Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #225
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Here's the base model; no SS, no aero package, no red side stripe, no white letter tires. This has a couple of revisions the other models have now: I fixed the lower body in the front passenger corner on the perspective view; it stuck out too far compared to the side view. I also have a better running light design in the front.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept 10base.jpg
Views: 27108
Size:  172.1 KB

Even as the base model this car has that classy road GT look which is exactly what I was going for. The SS and aero package gives it more of a racecar look which is what it's supposed to do.

Top view is almost done; starting to work on back view.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #226
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06

HELLA YES!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #227
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post

HELLA YES!
Glass roof option ?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #228
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a preliminary top view. Not the most exciting view but part of the set of "views". Here I've drawn an idea I had for the hood vents. These are in black so they're visible but they could also be body colored. The idea here is these are normally closed and sealed so if the car is sitting in the rain, snow or being washed there's no issue of what to do with water going down into the engine compartment.

These would be controlled by the throttle so the more you push the throttle, the more they open up. At idle they can be either closed or barely open which is a programming option. I envision them being pulled down in the front to open up the engine bay for air pressure release and heat extraction. If you blip the throttle, they would open and close accordingly. They are controlled by the computer so they could also automatically close when it's raining or have the option of driver control where you simply either have them closed, or if going on the track you could have them stay full open.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept Top.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  130.5 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #229
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Great job!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #230
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here are 4 style variations for back ends.

Back A is basically the same as a previous design early in this thread. Back B has a style that echoes the front grill styling, and moves the backup lights down to the black bar that crosses the license plate area. Both A and B have smaller winglets and a wider trunk lid between them. A and B have the round tail lights inspired by the 1970 Camaro.

Back C changes the styling to thin and wide, and uses tail lights that are heritage inspired from the 67-69 years. The black bar with the reverse lights is separated by the license plate area. Back D is similar to C but removes the vertical center line in the tail lights to be slightly more modern yet still has heritage inspiration. The black bar goes right to the edge of the license plate area. Both C and D have wider winglets than A and B, and the trunk lid width is reduced accordingly.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept Backs.jpg
Views: 9668
Size:  149.1 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #231
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Great job!
Thank you

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #232
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Getting down to cleaner and simpler. Got the perspective views of the new wheels done. For these two I actually lowered the top rear fender to smooth out the transition from front to back; going for the NASA/fighter jet look. On view D1 I put the arch back in the rear wheel well and moved up the side marker lights, CAMARO and red accent line appropriately. I also took out the front running light bars in the grill and made them round.

For view D2 it still has the previous version of the side except that I lowered the top rear fender like view D1. I experimented with some different elements in the front; I kept the stylized running lights in the upper grill but took out the bar lights in the brake cooling ducts and made the fog lights yellow.

Right now I'm kinda liking the front of D2 but with the rear wheel well and side of D1. The side of D1 has a heftier look to it.

Attachment 548300
D2 reminds me too much of a Fiat Coupe to be honest. Glad you went away from that "straight back fender" idea.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #233
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Revisions and variations. I've corrected several of the body lines based on the side view and made some variations. The winglets are now the correct height. I've added a beveled edge to the back "cutout". I changed the license plate area from a closed cutout to a cut "in" where it cuts in from the body starting at the bottom of the license plate recess.

I still have more work to do on body dimensions and look; doing top, side and back views lets you see issues with design, dimensions and placement that enable you to correct or redesign. That's all in the works.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept Backs2.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  109.7 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #234
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

A little background philosophy behind the intentions and thinking of this design. I'm deliberately avoiding the Japanese anime, comic book, "extreme" movie car look. If you look at the concept cars from EVERY other company they're ALL doing that kind of look in their concept vehicles. The problem with that is, if EVERYBODY is trying to look extreme, nothing winds up looking extreme... too much "me too" going on so it quickly loses its impact and looks common, gets boring and is stamped all over with the word "trendy".

My intention is to consciously, deliberately avoid all that and design a car that #1, looks like an American design; not something from a foreign design studio, and #2, I want it to look like a Camaro... period. I want it to instantly have that identity recognition that when you see it on the road there's absolutely no mistake what you're looking at.

In order to do that there has to be some design/style elements carried over from the heritage styling. This means no exotic batman movie car gimmicks with ridiculously over-designed bulges, cutouts, fake scoops, etc. that have absolutely no real function.

The Camaro was always a clean design. Yes it had some "fake" elements like the gills on the side that weren't real and on the 5th gen, the mail slot in the front, but overall it was a clean design. My goal is to take that further and eliminate any fake vents, scoops, etc. so that if it's there, it's real and has a real function; so the side scoops are real and the hood vents are real and work. I'm deliberately going for that "clean" look which I feel is part of the Camaro heritage/identity. That's why I'm trying to keep the shapes and styling simple, pure and elegant. I want this design to still be beautiful 40 years from now; just like the heritage Camaros are today.

That's the reasoning behind this design and why I'm doing it. I criticized the Camaro design team for what they did on the refresh (which I still don't like) but I also wanted to put something on the table as a contribution to what I see as more or less a team effort. As far as I know the Camaro is about the only car/project that has such a great team that cares about it's customer base to the extent that they actually seek input/feedback and incorporate it into the Camaro; making it essentially a team effort between them and all of us. I think that's great and I don't want to just criticize without offering something positive and constructive to do my "part" of being on the team. Maybe that's being presumptuous on my part but that's my take on all of it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #235
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Here are 4 style variations for back ends.

Back A is basically the same as a previous design early in this thread. Back B has a style that echoes the front grill styling, and moves the backup lights down to the black bar that crosses the license plate area. Both A and B have smaller winglets and a wider trunk lid between them. A and B have the round tail lights inspired by the 1970 Camaro.

Back C changes the styling to thin and wide, and uses tail lights that are heritage inspired from the 67-69 years. The black bar with the reverse lights is separated by the license plate area. Back D is similar to C but removes the vertical center line in the tail lights to be slightly more modern yet still has heritage inspiration. The black bar goes right to the edge of the license plate area. Both C and D have wider winglets than A and B, and the trunk lid width is reduced accordingly.
Attachment 550512
B baby uncle Bobby B. B is my favorite except with bigger winglets, it mimics the front somewhat and the reverse light indent will mimic the ss side.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #236
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
B baby uncle Bobby B. B is my favorite except with bigger winglets, it mimics the front somewhat and the reverse light indent will mimic the ss side.
A fan letter poured in! Okay, here ya go... B with bigger winglets, correct rear window size and other upgrades and corrections.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept Back B1.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  68.8 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #237
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
If I had to pick a rear end...it would probably be C. None are really talking to me loudly though.

I just can't take the small round tail lights. Don't hate me lol. Maybe if they were bigger, and slightly offset.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #238
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If I had to pick a rear end...it would probably be C. None are really talking to me loudly though.

I just can't take the small round tail lights. Don't hate me lol. Maybe if they were bigger, and slightly offset.
Another kinda/sorta fan letter pours in!

Alrighty then, how about a version of C?
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept Back C1.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  66.6 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Closed Thread

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation