Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-29-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
3.6 timing chain longevity?

I know, I should consider the source, but on my FB posting of my Christmas present, one guy congratulated me on the Camaro, but then "advised" me that the timing chains in the 3.6 should be replaced at ~50k. I'm thinking "WTF," even timing belts don't need changed for 100k and all of the timing chains I see in cars NEVER require maintenance.

I get that there can be a faulty part now and then, but really, a 50k timing chain? Tell me that this is BS (I think I'm already sure it is) and the "advice" can be scrapped like my old car.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Timing chains don't need to be replaced unless they break, timing belts are the ones you have to service

I've never heard of anyone having problems out of the timing chains on these cars though. My mom has owned two V6 5th gens and never had a problem out of either cars.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Timing chain life is good in the 5th gen Camaro. If there is ever an issue, a DTC will trip and you would get a "check engine" light well in advance of any trouble. Chains never have to be replaced as maintenance. Keep your oil changed and you have no worries.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Possibly cautioned by someone who owned/s an S10 or Sonoma, timing chains on these little trucks is like ........ REALLY!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have over the years read posts about the timing chains on the v-6 you may want to do a search of forum posts, and I imagine you may want think about upgrading the chains once you do it. Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
i recall hearing the LLT (2010-2011) having issues with the timing chains, but have not heard about any issues with the LFX (2012-2015).

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

Thanks all, I feel much better, although if I *do* have to replace the chain, (hopefully it will be under warranty) I'll see if I can get a Katech chain installed.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Usually it's tensioners and guides that fail causing some other failure. Chains are very solid.
Had a buick with the 3.8l V6 that went for 250K miles and was still running great when I gave it to my son. Never give a car to a teenager.
He drove it until the brakes failed and chewed into the rotors and he literally parked it in a lot and walked away from it. I had recently put $1200 into it. He never mentioned that he abandoned it so I didn't even have a chance to recover it.

What's wrong with teenagers? Other than their brains are not fully developed yet.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Usually it's tensioners and guides that fail causing some other failure. Chains are very solid.
Had a buick with the 3.8l V6 that went for 250K miles and was still running great when I gave it to my son. Never give a car to a teenager.
He drove it until the brakes failed and chewed into the rotors and he literally parked it in a lot and walked away from it. I had recently put $1200 into it. He never mentioned that he abandoned it so I didn't even have a chance to recover it.

What's wrong with teenagers? Other than their brains are not fully developed yet.
Teens lately have a disturbing lack of responsibility.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
The chains themselves stretch, eventually the cams are not in the position the ECU is commanding and will throw the P0008 code. There is a patch but it just raises the limits before that code is thrown and lowers the OLM to 5k miles. I'm at 53k miles with extreme power on my LLT with original chains. Eventually they will stretch enough and will be replaced.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
The chains themselves stretch, eventually the cams are not in the position the ECU is commanding and will throw the P0008 code. There is a patch but it just raises the limits before that code is thrown and lowers the OLM to 5k miles. I'm at 53k miles with extreme power on my LLT with original chains. Eventually they will stretch enough and will be replaced.
That's about what I had thought initially, but forgive my ignorance, what is an OLM?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
That's about what I had thought initially, but forgive my ignorance, what is an OLM?
Oil Life Monitor, it guesses how much life is left in the oil using algorithms based on cold starts, mileage, and black magic.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
The llt motor had timing chain issues. Ie 2010 and 2011 camaro with v6 motor. They fixed the issue with the updated lfx motor mid way through production of the 2011 year.

The problem was the chain itself on the llt motor could stretch. There are a few people here who can tell you about when it happened to them. Gm claimed it was due to driving hard for short distances and not having the motor reach full operating temperature before driving it hard. Anyway i dont know the full reasoning behind it. But yes some have stretched, and they usually fail within the first 30k if not usually there are no problems. And you definetly do not need to replace it before any engine light comes on. The computer picks up the thrown timing before anything will happen. And if something were to happen gm would likely cover any repairs since there are documented cases of people with the problem.

As for reliability of the car. I had a 2010 1lt for 2 years with 120 000km and the only service it saw at the dealer was for an evap can replacement and 1 cat (under warranty). Gm was great about those 2 repairs too. Manufacturing defect for the cat.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
That V6 is one of the finest engines GM has ever made.. quite a piece of engineering..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote