Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
fradaj

Drives: RS
Is there any possibility that there may not be a V8 Camaro? That ATS-V engine sounds pretty mean, especially in a "lighter" Camaro.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Is there any possibility that there may not be a V8 Camaro? That ATS-V engine sounds pretty mean, especially in a "lighter" Camaro.
Slim..

Very slim!

I think GM is "forced" to use at least one V8.. Camaro is USA. V8's are USA. Anything less than 8 cylinders will have people chasing GM's executives down with pitchforks.
Their competitors use V8's.

It is more likely GM would test the fields by releasing a TTV6 edition camaro. And then slowly prepare is buyers for the future when emmisions will have killed anything but turbo 4 bangers in sub 3300lbs camaro's.. Or hybrids for that matter.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
No.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
No there will always be a V8 , But that doesnt necessarily mean we wont see the twin turbo in the Camaro
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #19
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
No there will always be a V8 , But that doesnt necessarily mean we wont see the twin turbo in the Camaro
Not necessarily.

GM could very well be forced to make a hybrid, EV version, og turboed 4/6 banger.. It all depends on emissions and how the pushrod V8 will do in the future.

GM might have to shut the camaro down if they cant use a v8 in it. And then wait and see if their custumors start demanding a return while being satisfied the camaro will have to do what everybody else is doing. Downsizing. More efficient drivetrains. Electric motors.

I for one am hoping the camless engines Konigsegg are experimenting with will get a breakthrough.
An engine with no cam/cams is the best possible outcome for the combustion engine. Electric valves can open and close faster and are theoretically superior to cammed engines in every possible ways.
Imagine the tuning abilities of such engine

Go google it. It is very exciting.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #20
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
5.9 Cummins -> 6.7
6.0 Pstroke -> 6.7
4.6GT -> 5.0
5.4GT500 -> 5.8
6.0LS2 ->6.2LS3
hemi ->Hemi ->HEMI
GM has retained 6.2L engine since 07.

This is just off of the top of my head over the past 5-10yrs. I do not see any downsizing in the American performance market(I included diesel bc that is just a large of a performance market as this is, both for work and recreation). Sure, there will be ALTERNATIVES offered(V6,I4, etc...) but the V8, in the AMERICAN performance culture will go nowhere for a long time. I would not worry about loosing a V8 anytime soon. However, I would worry about over regulation and 'daddy modes', which may neuter our beloved powerhouses. Plus this Onstar mess. Big Brother is watching!

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
I agree. But with the ever increasing push for fuel economy and emission standards, I wonder if the TTV6 becomes the Mass produced SS, and then the ZL1/Z28 gets the LT4 or similar.

I just throw this out there because GM sells a lot more Camaro's than it does Corvettes. This being the case, and needing to conform to CAFE standards, they may start saving the V8's for the smaller production cars. Although, I personally don't know what if any difference there might be in the mpg/emission ratings between the LT1 and the TTV6.

But really, I guess it's all going to come down to production cost and marketing research. A lot of the Cadillac buyers (aka BMW cross shoppers) will be just fine with a TTV6 whereas many Camaro fans (like me) are just old school hot rodders that just like the old pushrod V8.

But yeah, for the money, the ATS TTV6 is one heck of a car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If mileage is a concern, the Camaro wouldn't get the TTV6. It doesn't get any better mileage than the V8s do.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If mileage is a concern, the Camaro wouldn't get the TTV6. It doesn't get any better mileage than the V8s do.
Yeah, you're probably right. Especially with AFM in the LT1.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
Exatcly.. Being a manual transmission makes it even more impressive. Check the video once again and notice how long he takes to shift the car. With an 8speed auto the ATS-V will be mindblowingly fast!
That seemed about like a normal time for a 1-2 shift to me, I can't shift my TR-6060 much faster than that.

True statement on the 8 speed though, it should make it pickup a couple tenths maybe.

Autos are so much better these days than they used to me, almost every car now the autos get better MPGs and also better 0-60 times.

It's just not the same though rowing through some gears, lol. The auto is really only more beneficial in the straight line stuff, they will be pretty much even I think on a road course. Autocross might depend on the course setup and gearing.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I did some digging and the original TT 3.6 V6 used in the cadillac lineup in 2014 weight 485 lbs, the LT1 weights 465 lbs, so it's lighter, but 20 lbs doesn't equate to much. I'm not sure that takes into account any extra tubing or intercoolers.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #26
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
That seemed about like a normal time for a 1-2 shift to me, I can't shift my TR-6060 much faster than that.

True statement on the 8 speed though, it should make it pickup a couple tenths maybe.

Autos are so much better these days than they used to me, almost every car now the autos get better MPGs and also better 0-60 times.

It's just not the same though rowing through some gears, lol. The auto is really only more beneficial in the straight line stuff, they will be pretty much even I think on a road course. Autocross might depend on the course setup and gearing.
From 2nd to 3 gear - i could have texted my mom saying i'll come visit her for christmas. And she could have texted me back: not unless you drive a V8.

Just kidding. Somehow, it seemed to go slower the previous times i watched it
Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #27
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I did some digging and the original TT 3.6 V6 used in the cadillac lineup in 2014 weight 485 lbs, the LT1 weights 465 lbs, so it's lighter, but 20 lbs doesn't equate to much. I'm not sure that takes into account any extra tubing or intercoolers.

That is interesting info, I will take the lighter V8 over a TT V6.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #28
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
super fast!