Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Any converts?

I'm 10 days or so down the road from totaling my 2SS, and things are looking more positive now. Insurance was generous, the gap was small (and insured), and I have begun the process of getting organized for my next Camaro.

I am thinking it's going to be a ZL1, which is what I wanted all along.

I love manuals, they're my automatic preference. (pun was not intended) And I was thoroughly satisfied with the manual in my 2SS. But I know my wife was always kind of pissed that she couldn't drive the car, even though she was really cool about it. So now I might be wobbling a bit on the issue.

I know the A10 is about as good as autos get. I know it shifts fast as hell, I know the auto car will move quicker in a straight line. No debate.

So without wanting to ignite the transmission equivalent of the Chevy vs. Ford debate, my question is this:

Did any of you that bought ZL1s begin your search for a manual, and end up with the A10? Did anyone test drive and become converted? It's a big committment, and I am just trying to examine all the angles.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
There are quite a few posts similar to yours in various threads and I haven’t read any that regretted choosing the A10 over the manual. The A10 is that good and it probably will be in all auto 2019 Camaros.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
I have both and I can't say one is better than the other.

a10 pros
quick, quick, quick
don't have to worry about sitting at lights or traffic
wife will be happy, (happy wife, happy life)
smooth but solid

a10 negatives
shifts a lot
don't have full control like a manual

M6 pros
fully controlled shifting
more connectivity to car when driving
wife won't be driving (ha, ha)

M6 negatives
poor 1/4 mile times ( higher first gear)
sitting at lights or in traffic

best this to do is test drive if you can but keep in mind the a10 learns to adapt to your driving style so it might not be what you like right away ( it takes a few miles)
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Pwiegand

Drives: 2018 ZL1 in sweet hyper blue
I drove a M6 in my 98 Camaro SS for 20 years and loved every last minute of driving time, even in traffic. I now have an A10 and can honestly say that I don't miss the stick. I was really worried that I would, but I don't. The performance shifting in sport and track mode are a wonder of modern tech and so fun I just don't miss the manual at all.
Pwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
My goodness not another A10 or M6 thread.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Thanks for the replies, folks. I do appreciate them. I ended up jumping in last night. (A10. I actually shocked myself. It's pretty amazing.)
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I went with the A10, even though the test drive was more fun with the manual. I've got a 6-speed in my Cobra and can get my speed shift fix.

I wouldn't change a thing, especially with the M6 dragstrip issues.

With the A10, I don't use manual mode very often. The 10 speed narrow gear range requires shifting a lot and when it goes into performance shift mode it does what it is supposed to do. You can just stab the throttle and it will engage the mode.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I struggled on this option myself & at one point told folks I would never have a hot rod that didn't have 3 pedals, but just had to go with the technology & gladly ate crow...a few of the m6 guys will be along with their rabid banter & bring out the tape measure. I was watching some Formula 1 today & had to wonder if any top shelf drivers could even fathom not having two hands on the wheel in the most sophisticated cars in the world.

Deal is, there is no bad choice & it sorta sticks in my craw why we bitch about this crap back & forth...it's time to just be enthusiasts again & support the options we have as car guys. I'll admit there are times I wish there was some rowing, but I'm glad my ultimate decision was the auto. If I had the coin there would be a 1le next to the A10!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
OMG...again?? LOL, just joking, kinda but not really...

When I heard about the A10, it was a must have. That is just me. If the dealership had a M6 then I would have bought it. So I guess it really wasn't a must have but a highly desirable. But my heart skipped a beat when I found out it was indeed the A10! Not everyone shares this sentiment. Both transmissions are excellent. And you'll love the car either way. For me, if I was gonna get the M6 trans then I would just get the ZL1 1LE. But like I said, you'll enjoy the car either way.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Guess it mostly depends on what your plans are. If you're a drag racer the A10 is the way to go. I stayed with the M6 since I just use it for weekend fun on the street and back roads. I could have been very tempted to go with the A10, but the extra $2400 wasn't worth it to me.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #11
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
No issues from my A10 and not a regret ever... in traffic or just cruising is just so fun..
No shifting worries as this has was more power than the SS. I traded in my 16 SS Convertible and picked up a 18 Convertible. I would never look at the manual, for my weekend car, I don’t want to work it, I love �� just hanging on at Full throttle and top down... and busting into the 10’s...Maybe 9.99 by the end of the season...lol

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote