Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #15
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
I get that HP bug every now and then, but then I realize that I never really push my car to the limit. It's a mental thing I guess... Mine is paid for also, and I still get compliments on it all the time.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeSS View Post
Watching all these new $85,000 cars come off the assembly line with 800 HP is mind boggling to me, but hey if you have the money that's your choice. Also I read all these threads about spending big bucks to get more HP, again that's your money so do with as you please. For me, my stock SS is plenty fast and there will always be another car faster no matter how much I spend. Maybe if I was at the track it would be important, but I don't go there. Does anyone agree with me?
I can appreciate that such cars (and builds) exist without feeling any envy, if that's what you're getting at. There's always been a few over-the-top cars (if with somewhat less power in years past), and if I'd ever felt the need to challenge them at their own best game, I'd have built something different rather than bought an already finished product.

For me with more of a traditional backyard hotrodder outlook, it's meant more to pick my own mods and do all or nearly all of my own builds than to buy something that was faster either straight off the showroom floor or out the door of a high-end shop. Then it's been up to me as a driver to extract the performance I was hoping for. More fun at the track to drive a car faster than it looks like it should go than not be able to drive a theoretically faster car up to its potential.

Norm
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #17
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Not much you really can do with 800 HP when you're sitting in traffic.
HAH! My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
BumbleBeeV62011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeSS View Post
Watching all these new $85,000 cars come off the assembly line with 800 HP is mind boggling to me, but hey if you have the money that's your choice. Also I read all these threads about spending big bucks to get more HP, again that's your money so do with as you please. For me, my stock SS is plenty fast and there will always be another car faster no matter how much I spend. Maybe if I was at the track it would be important, but I don't go there. Does anyone agree with me?
I work with a guy that is like this. He likes to throw money around and, I suppose, try to impress everybody with what he has. He recently bought a 70 nova rolling chassis and, of course, has big plans for it. Now, I'm normally all for helping a guy plan and build a car, but this time is different. This person used to be a close friend of mine, but we barely speak to each other any more. He likes to pick on me and another friend of mine who also drives a 5th gen Camaro. We constantly hear how our cars are slow, or a POS, etc. We both are life long gear heads with automotive backgrounds, while the owner of the nova has no business holding a wrench. The difference between the two sides here is that one side will build what they want with their own two hands. The other side will be paying somebody else to do the work.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is, some people just want that $85k car to say "look at me, I got money". Some want it simply as a status symbol. As someone above already said, just because you spent a fortune on buying a fancy car doesn't mean you are king dingaling. An example, while I was living in Houston I was a regular at rankin and westheimer watching street racing. One night I watched a Toyota mr2 whoop the hell out of a Lamborghini. Of course the Lamborghini had a lot more money invested in it, but it didn't win.
BumbleBeeV62011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
BumbleBeeV62011

I'm one of those that say "built, not bought". To me, it is far more rewarding to take what is already a good platform and turn it into something even better (to me anyway). I don't build it to be the fastest or to impress people. I build my cars to have the sound and feel that I want it to have and because I love working on cars. I know somebody is always going to be faster than me, but I'm no hardcore racer anymore. I go to the track about once a month but I haven't raced in over a year, and that was racing my motorcycle lol. I understand where the OP is coming from. For some people the 5th gen is just fine the way it rolled off the showroom floor. Then there are some who can't leave good enough alone. To each his own. As long as you are happy with your investment.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #20

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Despite the OP's claims... if he took the time to start a thread on this topic, then he must not be as happy as he claims.

Reminds me of the 6 cylinder threads proclaiming how much they love their V6 and don't need a V8.
I think I see a trend here....
4510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #21
BumbleBeeV62011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4510 View Post
Despite the OP's claims... if he took the time to start a thread on this topic, then he must not be as happy as he claims.

Reminds me of the 6 cylinder threads proclaiming how much they love their V6 and don't need a V8.
Lol I like my v6 but I didn't initially buy it for me. Hoping to move up to the v8 m6 in a year or two. We are in the process of buying a house right now
Old 07-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #22
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Let's not judge, people. It is kind of refreshing to hear someone happy with their car exactly how it is. For a daily driver....these cars are plenty fast and handle damn well. Sometimes we ALL get caught up in the "mine's bigger than yours" drama. Do I need 1000hp to cruise my car to rhe drive-in or Starbucks only on sunny days....or to my work cubicle every day....probably not. Exhilarating. ..yes but not likely. If I'm drag racing regularly, sure.
Like they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." Love it for how it makes you feel.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!

Last edited by Avenging Orange; 07-03-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeV62011 View Post
Lol I like my v6 but I didn't initially buy it for me. Hoping to move up to the v8 m6 in a year or two. We are in the process of buying a house right now
I've no issue with any Camaro, V6, V8, etc. etc. They are all great cars. I've had V6s as rentals and found them very nimble, plenty of power and comfort. At one point I considered doing a V6 w/supercharger just for something different. But I got a good deal on my 13 SS as a leftover and went with it. (Besides I like yellow)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Let's not judge, people. It is kind of refreshing to hear someone happy with their car exsctly how it is. For a daily driver....these cars are plenty fast and handle damn well. Sometimes we ALL get caught up in the "mine's bigger than yours" drama. Do I need 1000hp to cruise my car to rhe drive-in or Starbucks only on sunny days....or to my work cubicle every day....probably not. Exhilarating. ..yes but not likely. If I'm drag racing regularly, sure.
Like they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." Love it for how it makes you feel.
I'm with you! I am completely happy with my SS. But part of the enjoyment of the car is to build my expression of art. To find the look and feel that I wanted. There was nothing wrong with the factory SS... I just had a few things I wanted to try. There is real joy in working through a project, trying something, changing it if it didn't work and doing something else. Getting the right exhaust note, taming a recalcitrant rear end and finding the elusive traction. Did it cost money, sure it did. But unlike the OP post, it wasn't done to impress anyone but myself. The car was my canvas and I painted my art.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Mines paid for and out of warranty so I had 2 options. Let it sit there broken with stuck AFM lifters and bent push rods, or upgrade it as part of the repair process. If GM didn't add AFM to the L99 it would still be a stock motor.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
There is always going to be someone faster
Old 07-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #27
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
understood.im quite satisfied with my 6 cylinder,and even then i have to watch my speed to avoid tickets.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #28
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4510 View Post

I don't need a V8 and I love my V6.

What do most people who have faster cars actually do with them? Goose it from a light or step on it on the freeway to get around someone? Once they hit traffic, the slower cars catch right up to them. To add insult to injury, you get used to the power and then you want more because the car starts feeling slow.

Being faster than 85 percent of the normal cars you see everyday is fine by me. And, the V6 Camaro is one of those cars. I'm happy.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote