Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yes, that would suck. Makes you wonder about all the makes. Cars systems should no way shape or form be linked to the Internet.

I agree. We've been driving cars for over 100 years without being connected to a network. Now, all of a sudden, every new car has to be on the net? I still cannot understand why the entertainment center cannot just be a small laptop that slides into and out of the dash. It would play music, movies, etc, but your car's ecu would never communicate with it.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #16
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Serious? This is what you have to worry about? So take the USB out when you need navigation. Better yet, put your usb in and use your freaking phone to navigate where you're going. Stop the childish behavior.

You're going to sell the car because of this? So go ahead and sell it. No one would ever notice the problem you found anyway.

While I wouldn't sell the car because of it, it is an issue that should be fixed.

It's not isolated to just his car. As I already noted, I've had it occur as well. And if you remove the USB, then the music you are listening too would obviously stop, so that is not a "fix". And why use the phone to navigate when he (we) paid extra for navigation. Your solutions don't solve the problem.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #17
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I agree. We've been driving cars for over 100 years without being connected to a network. Now, all of a sudden, every new car has to be on the net? I still cannot understand why the entertainment center cannot just be a small laptop that slides into and out of the dash. It would play music, movies, etc, but your car's ecu would never communicate with it.

I don't understand it either. As most people have smart phones, there is no real need to have the car connected. And I'm sure the data rate for the car is not cheaper than your phone plan.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalagyrt View Post
Read-only access implemented by a memory bank that's write-only on the ECU side and read-only on the entertainment side would be ideal to allow the entertainment system to display info about the state of the car, but you'd sacrifice some functionality such as remote start for sure if the systems were designed this way.
If it was read only then OnStar wouldn't be able to remotely disable cars like they've been doing for a few years now. I don't care about that feature and I know most others don't either but GM gets to play the 'piece of mind' card when they're marketing it.