Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Mitsubishi bringing the heat with a bolt on turbo upgrade.

This caused some minor tightness in my boxer region. Hopefully it has the same effect on yous guys.

https://youtu.be/ZNW0mD8oul0
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
A7X

Drives: Subaru Tribeca
Looks promising!!!! Thanks for letting us know of this
A7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #3
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Fingers crossed
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Are they serious? 450HP by bolting on a new turbo?
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
well that would suck for the SS crowd staying stock! LOL wow 450??
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
The bigger the turbo the more hp/tq you can make! To an extent. 4 cylinder drag cars with 100+ mm turbos on them right.

Big turbo. Somewhat safe Air fuel ratio. Plenty of fuel and methanol/water injection... And you'll make power.

Looking forward to seeing if they release a kit (intercooler/ manifold/ downpipe/injectors/ tune).
Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
rorymick

Circle D should make a 3000 RPM stall converter for us eventually too.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
This caused some minor tightness in my boxer region. Hopefully it has the same effect on yous guys.

https://youtu.be/ZNW0mD8oul0
Does this post come with a new set of trousers?
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X View Post
Looks promising!!!! Thanks for letting us know of this
You're very welcome! I am fully committed to providing the best info I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace01 View Post
Are they serious? 450HP by bolting on a new turbo?
Very serious. Pfadt had a 450HP (crank) kit for the LTG before they went out of business. It's not difficult to extract power from this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Moy View Post
well that would suck for the SS crowd staying stock! LOL wow 450??
Keep in mind that that is a crank horsepower figure, but yeah, you should keep up with a stock SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
The bigger the turbo the more hp/tq you can make! To an extent. 4 cylinder drag cars with 100+ mm turbos on them right.

Big turbo. Somewhat safe Air fuel ratio. Plenty of fuel and methanol/water injection... And you'll make power.

Looking forward to seeing if they release a kit (intercooler/ manifold/ downpipe/injectors/ tune).
Being that Mitsubishi is the turbo OEM, I would highly doubt a kit is forthcoming. It does state that the turbo will bolt to our OEM manifold. And you're right. There are some 4 cyl drag cars putting down big power and low ET's. We made 1100 to all 4 tires with an Evo, 8 years ago. So I'm very excited to see where this platform goes.

Quote:
Circle D should make a 3000 RPM stall converter for us eventually too.
I'd be the first person in line for an aftermarket stall converter. Stock I'm able to foot brake to over 3300 RPM, so that is not the issue. A better impeller design for more torque multiplication would be beneficial, plus a much tighter shift extension to keep the RPM's up after a shift would really provide some needed ET reduction.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Mitsubishi bringing the heat with a bolt on turbo upgrade.

Look up TF06-07 18k. This combo of wheels is already being used as an upgrade on the Evo's and Subarus. Looks like people are pumping out 380-550 whp depending on supporting mods and tuning.

Looking at the cost of this particular turbo for those guys I don't think this is going to be a cheap upgrade. New, I see them selling for $1600-$1700. For the price, I will stick with a stock modified turbo, or splurge the little extra on efr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
rorymick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Look up TF06-07 18k. This combo of wheels is already being used as an upgrade on the Evo's and Subarus. Looks like people are pumping out 380-550 whp depending on supporting mods and tuning.

Looking at the cost of this particular turbo for those guys I don't think this is going to be a cheap upgrade. New, I see them selling for $1600-$1700. For the price, I will stick with a stock modified turbo, or splurge the little extra on efr

Quick question...are there any direct bolt in larger turbos out there for us that you know of? Not including the ones that just have upgraded wheels?

Reaching 400/400 to the wheels would be good enough for me lol.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Quick question...are there any direct bolt in larger turbos out there for us that you know of? Not including the ones that just have upgraded wheels?

Reaching 400/400 to the wheels would be good enough for me lol.

None that I have come across so far.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #13
rorymick

I just discussed this 18k turbo with someone who's got experience with them on the evo x. He reckons with that 18k we may be looking at having to upgrade the fuel delivery.

A topic I've yet to come across with the LTG platform...could be worth doing some research. He did give me a great price on upgrading my stock turbo wheels and machining and all that. Much better than I've seen online and also they're in Canada...any Americans wanna save a bunch of money thanks to the (terrible to me!) CAD USD exchange rate lol.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
I just discussed this 18k turbo with someone who's got experience with them on the evo x. He reckons with that 18k we may be looking at having to upgrade the fuel delivery.

A topic I've yet to come across with the LTG platform...could be worth doing some research. He did give me a great price on upgrading my stock turbo wheels and machining and all that. Much better than I've seen online and also they're in Canada...any Americans wanna save a bunch of money thanks to the (terrible to me!) CAD USD exchange rate lol.
How much did they quote you to upgrade, and what wheels did would be be machining to upgrade to? I waited 3-4 months to get my turbine housing machined for the HL wheel, but in the end I just had the company I sent it to send it back to me because I was tired of waiting and decided I would go back to doing it myself as they hadn't even started on it.

As far as fuel delivery goes, I don't think it would be as big of a deal as the EVO. Think, the evo's these turbos were going on are not direct injected, they use normal port injection and they have to upgrade their injectors some something like 550 or 1100cc/min when shooting for big power... the GDI injectors we have are somewhere in the neighborhood of around 130lb/hr (roughly 1350cc/min)... The only thing I can imagine might be upgraded easily would be the electric fuel pump in the tank... But we should be good to around 400hp, maybe 450 on the stock fuel system (pumps), but the injectors themselves are capable of supporting about 650hp.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 11-21-2016 at 02:05 PM.