Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #127
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
DIY: Seafoam a Camaro LLT V6

My Oil is sooo clean all the time.
I only do a max of 3000 miles a year.
The oil always looks clear like olive oil :-)
Do I have to do the gas tank, sump part of this process followed by a full oil change, or can I just do the latter manifold processes only ?!

Last edited by redleader; 04-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #128
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Here's some interesting information on SeaFoaming over on LS1tech

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...ur-car-55.html
yeah there is NO WAY im going to try this
Old 04-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #129
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Do this instead of spraying into the IM and doing the booster line step.

Open the top of the IM (which is straight foward) . Then grab a rag and MIST some Simple Green or Brake Cleaner on it and wipe any oil you see off with it. Then dry off the inside with a dry rag. Then gap the spray or liquid version of Seafoam and half the bottle evenly into each injector port. Seal the top back up (be careful and don't over tighten the bolts as they not supposed to be too tight) Let it sit for about 5-10min then started the car up. It may take 2 or 3 trys but it'll start. You may also get a CEL code which is normal also. Let the car run for maybe 1 or 2 min then drive it. I've done this so I'm not just making shit up.

If you don't feel comfortable with this just do it the way I wrote it up in the first post. Good luck

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
May have to try this method, I have 41k miles on my car and I've yet to do a treatment on the valves. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #130
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
My Oil is sooo clean all the time.
I only do a max of 3000 miles a year.
The oil always looks clear like olive oil :-)
Do I have to to the gas tank, sump part of this process followed by a full oil change, or can I just do the latter manifold processes only ?!
Even if you only do the intake manifold part, change your oil after.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #131
redleader
redleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Even if you only do the intake manifold part, change your oil after.

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #132
midwestwinter

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Vert
Can't_C_Me, can you post of video of this process? Thx
midwestwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #133
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
I did the process on saturday as it was on the video. It went well. Alot of smoke came out. Then i drove about 45 miles and performed an oil change with synthetic oil.
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #134
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestwinter View Post
Can't_C_Me, can you post of video of this process? Thx
I was supposed to make a video awhile back lol. But I will make one soon now that it's warming up.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #135
redleader
redleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I was supposed to make a video awhile back lol. But I will make one soon now that it's warming up.

Is it warm yet !? :-)
Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #136
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Hey, just to start spreading the correct word around... If you think about it, all the gunk that accumulates on the valves is oil and other particulates, right? It couldn't be carbon, of all things, in the intake tract. Also the point of the catch can?

People say they don't believe seafoam does anything for a carbon problem and it's correct because there is no carbon problem... but the oil and sludge, on the other hand...

Btw. Seafoamed at 15k. Still running like brand new. Or better, obviously...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #137
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Hey, just to start spreading the correct word around... If you think about it, all the gunk that accumulates on the valves is oil and other particulates, right? It couldn't be carbon, of all things, in the intake tract. Also the point of the catch can?

People say they don't believe seafoam does anything for a carbon problem and it's correct because there is no carbon problem... but the oil and sludge, on the other hand...

Btw. Seafoamed at 15k. Still running like brand new. Or better, obviously...
I think the oil/combustion byproducts/whatever, once on the valves, gets cooked on them and turns to a carbon-like crust. Is carbon the exactly correct term? Probably not, but that's sure what it looks like.

In the intake manifold it remains an oily sludge, but on the valves, it's burnt on crusty black stuff. When I Seafoamed mine, it removed some of the larger "carbon" pieces, but much remained, which required manual cleaning. So in my case, it helped some, but not enough to resolve the problem completely.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #138
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Hm... Maybe I'll take my IM off within the next week.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #139
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Ok the scientific term for the build up on DI valves is coke. Coking occurs from petroleum being brought to high temperature. And when a petroleum base product is introduced to coke it will break it down. The IM sludge is just not brought above the coking temperature.
Keeping the oil off the valves, since there is no gasoline wash will help. Hence catch can
Coke/carbon same basic chemical composition.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #140
Jameg1011

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
Can you do this same method on an LFX? Does anyone have a DIY for the LFX if not?
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote