Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Thanks, Nuclear. Of the chips in the cleared side, are they typically chips in your aftermarket clear or all the way down to something below the factory clear coat?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis550 View Post
i stopped caring about my front end. its looks horrible. I was going to get it repainted, but i'm probably going to get the zl1 front end.
Same here. No need to stress about it. Just saving monies for the new front end.
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Thanks, Nuclear. Of the chips in the cleared side, are they typically chips in your aftermarket clear or all the way down to something below the factory clear coat?
Most are chips in the clear, but a couple little dots are down to the primer. The ratio of these flaws in comparison to the original side is like night and day, though.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
The pain on my wife's $16k Sonic is way better than the paint on my 1LE in every aspect. I don't know what's different in they way they paint the two cars, but something is.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #19
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Oh shit and I imagine if the clear bra yellows it will really show up on summit white. Not much we can do but live with this but IMHO substandard paint is not something we should have to worry about on cars that cost this much and are often bought by very picky buyers. Maybe we are supposed to buy these things and just admire them on sunny days in our driveway. That way the ignition switch and lousy paint won't matter.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The chipping has nothing to do with the paint and everything to do with the design of the car.

Do you guys really truly think there's some GM conspiracy to cheap out on Camaro paint?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Cool Body Armor...

http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/bedl...ody_armour.php

Something like this may be the solution
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #22
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
A rock is a rock, and thrown fast enough will damage any paint. Not sure how some of you expect the paint to hold up to rocks. Get a 3m clear bra or travel waay back from behind vehicles if you want to avoid rock chips. 2 or 3 car lengths is not waay back either.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #23
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
The chipping has nothing to do with the paint and everything to do with the design of the car.

Do you guys really truly think there's some GM conspiracy to cheap out on Camaro paint?

I thought of it as having more to do with paint needing to be eco-friendly (water based) these days at the cost of durability, which isn't unique to GM. I saw a red C7 at the NYAS this year and the paint looked like hell after a week of show attendants wiping the car down with dirty towels. Maybe it was the color that made it stand out, but it definitely seemed more swirled than other cars so maybe they're doing something with the chemistry that's resulting in softer paint...
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Only had the Camaro 2 weeks and I can see 3 spots on the front fascia that would have been good chips and 4 spots on the gills too. The Xpel film held up and after an hour in the sun, could not see the marks anymore. Worth the investment.

That said, if I or anyone gets a nice gravel sized rock bouncing our way, it's gonna leave a mark. I agree with CamaroDreams07 (did I just say that ) it's not the paint, our cars are really WIDE and Curvy and asking for debris to hit them.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #25
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I thought of it as having more to do with paint needing to be eco-friendly (water based) these days at the cost of durability, which isn't unique to GM. I saw a red C7 at the NYAS this year and the paint looked like hell after a week of show attendants wiping the car down with dirty towels. Maybe it was the color that made it stand out, but it definitely seemed more swirled than other cars so maybe they're doing something with the chemistry that's resulting in softer paint...
That has absolutely nothing to do with the paint. That's from using improper techniques and using horribly dirty microfiber regardless of the hardness of the paint.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with the paint. That's from using improper techniques and using horribly dirty microfiber regardless of the hardness of the paint.
If it's the same crew of guys, why then would the paint on some cars show more damage than others? Different people isn't the answer - by the end of the show, I have to believe the guys with bad technique would have had time to work all the cars.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Gotta let it go man. Some people just can't handle not having an external entity to blame for their problems.

There's nothing wrong with the Camaro paint, trust me, but it's easier to blame somebody at GM than it is to take ownership.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #28
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
We will have to respectfully agree to disagree , dreams. I have been painting cars since 1988. While I concur it is not a problem unique to GM, current paint offerings are less durable from a chipping standpoint than some other eras. It is due to EPA requirements. I also know the solvent-based urethanes are better about it. I agree that any paint will swirl and have no idea if the surface is softer now or not. A scientist could surely give you some hardness tests that wouldn't really matter at the end of the day; we still have to play the card we were dealt. I don't have time or money to repaint my car right now due to the point I'm at in life with family but I'm 99% sure the paints I use would survive better from a chipping standpoint, despite the shape of the car. It's not fair to bag on GM as skimping to save money but it is fair to admit the paint chips super easy.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote