Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
SuperSteveSS

Drives: 2017 ss
Power steering warranty claim denied because of springs?

Just got a call from my buddy at the dealership telling me that my warranty claim for the "service power steering" won't be approved because my car is lowered.... any suggestions?

Dropped the car off for the power steering, windshield fogging up, paint issues and a clicking sound in the rear.
SuperSteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
was yours the GM lowering kit?
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
SuperSteveSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
was yours the GM lowering kit?
AFE springs
Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Wow, that's a stretch. I would make sure that they send you something explaining exactly how the lowering springs affected the power steering. Without a direct cause from the springs, they're treading on dangerous ground. Even if they aren't the GM springs, clearly the car can be lowered since they (GM) offer their own product to lower it. I'd be pissed.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
SuperSteveSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Wow, that's a stretch. I would make sure that they send you something explaining exactly how the lowering springs affected the power steering. Without a direct cause from the springs, they're treading on dangerous ground. Even if they aren't the GM springs, clearly the car can be lowered since they (GM) offer their own product to lower it. I'd be pissed.
Yea I agree. It's totally bogus. Plenty of guys lower theirs without issues and this is already a known problem. Even MRC cars get lowered without problems. Like you said, GM offers a lowering system. People that run coilovers don't even have a problem, right?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
If push came to shove in court, they could likey explain lowering the car changes the cars steering rack geometry. Bang bang. They win. Still BS though.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
If push came to shove in court, they could likey explain lowering the car changes the cars steering rack geometry. Bang bang. They win. Still BS though.
Pretty much that right there...
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
+1 Bullshit, but they'll have a damn physicist in court that makes it sound legit if it ever made it to court.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Quote:
While I don't disagree with either of you, I think that argument could be flipped on GM by a good lawyer (if the aFe springs lower the car the same as the GM springs).

PA: Does GM offer lowering springs?
D: Yes
PA: Do those alter the steering rack geometry like any other lowering spring?
PA: So did GM release a product knowing that it could negatively affect a very important part of the car that, if damaged, can cause serious injury or death to the driver, passengers, and other motorists?
D: Ummm....
PA: Folks, GM has just admitted that they released a product that they know can harm everyone on the road. It could even be one of you!
DA: Objection, speculation and relevance
J: Sustained

Too late, it's on the record and in the jury's mind.

It's called the Reptile Theory defense and usually it's used by defense attorney's but I can see a plaintiff attorney using it in this case. Big corp vs. little guy.

EDIT: But this would NEVER go to trial anyway. GM wouldn't allow it for such a small amount.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Mr. Meh

Quote:
While I don't disagree with either of you, I think that argument could be flipped on GM by a good lawyer (if the aFe springs lower the car the same as the GM springs).

PA: Does GM offer lowering springs?
PA: Do those alter the steering rack geometry like any other lowering spring?
PA: So did GM release a product knowing that it could negatively affect a very important part of the car that, if damaged, can cause serious injury or death to the driver, passengers, and other motorists?
D: Ummm....
PA: Folks, GM has just admitted that they released a product that they know can harm everyone on the road. It could even be one of you!
DA: Objection, speculation and relevance
J: Sustained

Too late, it's on the record and in the jury's mind.

It's called the Reptile Theory defense and usually it's used by defense attorney's but I can see a plaintiff attorney using it in this case. Big corp vs. little guy.

EDIT: But this would NEVER go to trial anyway. GM wouldn't allow it for such a small amount.
It would be countered quickly with commentary about the type of coils used, how they're installed, the overall lowering height, etc. on top of other things they've used to prove whether or not their specific P/N lowering kit affects the PS pump... You're talking about people that can make other people lose millions over using a , or a ; wrong.

Even down to the metal types and the mixtures of them in the coils, number of coils in the spring, if there's a coating on them and what it's made of, how they sit in the spring seat. Even down to the bound/rebound rates of the spring itself.

Unless, of course, you summon your spunky fiance to the stand, who's the daughter of a mechanic, whose brothers are all mechanics and can for sure tell you that car did or did not have posi-traction.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
It would be countered quickly with commentary about the type of coils used, how they're installed, the overall lowering height, etc. on top of other things they've used to prove whether or not their specific P/N lowering kit affects the PS pump... You're talking about people that can make other people lose millions over using a , or a ; wrong.

Even down to the metal types and the mixtures of them in the coils, number of coils in the spring, if there's a coating on them and what it's made of, how they sit in the spring seat. Even down to the bound/rebound rates of the spring itself.

Unless, of course, you summon your spunky fiance to the stand, who's the daughter of a mechanic, whose brothers are all mechanics and can for sure tell you that car did or did not have posi-traction.
It's all just a good thought experiment. In the end, it wouldn't be worth it for GM or OP to go all the way to court on this one. A new rack is under a couple grand brand new and I'm sure there are reman racks out there.

I still would like to know what ends up being wrong with the rack.

EDIT: Great My Cousin Vinnie reference BTW
Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Mr. Meh

Quote:
It's all just a good thought experiment. In the end, it wouldn't be worth it for GM or OP to go all the way to court on this one. A new rack is under a couple grand brand new and I'm sure there are reman racks out there.

I still would like to know what ends up being wrong with the rack.

EDIT: Great My Cousin Vinnie reference BTW
Yep... My last 3 jobs have all been at law firms or related to servicing their needs.. So, I've heard all manner of legal poetry with how to make something legal, illegal and something illegal, legal... It's amazing the lyrical wordsmithing some of them can do.

And, thank ya... The whole time, I just hear Herman Munster saying "overruuuuuuled!"
Old 07-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
SuperSteveSS

Well I'm waiting on the service guys to get off their lunch and also waiting on a price for the steering gear assembly.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteveSS View Post
Well I'm waiting on the service guys to get off their lunch and also waiting on a price for the steering gear assembly.
Please update us to let us know exactly is wrong with it. Good luck.