Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #1
spike87

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Dead Battery?

Hi all,

I went to open my 2014 2LT this morning and there was no response with the key fob. Got in the car using the key hole on the drivers door handle (first time ever using that) and the car is completely dead except for one or two lights flickering on the dash and the window wipers juddering slightly. The drivers window started lowering slightly too but I've been unable to get anything else going.

The car is almost 3 years old, under warranty for 8 more days. I've had no problems before or anything that would suggest the battery was on its way out. Being in the desert in 50 degree heat most days during the summer I guess it has taken its toll. Would the battery likely be covered under warranty?

Thanks!
spike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
A battery has it's own warranty, just as tires do.

Install on my new one last fall was ~$15US.
If you can get a jump from a friend to get you going you could save the cost of a tow.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 AM   #3
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Yeah heat will kill a battery, just as cold will...Like CamaroFred stated get a jump if you don't have a dealer there any parts shop should prorate which would make the new battery cost less...You sure you didn't leave something on that would draw power???

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
spike87

The Chevy dealer here is really helpful so I'm hoping they'll replace under warranty and I'll try and jump start it to take it to them.

Pretty sure I didn't leave anything running yesterday. Very strange how it just died and there was no warning or dodgy starts over the past few weeks. Running fine yesterday and completely dead today. Could it be anything more serious? So glad this happened today and not in a couple of weeks when it wouldn't be covered under warranty!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
batteries and tires usually have their own Prorated warranty and usually it would not matter if your bumper to bumper warranty has expired.
with a prorated warranty you will get a new battery at a reduced cost based on the age of the battery....some batteries are 5 year, some 7 year warranty etc...
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Your scenario is about what I experienced earlier this year on my 2014 SS and late last year on my 2014 Sierra,which uses the identical battery.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
A battery has it's own warranty, just as tires do.

Install on my new one last fall was ~$15US.
If you can get a jump from a friend to get you going you could save the cost of a tow.

Unless the battery is really dead and doesn't put out enough cranking amps. In that case a jump may not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
spike87

I've just returned home and been told by a neighbour that my car radio has been playing all day. The drivers window is fully open and I'm unable to close it. I'm not sure it's the battery at fault now as when I insert the key and turn the ignition some electrics do work, the gauge shows the battery is at 12v and I have noticed there's a message on the dash saying "service theft deterrent system" with a padlock visible. It seems as though the car is locked up!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
sounds like someone is screwing with your car! read horror stories on here about how easy these are to steal. check under the hood for tampering with ECU
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote