Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Then I'm not surprised it launches like a pooch! You need to get some air moving! The worst way you can launch a turbo car is launching it on no boost. That will make it ET really slow. Pay more attention! This is the most important part of drag racing! The other 11 seconds spent going down the track you can daydream, read the news paper, drink a coffee, but the first 2 seconds are CRITICAL!!
Isn't that gonna be real rough on the trans tho?
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #16
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
Isn't that gonna be real rough on the trans tho?
You just want to limit the time your doing it (seconds in a row) to as little as possible. Fluid temps sky rocket really fast, so try to keep it to around 5 seconds or less. The heat will damage the transmission more then the shock load, with your setup.
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #17
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I launch at about 2700 +- a couple hundred depending on weather and track prep at the track...

1900 on the street, +- a hundred or so. Any more just blows the tires off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #18
6th_gen_gino

@ashiu good to know thanks

@jason I'll target those numbers next time around
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 AM   #19
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Yes, you don't want to be sitting there with both pedals pinned to the floor for more than 10 seconds. You're not overloading the trans, but heat is an issue like Ashiu said. People have been doing this for DECADES to get the best ET out of a turbo car. It's absolutely critical, especially on older turbo cars with actual lag. My Sy and Ty both needed to be spooled to at least 10psi or they were complete slugs. Imagine trying to hold the car at the line with DRUM brakes! lol. It's much easier in a newer car.

Listen to what Jason said. You need to identify the optimum launch range to get you out of the hole with some very light wheel spin to get wheel speed up. It's gonna take some time and testing to find the right RPM. You can play with it on the street to get an idea, but an actual track surface that has been prepared with VHT/PJ9 will allow you to be more aggressive on the throttle. What tires are you running now? If you're interested in drag racing, I very much recommend buying a pair of drag radials and spare rims. Personally, I avoid used Drag Radials as they are easily damaged if not cared for properly. You never want to leave them out in the sun for extended periods, you never want to move them a single inch below 32 degrees, never use any kind of tire shine as it will seep into the tire and spread. Drag Radials are cheap enough to buy a fresh pair at the start of each season. You've already gone to the track enough to justify the cost! Trust me, the first time the car hooks up HARD and you run a sub 1.6 60' will feel like a religious experience to you! You'll swear you got rear ended by a freight train!
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Wait a gosh darn minute. Did I just see 11.9 second 1/4s (even with lazy launches)? Does anyone realize that is faster than stock C6?
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Beast-Y-Blue

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro turbo
Quote:
This past Saturday I made it to the track PBIR, got a couple of passes. Actually dig raced this time as requested. Note that they do not line us up at the sensors so they times will very a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2krk0vpimAi7zY
WTF!!!! That is crazy. Much better than i expected with a tune a just a ciuple bolt on. Inow im even more curious what that outcome would have been with E85.... i wish that flex fuel would get sorted out ...
Beast-Y-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #22
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast-Y-Blue View Post
WTF!!!! That is crazy. Much better than i expected with a tune a just a ciuple bolt on. Inow im even more curious what that outcome would have been with E85.... i wish that flex fuel would get sorted out ...
Bro you know how bad I wanted that e85, my tuner said it does wonders for these turbo cars, soon enough someone will figure it out
Old 07-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #23
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Yes, you don't want to be sitting there with both pedals pinned to the floor for more than 10 seconds. You're not overloading the trans, but heat is an issue like Ashiu said. People have been doing this for DECADES to get the best ET out of a turbo car. It's absolutely critical, especially on older turbo cars with actual lag. My Sy and Ty both needed to be spooled to at least 10psi or they were complete slugs. Imagine trying to hold the car at the line with DRUM brakes! lol. It's much easier in a newer car.

Listen to what Jason said. You need to identify the optimum launch range to get you out of the hole with some very light wheel spin to get wheel speed up. It's gonna take some time and testing to find the right RPM. You can play with it on the street to get an idea, but an actual track surface that has been prepared with VHT/PJ9 will allow you to be more aggressive on the throttle. What tires are you running now? If you're interested in drag racing, I very much recommend buying a pair of drag radials and spare rims. Personally, I avoid used Drag Radials as they are easily damaged if not cared for properly. You never want to leave them out in the sun for extended periods, you never want to move them a single inch below 32 degrees, never use any kind of tire shine as it will seep into the tire and spread. Drag Radials are cheap enough to buy a fresh pair at the start of each season. You've already gone to the track enough to justify the cost! Trust me, the first time the car hooks up HARD and you run a sub 1.6 60' will feel like a religious experience to you! You'll swear you got rear ended by a freight train!
Soon enough I'll look into some radials, at this point in time I think a catch can and fmic will be the next thing in line
Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #24
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Gino, what are your performance mods up to this point?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #25
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Gino, what are your performance mods up to this point?
STOCK!! Like all the dick heads at the track say lol

Injen open intake, zzp catless downpipe, rpm 2.5 throttle body with charge pipe,
Custom magnaflow axle backs, and tune thru Carreras performance and #dannytechtuning. Back seats removed, stock tires, A8
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #26
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Quote:
STOCK!! Like all the dick heads at the track say lol

Injen open intake, zzp catless downpipe, rpm 2.5 throttle body with charge pipe,
Custom magnaflow axle backs, and tune thru Carreras performance and #dannytechtuning. Back seats removed, stock tires, A8
Thank You! Your car is running strong. Looking forward to more of your runs.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #27
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Thank You! Your car is running strong. Looking forward to more of your runs.
I really appreciate that... I'll be installing a catch catch and fmic in the next 2 months and retuning so I'll be at the track around the end of both of those installations
Old 07-27-2017, 06:20 AM   #28
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Quote:
I really appreciate that... I'll be installing a catch catch and fmic in the next 2 months and retuning so I'll be at the track around the end of both of those installations