Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
ThatGermanGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Coupé
2016 2SS Brembo Brakes

Hey there!

Long time no see! Yet, here i am again...

So now that my car has about 50.000km or a little over 31.000 miles done, i am in desperate need for some new front brakes...the pads are literally gone...

But here´s my problem now: I am living in Germany and parts for a Camaro are scarce and pretty hard to find.

I already saw a thread regarding RPO-Codes so I checked that and according to the sticker in my trunk, i go the "J6G - Brakes, Brembo 4-piston front and rear, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc"-brake option.

So far so good! But the issue is, that I can only find parts for the J55 brake option here where i live.

Now comes the question, is the J55 brake which is "Brakes, Brembo 4-piston front, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc" the same brakes in the front as the J6G?

As i understand, this should be correct, the front brakes on the J55 and J6G are identical, difference in the two brake option is in the back.... Am I right about this?!

And I further have the question regarding tightening torques on the front brakes...is there anyone out there who can support or maybe has information about this?

Thank you all so much! And please excuse my not perfect english

Greetings from Munich, Home of the Oktoberfest
ThatGermanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The SS1LE brakes are decent, yet the newest ones have been upsized to deal with the pad compound change. OEM brakes are typically horrendously expensive though, so if you find some aftermarket that fits, that can generally be cheaper and higher performance, willwood, etc.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #3
ThatGermanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The SS1LE brakes are decent, yet the newest ones have been upsized to deal with the pad compound change. OEM brakes are typically horrendously expensive though, so if you find some aftermarket that fits, that can generally be cheaper and higher performance, willwood, etc.
Thanks for your answer...

I managed to find some Brembo original pads (OE Numbers link up to J6G brake option) for around 70€.

The OE-Nr. is 23441307 (this should link up to J6G right...?)

The bigger issue right now is that I can't find any rotors here in Germany, besides some from a no-name brand, and they cost 100€ each. I am willing to pay that kind of money, but not for no name parts...

However, I found out that the OE Number 23441307 also links up to Opel/Vauxhall parts and for that i can find 345mm rotors...but the rotors don't have the same OE number as the OE number I found for the Camaro rotors.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
ThatGermanGuy

Now that i actually found 3 different brake-pad parts...what actually is the defining difference between the J6G und J55 brakes? They look similar to me with the only difference being in little balancing weights or something on the J6G pads?

I am confused as hell by now...
Old 07-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGermanGuy View Post
Now that i actually found 3 different brake-pad parts...what actually is the defining difference between the J6G und J55 brakes? They look similar to me with the only difference being in little balancing weights or something on the J6G pads?

I am confused as hell by now...
This might help:
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
ThatGermanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This might help:
Thanks..i already saw that table chart. My confusion is a bit better now but i have yet to find the right rotors...

It seems as the original 345mm brake rotor is not up for sale from any of the major car parts manufacturers like ATE, Brembo, Bosch or so on.

I can only find EBC Rotors or some nonames. The noname rotors cost 199€ or 211$.

The EBC brakes only cost 80€ (like 85 bucks) more but i have a benchmark product for that...
Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGermanGuy View Post
Thanks..i already saw that table chart. My confusion is a bit better now but i have yet to find the right rotors...

It seems as the original 345mm brake rotor is not up for sale from any of the major car parts manufacturers like ATE, Brembo, Bosch or so on.

I can only find EBC Rotors or some nonames. The noname rotors cost 199€ or 211$.

The EBC brakes only cost 80€ (like 85 bucks) more but i have a benchmark product for that...
50km you should not need to change out the rotors. Rotors should be good for one turn down and replace every second brake job.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #8
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Unless your racing it or driving it hard or the rotors are warped. I would get them milled down for the first brake change.

Then order some rotors from over seas.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #9
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Consider some powerstop Z26 replacement pads, much less dust than the OEM pads. They won't hold up to track use, but work fine on the street.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #10
ThatGermanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
50km you should not need to change out the rotors. Rotors should be good for one turn down and replace every second brake job.
Well, here in Germany we have the good old unrestricted autobahn and the car saw 250mph multiple times in the last few months and had to break pretty significantly.

I found some rotors online from EBC brakes for 270€. That's a fair deal, i'll probably order those and just put them in.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
ThatGermanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak99 View Post
Unless your racing it or driving it hard or the rotors are warped. I would get them milled down for the first brake change.

Then order some rotors from overseas.
Ordering from overseas was my plan too but with shipping and customs it comes down to the same price i would pay if i just bought them here in GER.

90€ for rotors on rockauto, around 50€ shipping and 19% customs comes out to 270€... thats the same price as some EBC Rotors which are easily available here.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #12
ThatGermanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Consider some powerstop Z26 replacement pads, much less dust than the OEM pads. They won't hold up to track use, but work fine on the street.
Thanks for the advice! I read about them a bunch here and also on other forums/youtube and so on, but I also have to order them overseas where customs apply and also shipping costs are high.

I don't complain about excessive dusting. I actually never see dust on my rims but I have some black Schmidt Drago wheels on the car so...no harm no foul

Old 07-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Whoa, the clear sidemarker and lower bumper guard. Is that euro spec stuff from the factory? Do you know what other differences there are on the euro car vs. north america?
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #14
ThatGermanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Whoa, the clear sidemarker and lower bumper guard. Is that euro spec stuff from the factory? Do you know what other differences there are on the euro car vs. north america?
That's just a stock image I found online of the rims on my car.

The rear lower bumper is the same as I got on my car from the factory.

My car is missing the small black Canard under the side marker so i think that's not from factory.

The side markers on the European models were clear/white without a lighting function behind them, they are just reflectors but not mandatory, so I put some black wrap over them.

My car had some huge, nasty plastic parts in front of the front tires, which i got rid of. And the lights are a bit different from the US ones, because red blinkers/indicators are not allowed in Europe, so they are yellow.

Other than that, i don't know of any significant difference between the US and Europe specs.