think that GM shot itself in the foot by putting the 2.5 NA engine in the base ATS. Reviewers have derided that engine as rough and unsatisfying, and I've seen and heard a lot of folks ask, 'What the heck is the base engine from the Malibu doing in a Cadillac?! Can you say Cimarron Part 2??' And that's totally unfair because, if equipped with the V6 or the turbo 4, the ATS is a great car. But it's hard to deny that the base version has done a bit of damage to the car's overall reputation.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #1069
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I totally get where you're coming from. And you're right. If you're not going to buy the base engine, then why should the mere existence of the base engine bother you?

With that said, a counter-argument could be made that the existence of a sub-par base engine damages the overall image of the car. Reviewers get their hands on a base model, and then knock it, and the spillover effect is a negative perception of the vehicle in general.

To some extent, this has happened with the ATS. I think that GM shot itself in the foot by putting the 2.5 NA engine in the base ATS. Reviewers have derided that engine as rough and unsatisfying, and I've seen and heard a lot of folks ask, 'What the heck is the base engine from the Malibu doing in a Cadillac?! Can you say Cimarron Part 2??' And that's totally unfair because, if equipped with the V6 or the turbo 4, the ATS is a great car. But it's hard to deny that the base version has done a bit of damage to the car's overall reputation.
I agree, but if they put a 300+hp and tq 4cyl turbo as the base engine to replace the V6 it's a win win.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #1070
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
I agree, but if they put a 300+hp and tq 4cyl turbo as the base engine to replace the V6 it's a win win.
Not if it costs more than todays v6 without a major economy gain. Then what's the point?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #1071
revychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post

This. The Iron Duke damaged Camaro's rep also. Everyone acts like they KNOW what 4 banger GM would use, but when bean counters get counting you never know what you are gonna get. What if it IS a 2 liter underpowered NA gas sipper?

Will you guys still feel the same? Would I still be the asshole for liking V6 and V8 as the traditional Camaro configuration?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #1072
mikeyg36

GM is not stupid enough to put an underpowered engine in a Camaro again. They've had their heads screwed on right lately.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #1073
revychevy

Quote:
GM is not stupid enough to put an underpowered engine in a Camaro again. They've had their heads screwed on right lately.
I hope so man, but this ignition thing does not engender confidence.
Neither does the Cadillac base engine.

If the four is a screamer in a light car, then Mebbe so. But if it's a dog I don't subscribe.

I'm also not for getting rid of the V6 and moving the V8 north of 40 grand...
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #1074
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
This. The Iron Duke damaged Camaro's rep also. Everyone acts like they KNOW what 4 banger GM would use, but when bean counters get counting you never know what you are gonna get. What if it IS a 2 liter underpowered NA gas sipper?

REALLY? That's how little you think of GM and the good folks in Product Development?!

Will you guys still feel the same? Would I still be the asshole for liking V6 and V8 as the traditional Camaro configuration?
Now you're branding YOURSELF.

But you DID say "But maybe I just wanna whine about it awhile" . If that makes you what you say you are, so be it...who am I to try and change your mind?! It doesn't seem to be meeting with much success...

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #1075
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Not if it costs more than todays v6 without a major economy gain. Then what's the point?
If there is a noticeable performance gain (just because it's a 4 doesn't mean it has to be strictly economy tuned) then I believe that that's the point. Torque output of an I4-T, making similar HP to a NA-V6, should have both a higher peak and a broader/flatter delivery curve.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #1076
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
If there is a noticeable performance gain (just because it's a 4 doesn't mean it has to be strictly economy tuned) then I believe that that's the point. Torque output of an I4-T, making similar HP to a NA-V6, should have both a higher peak and a broader/flatter delivery curve.
You forget the average Joe that buys these are going to look at horsepower and fuel mileage and if they are not significantly greater than the V6 and costs more to buy the 4, guess which one they will buy?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #1077
revychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Now you're branding YOURSELF.

But you DID say "But maybe I just wanna whine about it awhile" . If that makes you what you say you are, so be it...who am I to try and change your mind?! It doesn't seem to be meeting with much success...

? I don't know what your deal is or why this is apparently personal with you. The whining comment is out of context and was a facetious comment regarding the idea that V8's could be soon legislated out of existence completely.

My response to that idea was that it might be true (it seems the direction the green crowd is after). And that I would whine about that outcome rather than embrace crappy cars.

What is your deal Lowdown? Is it a personal affront to you if I don't like a 4cylinder Camaro?

Does it pick your pocket or break your leg if I won't buy one?

Does it harm you if I don't have complete and unwavering faith that the Camaro gods will do everything YOU say they will concerning cars and engines?

Is there room on this forum for people to disagree on what they like in a Camaro?

Note that I have not said that they WON'T make another 4 banger Camaro, I just said I don't like it, and that I fear they will reprise the Iron duke.

The arguments are the same as then.

So tell me why I can't like V6 and V8 better than 4 banger and V8?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #1078
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I for one hate NA DOHC V6s simply because of their lack of low end torque, especially in a heavy car like the Camaro. The 6th gen will be lighter, but the broad torque of a turbo four would still be better. IMO Ford has it almost right slotting the 4 banger between the 6 and the 8.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation