Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I understand the NEW Camaro shares the NEW frame with ATS, but is it just me thinking, that they simply put the existing body [with some changes] on the top of the new frame?

I buy what GM is telling us about the frame, but I still don't see the body being a new design. It looks generally the same as the current car.

New Engine, New frame, but not so New body. What do you think?
Couldnt tell you I have not seen the 6th gen yet ,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It isn't a "frame".

When the industry refers to an architecture like Alpha it is far more than putting a body on a frame. Trucks are BOF or Body on Frame. Cars today are all uni-body construction.

So an architecture is essentially the floor pan and front of dash as well as the critical attachments to the body such as front and rear chassis members and engine mounts.

Typically there is some flexibility in the architecture that allows for variants, like in the case of Alpha, the ATS, CTS and ATS Coupe.

Hope that helps.
I appreciate you taking the time with your reply, but honestly what I was saying, now that they're changing the architecture, give us a new fresh look rather copying the style of G5. I wasn't necessarily saying an actual and physical copy but rather an style copy. I've seen this style for 5 years everyday on the street, so if I'm going to spend $40K+, I want something to stand out as a new design. All the spy shots look very similar to the G5 body style. By the same token, I'm not impressed with the new Mustang.
Hope this clarifies my point.
Thanks Anyway.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #31
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I don't know why this is a bold statement. The SS will probably come with the LT1, rated around 450-470hp, and come with the 7 speed manual or 8 speed auto. If it drops even 200lbs (which is then 500lbs lighter than the current ZL1, plus power to weight is BS if you don't account for anything else) and has a killer suspension or Magnetic Ride, I don't know why it wouldn't do as well as a ZL1 on a road course. Honestly, by this statement, all I'm hearing is that the 2016 Camaro SS is going to crush the new Mustang around a track.

And seriously, when was the last time that GM actually boasted about 1/4 mile times with the Camaro instead of road course times?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #32
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I don't know why this is a bold statement. The SS will probably come with the LT1, rated around 450-470hp, and come with the 7 speed manual or 8 speed auto. If it drops even 200lbs (which is then 500lbs lighter than the current ZL1, plus power to weight is BS if you don't account for anything else) and has a killer suspension or Magnetic Ride, I don't know why it wouldn't do as well as a ZL1 on a road course.
I guess it's a bold statement because the current SS is a $34K car. We don't yet know how the new car will be priced, but if pricing is comparable to the current car, we're talking about a heck of a lot of bang for the buck.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #33
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I guess it's a bold statement because the current SS is a $34K car. We don't yet know how the new car will be priced, but if pricing is comparable to the current car, we're talking about a heck of a lot of bang for the buck.
Well...options and packages will drive up $$$. I highly doubt a base SS is what he was referring to with ZL1 experience. I think for that comparison we should expect mid to high 40's.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #34
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time with your reply, but honestly what I was saying, now that they're changing the architecture, give us a new fresh look rather copying the style of G5. I wasn't necessarily saying an actual and physical copy but rather an style copy. I've seen this style for 5 years everyday on the street, so if I'm going to spend $40K+, I want something to stand out as a new design. All the spy shots look very similar to the G5 body style. By the same token, I'm not impressed with the new Mustang.
Hope this clarifies my point.
Thanks Anyway.
the term "evolution" has been GM's stated design purpose for a very long time. Your idea of a fresh look is yours, but i think fresh is what they are shooting for. So many people love current look, why stray too far. GM is in business to make money...i don't blame them for not taking a risk with a drastic change in looks. I expect they will do quite well in the performance aspects.
I think they did a great job on the vette though. Style is great and when u see one, you know what it is.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #35
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I think they did a great job on the vette though. Style is great and when u see one, you know what it is.
*IF* they would do the same facelift to Gen6 as what they did to C7, then I have no complain, but I doubt we're gonna see that kind of "evolution" as we saw C6 to C7. Just my two cents, as someone who has owned Z06.

Now, something like this, I call fresh design.

Last edited by Z_Rocks; 12-07-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #36
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
That's an Acura
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #37
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
*IF* they would do the same facelift to Gen6 as what they did to C7, then I have no complain, but I doubt we're gonna see that kind of "evolution" as we saw C6 to C7. Just my two cents, as someone who has owned Z06.

I wouldn't call sharp Camaro edged styling with the old corporate grill "fresh". Rendering is like 6 years old.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #38
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:

YES PLEASE!!!
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Please read between the lines carefully:

" you think about Z/28 and ZL1, SS -- think about the satisfaction that a ZL1 offers you today off of current Zeta. Think about that satisfaction moved down from an accessibility and model-range standpoint. Think about that. If you like the ZL1 today, you're going to love the SS tomorrow."

What Mark is trying to tell us, without actually telling us, is that Magnetic Ride Control will be available on the SS as an option. Just like how MRC is now available as an option in several of the new Cadillacs without having to by the "V" models. He is not implying anything about performance of the new SS vs. the current ZL1. He is only implying that there will be improved accessibility in range model. Accessability to what? In my opinion, it is the MRC that will be accessible in the SS.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #40
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
YES PLEASE!!!
It's supposed to be a Chevvelle.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #41
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Please read between the lines carefully:

" you think about Z/28 and ZL1, SS -- think about the satisfaction that a ZL1 offers you today off of current Zeta. Think about that satisfaction moved down from an accessibility and model-range standpoint. Think about that. If you like the ZL1 today, you're going to love the SS tomorrow."

What Mark is trying to tell us, without actually telling us, is that Magnetic Ride Control will be available on the SS as an option. Just like how MRC is now available as an option in several of the new Cadillacs without having to by the "V" models. He is not implying anything about performance of the new SS vs. the current ZL1. He is only implying that there will be improved accessibility in range model. Accessability to what? In my opinion, it is the MRC that will be accessible in the SS.
That would be awesome if true and not really too far fetched for them to go through with it.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #42
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
It's supposed to be a Chevvelle.

I dont care if its the new Prius. I would jump on it. lol
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote