Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
TheBat-Dad

Drives: SS 1LE
V6 vs 1LE - Occasional Tracking

Hi All,

I've been looking at Camaro's for a couple of years now. I've always liked the styling (subjectives be damned) and the performance of the 6th gen is really impressive. This spring/summer looks like it's finally the time to take the plunge. With that said I do have a question for those who track their cars.

I would like to get a V6 camaro, as an SS is likely too much car for someone starting out tracking like myself, and cost is an issue. My question for V6 owners is (or others who would know), would a standard V6 be good enough for occasional track duty? Or is it necessary (or just really smart) to step up to the V6 1LE? I ask because I would prefer a car with an auto transmission. I could potentially swing a MT but it would be a PITA to convince the wife to relent on that factor.

Some background:
This car won’t be a daily, it’s going to my 2nd car, a combination weekend backroad/3-4 times per year track car/occasional road trip car for the wife and I (when we aren’t bringing the dog). Budget is around $30k CDN. I’ve never been on a track before but I’ve been angling towards trying it out for a few years, and this summer it looks like it’s finally going to happen. For reference, my main car right now is a Volvo V60 T6 wagon which I love.

I am also open to other suggestions for cars if you folks have any. The checklist of things I am looking for is:
-Not a convertible, personally just don’t like them
-Some power, but doesn’t need to be a lot
-Good handler, since I want a track capable car
-Good sound
-A sprinkling of practicality and comfort, as I mentioned I would like to road trip in this car occasionally
So based on those requirements I have narrowed down to a camaro (and a BMW 228, just missing the sound) that ticks pretty much all those boxes.

Thoughts and help are much appreciated!
TheBat-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Been checking on the Canadian market for a Camaro for about 6-7 months and I can tell you, you will never find a 1LE for 30k. I have only seen one and it was gone within a day or two. V6 are rare, unless you are not looking for the RS package. They mostly come without it, if not they are way over 30k.

I am looking myself for a Camaro with RS and tech pack, preferably in hyper blue or nightfall grey. Manual would be preferable. Still haven't found it on the used market...

I hope you're patient haha.
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
TheBat-Dad

If I was getting the non 1le it would be around $30k. If I sprung for the 1LE then budget bumps up to $35k, there are 3 I believe around that price right now. That budget jump is also part of the consideration for v6 vs 1le.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Honestly, if this isn't a DD (and don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be shrude here, I also own a 1LT V6) and this is a weekend / occasional track car, I would not get either of them.. you will eventually become bored and realize the price difference between a 1LE V6 and a 1SS is so negligible that you could have EASILY have had an SS. Right NOW you don't want an SS and I've been down that path but trust me, when you start playing more and more..you WILL want an SS.

A 1LE V6 uses the same suspension parts as the SS so the only difference here is weight, a 1LE V6 will outhandle a SS but not by so much of a margin that the SS is inferior because the SS makes up for it in all out acceleration.

The MSRP price difference between a 1LE V6 and 1SS is $2,000 at best, and you are tenfold more likely to get a rebate on a 1SS than you will a 1LE meaning the price will likely be equal...if not even less than a 1LE.

If you're DEAD SET on the V6 though, the answer is 1LE because your car is not a DD, you want the most out of it and the most performance.. The standard V6 is a great handling car as well but for your purposes of only just garaging it and not DD'ing it, it sounds like its more intended for sports and I don't see the point of buying a base model car when you already have something base to drive around town in... ...you're looking for a performer, you just haven't fully come to terms with that yet :P
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
brzfan

Drives: '18 Camero V6 1LE
For myself, the 1LE package is absolutely worth the $5k difference. It comes with modifications that I'd want for the track anyway... camber adjustment, additional (necessary) cooling, upgraded dampers, and dual mode exhaust because racecar.

The BRZ is also work looking into. It's a great car for learning how to drive on the track and will be cheaper to run than the Camaro. The tires are like 1/3 the price. Other consumables are similar in cost, but the Camaro might wear through them quicker.
brzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
davidep82
David@SFG

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
TheBat-Dad:

I think you ask a good question. My thoughts:
Cars that are not built for the track do not survive will with track use. By built for track use I mean appropriate components such as coolers (Engine, transmission, differential), brakes and suspension. 1LEs are built for track use.

V8 or V6? If you are new to roadracing, I would recommend the V6. You will learn how to drive. Your right foot cannot compensate for a lack of talent. The V8 will have more thrill (or scare).

Reference: I raced an E production Maxda in SCCA for 10 years. That was a 2,800 lb car with with 215 hp. On shorter, tighter courses our lap times were quicker than the AS (American Sedan) cars (Camaros and Mustangs with > 400hp).

If you want to drag race, don't go without the V8.

As to price, I order the 1LE V6 in January of 2017. It was delivered June of 2017. Now has 13,000 miles on it. I ordered with the Recaro seat option (about $2,000); I paid the msrp price of $34,000.

In my option, the 1LE V6 is currently the best trackday value in the market.

If you get the V6, add the GM Performance intake package an tune. It is worth the money.

BTW, I did not like the Goodyear runflats and changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s non run flats.

In my option, there is no trackable automatic transmission option unless it is part of a track package - 1LE; see ZL1-1LE.

Good luck.
davidep82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
ddanj

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
MSRP in the US:
Base V6 1LE: $32895
Base 1SS: $37995

That’s about $5k difference.
The V6 will cost less in insurance, gas, maintenance.

I havn’t tracked my v6 1LE. But I love daily driving it.
3100 - 08/19/2017 TPW 09/11/2017 | 4800 - 09/20/2017 train journey done
3400 - 08/25/2017 | 5000 - 09/22/2017 at the dealer, and picked up!
4300 - 09/12/2017 Built! VIN available
4B00 - 09/14/2017 move to rail yard

Last edited by ddanj; 03-24-2018 at 10:38 PM.
ddanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Been checking on the Canadian market for a Camaro for about 6-7 months and I can tell you, you will never find a 1LE for 30k. I have only seen one and it was gone within a day or two. V6 are rare, unless you are not looking for the RS package. They mostly come without it, if not they are way over 30k.

I am looking myself for a Camaro with RS and tech pack, preferably in hyper blue or nightfall grey. Manual would be preferable. Still haven't found it on the used market...

I hope you're patient haha.

I have what you are looking for pm me an offer you never know
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat-Dad View Post
Hi All,

I've been looking at Camaro's for a couple of years now. I've always liked the styling (subjectives be damned) and the performance of the 6th gen is really impressive. This spring/summer looks like it's finally the time to take the plunge. With that said I do have a question for those who track their cars.

I would like to get a V6 camaro, as an SS is likely too much car for someone starting out tracking like myself, and cost is an issue. My question for V6 owners is (or others who would know), would a standard V6 be good enough for occasional track duty? Or is it necessary (or just really smart) to step up to the V6 1LE? I ask because I would prefer a car with an auto transmission. I could potentially swing a MT but it would be a PITA to convince the wife to relent on that factor.

Some background:
This car won’t be a daily, it’s going to my 2nd car, a combination weekend backroad/3-4 times per year track car/occasional road trip car for the wife and I (when we aren’t bringing the dog). Budget is around $30k CDN. I’ve never been on a track before but I’ve been angling towards trying it out for a few years, and this summer it looks like it’s finally going to happen. For reference, my main car right now is a Volvo V60 T6 wagon which I love.

I am also open to other suggestions for cars if you folks have any. The checklist of things I am looking for is:
-Not a convertible, personally just don’t like them
-Some power, but doesn’t need to be a lot
-Good handler, since I want a track capable car
-Good sound
-A sprinkling of practicality and comfort, as I mentioned I would like to road trip in this car occasionally
So based on those requirements I have narrowed down to a camaro (and a BMW 228, just missing the sound) that ticks pretty much all those boxes.

Thoughts and help are much appreciated!

The v6 with the stick is a beast. Up there with my 2002 ls1 z28. You can not go wrong with one
Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I'd really like to drive a V6 1LE, I think it'd be a blast.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #11
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Although the V6 1LE is an awesome car no doubt, you must realize that the guy recommending you hold out for a 1SS has a point. Whether you take that seriously or not, has to do with what you meant by "cost is an issue". Just how much of an issue is it? You're already driving a Volvo and you're cross shopping the 2-series beamer who's MSRP starts right about where the 1SS does. If you can afford the 1SS, I'd say go for it. The 1SS has most of the upgrades given to the V6 1LE anway.

Remember that you don't need a 1LE to go to the track. If you are just learning, you aren't going to be doing tons of blistering laps around the track burning through tires and brakes. Even a base turbo 4 or V6 would get you out onto the track and having fun, no question. Either of these cars would tick all boxes on your checklist. So that begs the question, why not save a whole lot of money and just pick up a base v6. Drive it for a couple years, have some fun road trips, try out the track a few times. There's a new generation coming in a few short years. By that time you'll know if you want to dive in and go for high performance. If so, it gives you a few years to save up, and then you can trade in for a 7th gen SS or even an SS 1LE.

The base V6 IS enough to get you out on the track. You aren't going to blow up your engine or destroy your brakes. If you went that route, then your biggest upgrade would be a nice set of tires. That would give you a ton more confidence in the turns and make your time on the track more fun.

But yea, just remember you are entering the market during the twilight years of this generation, so my recommendation is don't make any huge decisions now. You could waste months looking for some rare 1LE V6, overpay for it, and then what? In the mean time you could be out having fun for less money, and gathering information about what you want to do in a couple years. Also remember that you are on an enthusiast website and of course everyone is going to tell you "Get the 1LE!!" but the truth is, the 6th gen is a whole lot of car even stripped. It handles great and with a set of tires you will be set for what you are saying you want to do, and you'll be well under budget. Not a bad place to be, even if only for a few years.

Last edited by protovack; 03-26-2018 at 01:21 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #12
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Although the V6 1LE is an awesome car no doubt, you must realize that the guy recommending you hold out for a 1SS has a point. Whether you take that seriously or not, has to do with what you meant by "cost is an issue". Just how much of an issue is it? You're already driving a Volvo and you're cross shopping the 2-series beamer who's MSRP starts right about where the 1SS does. If you can afford the 1SS, I'd say go for it. The 1SS has most of the upgrades given to the V6 1LE anway.

Also remember that you don't need a 1LE to go to the track. If you are just learning, you aren't going to be doing tons of blistering laps around the track burning through tires and brakes. Even a base turbo 4 or V6 would get you out onto the track and having fun, no question. Either of these cars would tick all boxes on your checklist. So that begs the question, why not save a whole lot of money and just pick up a base v6. Drive it for a couple years, have some fun road trips, try out the track a few times. There's a new generation coming in a few short years. By that time you'll know if you want to dive in and go for high performance. If so, it gives you a few years to save up, and then you can trade in for a 7th gen SS or even an SS 1LE.

The base V6 IS enough to get you out on the track. You aren't going to blow up your engine or destroy your brakes. If you went that route, then your biggest upgrade would be a nice set of tires. That would give you a ton more confidence in the turns and make your time on the track more fun.

But yea, just remember you are entering the market during the twilight years of this generation, so my recommendation is don't make any huge decisions now. You could waste months looking for some rare 1LE V6, overpay for it, and then what? In the mean time you could be out having fun for less money, and gathering information about what you want to do in a couple years. Also remember that you are on an enthusiast website and of course everyone is going to tell you "Get the 1LE!!" but the truth is, the 6th gen is a whole lot of car even stripped. It handles great and with a set of tires you will be set for what you are saying you want to do.
pretty solid advice on a new twist from the masses. stig eh.
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:35 AM   #13
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:

Remember that you don't need a 1LE to go to the track. If you are just learning, you aren't going to be doing tons of blistering laps around the track burning through tires and brakes. Even a base turbo 4 or V6 would get you out onto the track and having fun, no question. Either of these cars would tick all boxes on your checklist. So that begs the question, why not save a whole lot of money and just pick up a base v6. Drive it for a couple years, have some fun road trips, try out the track a few times. There's a new generation coming in a few short years. By that time you'll know if you want to dive in and go for high performance. If so, it gives you a few years to save up, and then you can trade in for a 7th gen SS or even an SS 1LE.

But yea, just remember you are entering the market during the twilight years of this generation, so my recommendation is don't make any huge decisions now. You could waste months looking for some rare 1LE V6, overpay for it, and then what? In the mean time you could be out having fun for less money, and gathering information about what you want to do in a couple years. Also remember that you are on an enthusiast website and of course everyone is going to tell you "Get the 1LE!!" but the truth is, the 6th gen is a whole lot of car even stripped. It handles great and with a set of tires you will be set for what you are saying you want to do, and you'll be well under budget. Not a bad place to be, even if only for a few years.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #14
TheBat-Dad

Quote:

This is the advice I am looking for! Thanks a lot for the insight.

Re: the 2 series, I would be getting a used/cpo one, not a new one. The early depreciation on german cars always makes it worth it to let someone else take the hit.

Re: cost. Cost is an issue, but only so much to convince the wife. If she was "do whatever you want" it would have been settled already, but alas, happy wife happy life such and such. I could easily swing for an SS, based on what we make (not dick-measuring, just fyi), but it's hard enough to justify a $30k toy, which she has agreed to, let alone a $40-45k toy. Further data point for context, my wife grew up in a fairly poor-at-times home, so all of this does seem a bit crazy to her.

Of course the easy solution is to test drive everything. Although maybe ignorance is bliss when it comes to the SS, as I'm sure I would love it and not be able to want anything else after a test drive.