Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2015, 02:29 AM   #15
doucethermo

Drives: bmw
I had a sports car in college and the only issue I had was scraping up the money for the expensive tires
doucethermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #16
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock block View Post
2010 SS can be found cheap with low miles , you only live once and tommorow is not a guarantee
That's a foolish attitude. OP, since apparently you will have zero college expenses to pay yourself, why not save as much money as you can while attending school and reward yourself upon graduation with a brand new... something. Your tastes will likely change over the next four or five years, and so will cars. Meanwhile, buy something inexpensive and reliable to get you back and forth to classes. Good luck and keep you head screwed on right.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
If you're dead set on getting a Camaro and you are planning on putting lots of miles on it, I would recommend that you buy as new as you can and as low mileage as you can. I know you want the extra goodies, but those can wait till your second Camaro. Right now, you should consider reliability, warranty and most likely you won't have to buy tires on a newer car. Money will be tight and you shouldn't have to worry about breakdowns and possibly buying new tires right away.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I'd keep the truck, personally. College girls love trucks. If the gas mileage really matters that much, I'd be looking at a reliable economy car.

With the price of gas, 100 mile trip is nothing even if your truck gets 10 mpg.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
The Hunter

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That's a foolish attitude. OP, since apparently you will have zero college expenses to pay yourself, why not save as much money as you can while attending school and reward yourself upon graduation with a brand new... something. Your tastes will likely change over the next four or five years, and so will cars. Meanwhile, buy something inexpensive and reliable to get you back and forth to classes. Good luck and keep you head screwed on right.
OP, I agree with this. I got a 2010 V6 when I graduated highschool and was fortunate enough to have my college paid for by my parents. I would save up and get a badass 1LE/ZL1 once you graduate like I did. The V6 is a great car and I put 75k miles on it by the time I graduated. If you have your heart stuck on it then go for it because I don't think anyone is going to change your mind if you want it bad. The only thing that I know is for sure your going to upgrade once you graduate so just save the money. Good luck on the engineering classes they, one of my good friends who graduated with me is going to specialty school for nuclear engineering to work on US Navy Submarines.
The Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I would get the base with lower miles/cheaper. Boston acoustic speakers are trash, bluetooth isnt a big deal if USB ports are available for music.. leather looks great but you can always get katzkin covers in your choice of colors..HUD is probably the best thing you mentioned.

I commute/DD my Camaro and its great, the V6 is still fun and saves me gas for every day driving.. I seriously pump almost once a week and I drive 30-40 mins(one way) to work every day.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
Balasarius

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I originally looked at 1LS but was quickly swayed to the 1LT (with the RS package) due to the added goodies. The leather steering wheel and shifter, the MyLink, fog lights and upgraded wheels / tires.

(I later traded it for a ZL1.)
Balasarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #22
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Ah, the sage advise for a young lad embarking on life's journey. College is grand and gets your foot in the door of a lot of employers. I can tell you this; many segments of the employment market are absolutely clambering for GOOD, industrious, hard working people to fill positions. Most are willing to pay you what the job offers while training. And then a raise.

Personally, I always espoused Mark Twain's notion that, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." If I had it all to do over again, I'd find a good vocation/profession, learn it, excel in it, start my own business and make more money than working for someone else. Then you can buy all the Camaros you want. And maybe even something a little more exotic. Like a Z/28!!! Good luck, son, the world is your oyster!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBoyEI View Post
Thanks. I really have my heart set on the camaro. Honestly if I don't get a camaro I'd just get a little beater car to drive. I know people will say about a teenager and not being responsible etc. here's a picture of my truck...
I've owned it for almost two years now and you can see I keep it in pristine condition. I also work my butt off in school. I'm currently taking ap calculus and ap chemistry with the hopes of being a nuclear engineer... I think you can tell I'm not a normal teenager. Plus my parents have a 2008 g8 gt that I get to drive to school, so I know the power from the v6 isn't going to get to me.
OP, how much is that F150 worth now? Of course the dealer is always going to low-ball you on a trade in but I would think that those trucks hold more of their value relative to other vehicles.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #24
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
OP, everyone here is only talking about money/miles regarding the car. Your time is worth something too. Is there a reason you aren't living on campus or at least near it? Half the college experience is just being there.

I moved off campus, just 10 miles away, my sophomore year and I missed out on a ton of stuff. I moved must closer the next summer and was a lot happier.

Regarding the car, I would get the lowest mileage Camaro you can. The more warranty you have the better. Also get a stick.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #25
stock block

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
How is it foolish to buy a much much better car for the same cost as a few year newer v6 ,( the 2010 ss manual ) is one of the most reliable cars on the road today , can't say that for the v6 models. He's says he's got the money already for the car and school is payed for. personally I think it's foolish to buy the v6 that won't retain the valve of the SS , but each to his own .
stock block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #26
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
What is wrong with the truck (why are you getting rid of it)? You said you've kept it in pristine condition.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #27
norf

Drives: 2023 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock block View Post
How is it foolish to buy a much much better car for the same cost as a few year newer v6 ,( the 2010 ss manual ) is one of the most reliable cars on the road today , can't say that for the v6 models. He's says he's got the money already for the car and school is payed for. personally I think it's foolish to buy the v6 that won't retain the valve of the SS , but each to his own .
Your confusing your opinion with facts
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #28
stock block

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by norf View Post
Your confusing your opinion with facts
My opinion on this may be bias because I was in this same boat , wondering if I should buy the ss model or wait and get the 4 banger turbo 2016 next year. In the end for me the very low mileage ss (12,000 km) for $26k can = $20K usa , it was the right move for me.

But I'm a most bang for your buck kinda guy and could not justify missing out on 180hp for the exchange of a tv screen in the dash
stock block is offline   Reply With Quote