Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #239
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I happened to stumble upon this video which made me cringe, but it's right...

I think at least part of the slow Camaro sales is unfortunately the byproduct of Chevy being in the midst of one of their weakest ad campaigns in years. They are shoveling all sorts of money into their painfully bad their "focus group" ads, including that one where they use some sort of car elevator thing to show Camaro for about all of 3 seconds. Just make a f***ing spot where you focus on the car itself. Show somebody tearing ass through the mountains. That stuff sells even if it seems cliche.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #240
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Cutting Fleet Sales

Quote:
Todd Christiansen of Camaro Marketing tells us that Chevy is also keeping the Camaro away from fleet sales.

The effort is part of GM’s well-publicized strategy to cut sales to daily rental car fleets.

The practice reduces overall sales volume but delivers various benefits like higher resale and residual values, lower incentives, and higher Average Transaction Prices (ATPs).

More importantly, it also boosts profit margins.

Traditionally, General Motors hasn’t championed such practices; the strategic change is one of the key differences between the “New GM” and the bankrupt “old GM”.
Challenger and Mustang are dumping loads of low-profit fleet rental cars on the market.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/08/...#ixzz4cbIpVBF4
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:54 AM   #241
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Challenger and Mustang are dumping loads of low-profit fleet rental cars on the market.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/08/...#ixzz4cbIpVBF4
LOL

Quoting a marketing fluffer

Yes because 20% discounts and months and months worth of supply of vehicles nobody wants is working wonders for resale value to current owners.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #242
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I happened to stumble upon this video which made me cringe, but it's right...

I think at least part of the slow Camaro sales is unfortunately the byproduct of Chevy being in the midst of one of their weakest ad campaigns in years. They are shoveling all sorts of money into their painfully bad their "focus group" ads, including that one where they use some sort of car elevator thing to show Camaro for about all of 3 seconds. Just make a f***ing spot where you focus on the car itself. Show somebody tearing ass through the mountains. That stuff sells even if it seems cliche.
A lot of people hate these ads on car forums, but they have been extremely successful as far as sales and profit so far for GM.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #243
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
So it boils down to this:

Do you want GM to sell bookoo sh*tloads of Camaros by homogenizing the design to be more family friendly with back seat and trunk space OR do you want it to be the best looking car on the road?

I choose the latter. I personally don't want to see another Gen 6 at every stoplight. A British car designer once said the camel is a horse that was designed by a committee.

Don't let that happen to the Camaro.
never really understand this logic. How does it make you feel better to drive a mass produced ,relatively inexpensive enthusiasts car with a history dating back to Muscle car era...that few others want to own?

I enjoy seeing other Mustangs at a stoplight or cruise in. I like to see how others have modded their Mustangs and I benefit from the increased aftermarket support.... what do you get from being the only Camaro in town? Do you feel like you outsmarted everyone else?
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #244
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Resale value matters to manufacturers too. It helps keep lease payments low and raises profit margins on leases.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #245
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
When I had my '09 G8 GT, I loved the fact that I didn't see many on the road. Then I switched to Charger R/T, it had all the bells and whistles, but they were everywhere.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #246
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
never really understand this logic. How does it make you feel better to drive a mass produced ,relatively inexpensive enthusiasts car with a history dating back to Muscle car era...that few others want to own?

I enjoy seeing other Mustangs at a stoplight or cruise in. I like to see how others have modded their Mustangs and I benefit from the increased aftermarket support.... what do you get from being the only Camaro in town? Do you feel like you outsmarted everyone else?
Near as I can tell, it's a desire to be "unique", and feel like you've got something special that nobody else has. The Ferrari effect...without the Ferrari cost...

I, like you, enjoy seeing other Camaro drivers on the road. Feels like we're taking over.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #247
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Near as I can tell, it's a desire to be "unique", and feel like you've got something special that nobody else has. The Ferrari effect...without the Ferrari cost...

I, like you, enjoy seeing other Camaro drivers on the road. Feels like we're taking over.
I'm with you Wyndham! I love see other 6th gens around! But the same thing has the exact opposite effect on me with mustangs, I love the way the S550 look (seriously I really do!) but there is just SO DAMN MANY of them I get sick off seeing them every 5 seconds!

Yes I want to have a unique car but I don't understand the logic of all these people that think the Camaro is dying already just because they don't see them as much as mustangs. Yes there is excess inventory but that's what happens when 80% of buyers don't care about the actual Quality/Performance of a sports car and all they care about is price, so they go look at a camaro and get scared due to the price point and don't do any research to see why the price is different. And like I've said before the profit margin on the 6th gens should be much higher than on the 5th gens so Chevy isn't loosing TONS of profits even with putting out the 15-20% sales.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #248
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Mustangs have a weight disadvantage. Automotive journalists say the standard suspension wallows under stress, the track package is too harsh for a DD and its not available with the outdated A6. The infotainment system is a disaster. Overall, the GT are in a performance class below the SS. Perhaps this supports the notion that Mustangs are sold mainly on price.

Guess what, next year might bring a few more hp and a modern automatic, but I doubt the other problems will be fixed.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #249
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
Mustangs have a weight disadvantage. Automotive journalists say the standard suspension wallows under stress, the track package is too harsh for a DD and its not available with the outdated A6. The infotainment system is a disaster. Overall, the GT are in a performance class below the SS. Perhaps this supports the notion that Mustangs are sold mainly on price.

Guess what, next year might bring a few more hp and a modern automatic, but I doubt the other problems will be fixed.
For the most part, Camaro has always been better performing than Mustang, going back to the 60s. Not saying that with bias, it's just that if you look back at all the classic years of Mustang vs Camaro it always seemed the Camaro performed better than the Mustang comparing equivalent trim/packaging/drivetrains.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #250
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
that's what happens when 80% of buyers don't care about the actual Quality/Performance of a sports car and all they care about is price
For 50 years GM has conditioned the general public that the Camaro is a sports car for the working guy. You can get a powerful V8 and great performance on a lower middle class salary. Really up until the 6th gen that was true. People aren't used to a Camaro costing $40k+ no matter how the dice are rolled.

It's probably the worst case of sticker shock ever. In 2002 you could get a loaded Z28 with the SS package for $25k. The base 3800 still started in the high teens. Heck I'm 39 and remember seeing an IROC in a showroom with a ton of options on the sticker and the price was $18k. That wasn't very long ago. People still remember. It's hard to convince them otherwise. I know the car is vastly improved so much so it would take an hour to go through how much better a 6th gen is over a 4th gen. Not even near comparable cars. You know that as well.

But many people still assimilate the Camaro nameplate as the car the working class guy could buy for a fun drive and awesome power. I think GM might need to do a better job at showing people what the 6th gen is about and why it's so superior to any Camaro ever made before.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #251
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post

That 100% supports the fact that the Mustang is not on par with the Camaro in terms of Performance and Technology, like I said most people make their purchase based solely on price.

I believe the changes coming to the Mustang for 2018 will be a big step in the right direction to close the gap with the Camaro, but but that will also mean the price difference is going to shrink so you could see closer sales numbers soon.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #252
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
For 50 years GM has conditioned the general public that the Camaro is a sports car for the working guy. You can get a powerful V8 and great performance on a lower middle class salary. Really up until the 6th gen that was true. People aren't used to a Camaro costing $40k+ no matter how the dice are rolled.

It's probably the worst case of sticker shock ever. In 2002 you could get a loaded Z28 with the SS package for $25k. The base 3800 still started in the high teens. Heck I'm 39 and remember seeing an IROC in a showroom with a ton of options on the sticker and the price was $18k. That wasn't very long ago. People still remember. It's hard to convince them otherwise. I know the car is vastly improved so much so it would take an hour to go through how much better a 6th gen is over a 4th gen. Not even near comparable cars. You know that as well.

But many people still assimilate the Camaro nameplate as the car the working class guy could buy for a fun drive and awesome power. I think GM might need to do a better job at showing people what the 6th gen is about and why it's so superior to any Camaro ever made before.
Yes but you are also forgetting inflation. $25k then is almost $34k now, plus back then the GT was actually more expensive than the Z28. Cheaper V8 cars aren't were the volume is. Packaging in the non-V8 cars is the real story.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote