Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
steveww
RUSH TWO

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I see Landscape trucks, Construction Trucks everyday driving down the highway with huge rocks and other debris. Crap bouncing off onto cars. I had my windshield busted out buy a landscape truck, their equipment was covered with rocks mud you name it.

While I was having my window replaced, at Safelight, at least 10 of their vans pulled in with a full days worth of busted up windows. they installer said that was a typical day.

Kind of make you wonder why they don't get the same attention from cops that a guy going a few miles over the limit. I guess there is just not enough road tax to be made!

Do they cops really care about safety or just the all mighty dollar.

Window tint, Clear bra, 1 7/8 Headers with Hi-flow cats, ADM Performance-CAI, Slotted/Drilled Rotors with Ceramic carbon fiber pads. Painted Calipers, Drag wheels, Outlaw Catback Quad tips, CFD Shifter with Leather boot upgrade, LSA Supercharger, AEM AFR Gauge
steveww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Well, that's the other thing, I couldn't turn around to get his plate or company name.
Had the same thing happen to my G8, except it was a huge block of ice/compacted snow that broke free from an oncoming semi and slammed into the front fascia left a huge gash. I replaced it with the GXP bumper but it cost me a lot.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Carbon fiber roof time.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #18
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
might as well get the carbon fiber roof panel
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
dang dude that sucks, I know your pain :P the loop 101 in arizona was undergoing construction and we had nothing but rocks flying everywhere! I used Dr. Colorchip and it worked like a dream.

On another note, why was a dumptruck going faster than you?
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #20
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Not covered under comprehensive coverage?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #21
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I cannot stand dump trucks. Had a few run ins with them and thankfully I was not in my camaro. Still pissed the truck dumped gravel, which sprayed my Acura but I didn't think they would pay to repair it.

I tend to stay away from interstates for that reason.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I back so far off open trucks (dump trucks) when I see them on the highway so want anything hitting the car, tractor trailers are another story as so many travel the freeways, really nothing you can do but hold your breath.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #23

Drives: 15 2SS RS 1LE, 18 Sonic LT, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww View Post

Do they cops really care about safety or just the all mighty dollar.
Neither - it's a power trip to control people. It always has been and always will be.
1110110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1110110 View Post
Neither - it's a power trip to control people. It always has been and always will be.
I don't buy into that, I've had my fair share of run-ins with the cops and if you want to "not be controlled by them", it's pretty simple, don't break the law. The laws are there for a reason, to protect the general public, which includes you. Things would not be so nice around here with no law enforcement and people in jail all on the streets.

As for why they don't ticket vehicles for debris falling out, that could be challenging, it's more of a wrong place wrong time. I would guess if a truck had things just consistently falling out, the cop would pull them over.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #25

Drives: 15 2SS RS 1LE, 18 Sonic LT, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't buy into that, I've had my fair share of run-ins with the cops and if you want to "not be controlled by them", it's pretty simple, don't break the law. The laws are there for a reason, to protect the general public, which includes you. Things would not be so nice around here with no law enforcement and people in jail all on the streets.
I'm not talking about people going 100mph.

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/24000/24800/24849/AZ551.pdf

Page 39:

Quote:
3.4.4 Establishing Speed Limits
Establishing appropriate speed limits is typically the responsibility of “state and
local legislatures and traffic engineers, often with input from law enforcement officials
and community groups.” [10] The goal is to establish realistic speed limits appropriate
for different road classes that promote the safe and efficient movement of people and
goods.
However, according to the Society of Automotive Engineers, drivers travel at a
speed that they find appropriate to the road, regardless of the posted speed limit. Some
states use the “85th-percentile” average speed in setting their speed limits. Yet, according
to a Federal Highway Administration report “…the majority of speed limits are posted
below the average speed of traffic.” When drivers encounter speeds they find
unreasonably low, some will travel at the lower speed. But, if most stay at higher speeds,
faster moving cars are constantly overtaking and passing the slower-moving ones. This
increases danger to both vehicles, since danger increases as the speed difference between
vehicles increases. [21]
The simple fact is, some roads are zoned too slow. I'd rather they fight crime than fight the 85th percentile. (For the record, I've never been ticketed for speeding.)
1110110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #26
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
I've been driving my semi all week to avoid driving the car. Lol. I have to wait another week at least to get in for repairs.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #27
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1110110 View Post
Is this based on your experience as a police officer? What dept.? How many years? Current assignment? You really don't have a clue. Cops don't even think about money. It has nothing to do with them. They don't set the fine schedule. Most cops consider a good day when not writing any cites and taking a felon to jail instead. Walk a mile in my boots, brother.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #28
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Those signs are misleading, they are responsible they just don't want to be.
Right, putting a sign on the truck doesn't absolve the company of negligence. Of course, the only way to force the company's hand is to sue for the damage.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote