Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
theflea42
#938 of 1524

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro
I'm happy with the 350-360 hp that the ls3 puts down at the wheels!
theflea42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #16
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
I'm happy with the 323 hp my V6 puts out at the crank - if I had 700 hp my license would quickly go up in smoke Plus I gots to have me a vert so I'd take a ZL1 vert over the Dodge any day.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #17
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I wonder, have I exposed something here no magazine, pro-tuner or video vamp on YouTube wants to admit, while gushing over the massive man-power of any big horsepower car? Or...have us uninitiated not seen the light? But if you live in suburbia, USA, how TF do you really enjoy all that muscle?

Not that that will stop me from adding -some- mods someday, but it’ll be interesting to watch my son in law evolve with his Hellcat. He sold a (beloved) Dodge pickup to get it. Will he ever look back?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 AM   #18
arussh

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs, 1990 iroc-z
Im 600 ish at the wheels and its a blast. i run 315 35 20 mt drag radial cuz they are the only tires that allow any kind of traction on the street. There are 3 kitties in my neighbourhood and none of them want to play although to be fair they are all pretty much stock.
Im waiting for the demon thats rumoured to be coming this spring to the hood, that should be a good indicator if ill need to mod up a little more.
2011 2SS/RS 6.4 sleeved ls7, ported CTSV supercharger; zl1 hat,fuel pump with Kenny Bell boosta pump,102 throttle body,6l90e g-force driveshaft,zl1 rearend and axels, ID 850s, dual pass heat exchanger; Auto Tech electric water pump;160 degree themostat; ls7 pushrods,rockers; Metco polished pulley kit, 2.4ud; ls3 assessory bracket kit;2 Hayes trans coolers; CAI intake; Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers; 3" Magnaflow exhaust; Alkycontrol meth kit; p;Elite catch can; BMR 1" lowering springs,
ZL1 10" front 11" rear rims, trans and engine tune by wally a.
arussh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #19
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Remember spinning aint winning, a much lower horsepower car that hooks and goes with beat him in a 1/8 mile but you must always know your limits and advantages.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 AM   #20
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
How long have you had this kind of power? If a while, am I right that if you’re burnin’ that kind of coal the traction control is working the brakes harder?
I don't believe traction control is over working my brakes because under normal driving, she is like any other car, just meaner and louder.

I bought my 'vert last year with the intent of raising the hp substantially. I had looked at drop top ZL1's, but found that many of them had suffered minor body damage. I suspect the owners were turning off traction control, burying the go pedal and losing control of the car.

In the end, I decided to buy a low mile SS and build a car from there. Nothing like the feeling of tons of horsepower under your foot. Managing that power responsibly requires patience and understanding.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #21
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
I’m at 530rwhp in my convertible and with my suspension mods and good tires, MPSS 285-35-20’s, it is just right. I have 3.70’s also with my auto and the acceleration out of corners and from a roll is great without too much spinning. I have beat cars with over 650rwhp due to their cars spinning or out of control. Rear wheel, heavy muscle cars are really limited on the street. I wanted a well balanced street car that was great for all the canyons out here. I’m not interested in drag racing or running drag radials. I want a multi purpose car. Although, the supercharger was the most enjoyable mod I’ve done, combined with great suspension, gears and tires, I think anymore than 600rwhp on street tires and without the proper suspension, etc. is just excessive for a street car. Again, just my opinion from my experiences.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #22
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I have the big cat. It will do an awesome burntout and yes it needs more rubber for the power it has if you are really pushing it. But drive it normal and its not any different than anyother car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #23
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
830whp here. hooks good with drag radials. Sometimes you just have to know how to work the pedal.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #24
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I am at 680 crank HP (573rwhp) and it is a blast to drive. I am older than most of you probably and don't feel the need to show the world what I have. Saying that, I am not afraid to open her up when the road is lonely. I live in a country setting with lots of curves and hills.

As has already been said, I don't need anymore than this for the street but, it really drives like just like my 14' SS I had.

It takes a measured foot on the pedal when in downtown traffic and like has been said, at times in slow traffic you will have to have clutch it due to the cam in it. It is probably the last muscle I will own and am just having the time of my life owning it.

Here is a sound video. Also check out the video of the build from Vengeance in my sig.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #25
Taylortoons

My first stop with the Camaro was 550, but it wasn't enough for me. This car is big and heavy, so it was begging for more. At 775, I believe she is now a great straight line street cruiser that can scare the sh$t out of just about anyone, if needed.

Somewhere down the road, I'll tackle the suspension and rims, but for now, I'm happy with where I'm at, and I know how to drive it. I agree with Jeff - it's all in the way you work the pedals.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #26
Taylortoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
I am at 680 crank HP (573rwhp) and it is a blast to drive. I am older than most of you probably and don't feel the need to show the world what I have. Saying that, I am not afraid to open her up when the road is lonely. I live in a country setting with lots of curves and hills.

As has already been said, I don't need anymore than this for the street but, it really drives like just like my 14' SS I had.

It takes a measured foot on the pedal when in downtown traffic and like has been said, at times in slow traffic you will have to have clutch it due to the cam in it. It is probably the last muscle I will own and am just having the time of my life owning it.

Here is a sound video. Also check out the video of the build from Vengeance in my sig.
Holy smokes, Batman!! All that in a Z/28. You probably have one of the best Camaro setups out there. Nice work!!

Oh, and by the way, it you're double nickels or higher, you're in good company. LOL!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It depends on the user. Different cars are made for different people. A car may seem "too powerful" to you, where someone else will want to mod the 700 hp car way beyond its stock rating.

It also depends on the use. For normal commuting and errands, a Camaro SS with 400 + hp may seem excessive, so it begs the question that the Hellcat will be a handful.

The Hellcat is a wild car made during the wild times of mega horsepower. This period may go down as the next golden era of muscle cars, although with a slightly different spin. I am loving every minute of it.

Enjoy the horsepower wars while you can, because one day, as before, it will be gone.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #28
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
It depends on the user. Different cars are made for different people. A car may seem "too powerful" to you, where someone else will want to mod the 700 hp car way beyond its stock rating.

It also depends on the use. For normal commuting and errands, a Camaro SS with 400 + hp may seem excessive, so it begs the question that the Hellcat will be a handful.

The Hellcat is a wild car made during the wild time of mega horsepower. This period may go down as the next golden era of muscle cars, although with a slightly different spin. I am loving every minute of it.

Enjoy the horsepower wars while you can, because one day, as before, it will be gone.
I used to think that too, but when companies like Tesla are building the fastest car ever tested by Motortrend, I believe power is live and well. Its just going to contiune in a very different package.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote