Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-12-2023, 07:48 AM   #1
motorhead-mwc-
Cars and Crosbie

Drives: 16 1SS / 24 ZL1 CE
Proud owner of #53 CE ZL1 aka Panther need some advice

Hello every1,
Excited to share my journey with #53 Panther and get some feedback from you all. Little intro, I am a GM fanatic that decided to get a job at a GM dealer 12 years ago. Started as a mechanic and worked my way into sales to feed my addiction.
I focus on documenting everything about the car purchase process and how to personalize your car to be an extension of who you are. I drive my cars and plan on getting fully immersed in the Camaro culture.

Panther is currently getting wrapped in xpel ppf and thanks to the people who commented on my youtube video I did put gloss accents to create a healthy amount of contrast. Below is a photo of the ppf on the fender showing you the difference between the matte paint and the ppf. Its important to note that the ppf is still wet and has not set. Apparently it will get darker which should make it a perfect match. This will be good for folks who only wrap the front end if it is true. Will see the final product on monday

Before I took it to get protected I was able to go through a tank of 93 listening to the Black Keys and barely made it back home with only 190 mi on the odometer lol

Initially I was eager to look at Michelin pilot sport 4s like its fancy pants sister has but right away realized its a 19 in the front on it and we have a 20 (and dont make a 20 in the front). After driving it in the back roads in break in conditions I was impressed with how much grip the supercars had over the AS3. I found that with my 16 SS the AS3 would chirp under any amount of torque and the compound was far too hard for my liking. Having a highwing also helps.
QUESTION #1: have you guys swapped your GY for conti or mich or kept oem after you burned through your orig set?

Question #2: IS michimoto still the go to for a maro catch can?

I have more questions but I don't want to make this too long winded. If you want to see my first episode on Panther here is the link

https://youtu.be/HIxIOpr3rXo?si=DCex93QPkfT5fhQ_
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2023, 08:24 AM   #2
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Congrats! Very special car u have.

Swapping tires out is a personal preference, however I would not touch the engine or mod it, even with something as simple as a catch can. Just keep the damn thing stock, you'll be fine and most importantly you'll retain the value.

Just my 0.02
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
#1 - Do you plan on driving the car in rain or any rain? Then swap out the stock Goodyears for something like the MPS4S or P Zero, etc. They are much better suited to drive in the rain and give good grip in all cases over the stock Goodyear. When the Goodyear SC3/SC3r are properly warmed up, they out grip ANY street tire in cornering grip. They are a road course focused tire and have the tread life to match.

#2 - Elite and Mightmouse are the most common ones people go with.

I would also invest in a expansion tank. Since GM didn't include one with the ZL1 and you can get air in the line that'll cause a reduction in power. There are many out there but the most simple one, I believe, is the ADM tank from LSA conversion which I have on my ZL1 for years and has been used on a road course for years with no issues.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #4
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
I'm super curious how the PPF is going to turn out. Did you decide to use the stealth on the glossy parts?
I can't comment on tires as every vehicle I have owned in the last 30 years has been 4x4 with M/T tires. It's nice being out of that environment now.
I'll definitely keep my car stock. No headers, no tunes. Something that is easily reversible with no holes drilled or modifications to the car might be OK.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
motorhead-mwc-
Cars and Crosbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifecta View Post
Congrats! Very special car u have.

Swapping tires out is a personal preference, however I would not touch the engine or mod it, even with something as simple as a catch can. Just keep the damn thing stock, you'll be fine and most importantly you'll retain the value.

Just my 0.02
Yeah no open heart surgery for Panther, I agree
Old 10-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
motorhead-mwc-
Cars and Crosbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
#1 - Do you plan on driving the car in rain or any rain? Then swap out the stock Goodyears for something like the MPS4S or P Zero, etc. They are much better suited to drive in the rain and give good grip in all cases over the stock Goodyear. When the Goodyear SC3/SC3r are properly warmed up, they out grip ANY street tire in cornering grip. They are a road course focused tire and have the tread life to match.

#2 - Elite and Mightmouse are the most common ones people go with.

I would also invest in a expansion tank. Since GM didn't include one with the ZL1 and you can get air in the line that'll cause a reduction in power. There are many out there but the most simple one, I believe, is the ADM tank from LSA conversion which I have on my ZL1 for years and has been used on a road course for years with no issues.
This was what my gut thought was the characteristics of the Supersport and yeah a more well rounded tire is what I am looking for over lateral grip. Having said that, this will be more of a weekend warrior and I will daily drive my C7 more then this. My main concen is the Lifecyle of this Goodyear.

Amazing intel. Much appreciated
Old 10-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
motorhead-mwc-
Cars and Crosbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
I'm super curious how the PPF is going to turn out. Did you decide to use the stealth on the glossy parts?
I can't comment on tires as every vehicle I have owned in the last 30 years has been 4x4 with M/T tires. It's nice being out of that environment now.
I'll definitely keep my car stock. No headers, no tunes. Something that is easily reversible with no holes drilled or modifications to the car might be OK.
Will be sure to keep you informed. I had an overwhelming response to keep the gloss components gloss with the PPF so I abided to do this, thanks for commenting.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:17 PM   #8
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead-mwc- View Post
This was what my gut thought was the characteristics of the Supersport and yeah a more well rounded tire is what I am looking for over lateral grip. Having said that, this will be more of a weekend warrior and I will daily drive my C7 more then this. My main concen is the Lifecyle of this Goodyear.

Amazing intel. Much appreciated
Well do you need lateral grip in this car. You don't need to go out and get some cheap tires for sure. MPS4S are the tires everyone goes for but I'm on my 2nd set of P Zero tires and they have done well. Either one is great and will last you 30k or more miles easily.

The life cycle of the SC3 is maybe 8k miles but I've heard some people say they've gotten up to 10k. The SC3r is 50% less than that.

There's plenty of info on this site so just do some searching because it's been asked more than once on here.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:12 PM   #9
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Serious question...do you have a picture of the watch?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:32 PM   #10
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
He hasn’t received his watch or is carbon fiber gas cap yet I’m guessing the watch and other paraphernalia will come in the mail
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #11
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
The watches will come later, likely mailed to each customer that purchases the cars.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #12
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
No, that can is near worthless.

You want the Elite Engineering "Ultra" GM - it is the largest and most efficient can on the market and I've essentially tried them all

https://eliteengineeringusa.com/e2-x-catch-cans/

How much was the Panther?
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:56 PM   #13
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
https://youtu.be/HIxIOpr3rXo?si=DCex93QPkfT5fhQ_
I went with the Elite Engineering e2-x Ultra catch can as another mentioned.

willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:15 PM   #14
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Opinions on the Tracy Lewis occ.