Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
jrh@lpe

Drives: anything
ZL1, CTSV, ZR1 and other intercooler pump flow test results

Here are some of the results of recent electric intercooler pump testing performed at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

We have performed this type of testing before on several of these pumps but, since we recently upgraded our coolant flow measurement equipment to a much higher level of flow meter that allows us to very accurately measure flow over a very wide range of flows with very little to no impact on the system restriction, we felt this was a good time to perform this testing again and to do so on an expanded range of pumps and conditions.

For this testing we tested the pumps in two primary ways:
  • fixed known restriction using a ZL1 intercooler (from inside the supercharger assembly) and intercooler radiator with OEM diameter coolant hoses (3/4")
  • variable orifice restriction after the pump so that we could simulate any level of restriction that the pump might encounter (depending on the installed application)
We tested several different intercooler pumps including:
  • stock OEM ZL1 intercooler pump (this is also the GMPP LSA and LS9 crate engine pump)
  • stock OEM Cadillac CTSV/Bosch PCA 1150LPH intercooler pump
  • stock OEM ZR1 intercooler pump
  • VariMax 410110 DC brushless intercooler pump
  • a common aftermarket 20GPM inline electric pump
  • a common aftermarket 55GPM inline electric pump
  • Stewart-EMP E2512A DC brushless intercooler pump
  • Stewart-EMP E2512A pump reprogrammed to raise the current/pump RPM limit (revised pump part # 1030002107 when programmed with this software)
We tested a few other pumps as well but the above pumps are the primary ones we focused on.

During the testing some of the variables we recorded included:
  • coolant flow
  • outlet pressure
  • inlet pressure (positive or negative)
  • differential pressure across the pump
  • pump voltage
  • pump current
  • coolant temperature
All tests were repeated multiple times (at least three times), the data checked to make sure we had test to test repeatability and then the results were averaged to produce the data described below.

The Bosch 1150 LPH PCA pump continues to be the baseline standard pump used in many liquid to air intercooler systems in both OEM and aftermarket applications. In the ZL1 system it flowed 3.6 gallons per minute (GPM). This is the same pump used in the 2009-2013 Cadillac CTSV, Cadillac STSV, Cadillac XLRV, 1999-2004 Ford Lightning, Fort GT500 and many other OEM applications. It is also the pump used in Magnuson, Edelbrock, Whipple and many other aftermarket supercharger kits. It is fairly compact, very reliable and has low current draw. It performs fairly well against an outlet restriction but doesn't flow as well as some of the newer, higher output pumps that are available. This same pump has existed for well over 10 years without any major design changes.

As expected from our previous testing, the ZL1 pump flowed more than the Bosch pump (4.8 GPM vs 3.6 GPM) and the VariMax pump (PN TAFX410110) flowed the same as the ZL1 pump when tested in the stock ZL1 intercooler and intercooler radiator circuit. The Varimax pump is the pump that is in our CTSV pump upgrade kit (part # L330030709) that brings the CTSV up to the same pump flow specification as the ZL1. At 3.6 GPM, the Bosch pump flowed 25% less than the ZL1 and the VariMax pumps.

Also as expected, the ZR1 pump performed very well. It flowed 5.7 gpm, 19% more than the stock ZL1 pump. For its size and current draw the ZR1 pump is a very impressive pump as it is no bigger than the ZL1 pump yet flows more than pumps more than twice its size and does so with 3/4" hose fittings in and out. On the other hand it is a fairly expensive pump, with an MSRP of over $1000 and "street price" of not much under that.

The Stewart-EMP E2512A intercooler pump also performed well, matching the ZR1 pump flow when installed in the ZL1 circuit despite the fact that the inlet hose was 3/4", not the recommended 1" inlet. When we reprogrammed the Stewart-EMP pump to raise the internal pump speed and current limit, the flow was significantly increased to 7.7 gpm. That is 60% more than the ZL1 stock pump. This pump performs very well at high pressure drops but the current draw does increase significantly when the pressure across the pump is high (when the restriction is high) so you need to make sure you account for that in your wiring. The Stewart-EMP pump is a pump we have been using for several years in high horsepower supercharged and turbocharged vehicle applications including our 1250RWHP Camaro SS, our white turbo drag Camaro, and numerous 1000-1600+ HP customer builds.

The 20GPM and 55GPM pumps we tested are pumps that are commonly being used and sold as intercooler pumps so we felt we needed to test how these performed compared to the above pumps that we use on a fairly regular basis. When tested with very little restriction these pumps flowed fairly well and used little electrical current to do so. Once the restriction started to increase the flow of these pumps dropped significantly though. Both pumps, when installed in a stock ZL1 intercooler system, flowed less than the stock ZL1 pump and not much more than the Bosch pump. At higher differential pressures (outlet restrictions) even the Bosch pump flowed more as can be seen by the graph of pump flow vs differential pressure. In 2002 when we were developing and testing a turbo Ecotec engine in the NHRA Sport Compact series we had found similar results. The billet housing electric pump that we had purchased and installed in the vehicle that was supposed to be a high flow pump actually flowed less than the Bosch production pump we were using in the low boost, 500 HP supercharged customer street cars at the time. As we found out then, many pumps being sold in the marketplace are being flow rated with no pump restriction and that many of these pumps did not flow nearly as well when tested in an as installed configuration.

Here are the graphs of the test data described above:

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,
jrh@lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
How about the Meziere pump. Did you happen to test it? Maybe renamed.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Graham Behan

Drives: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
How about the Meziere pump. Did you happen to test it? Maybe renamed.
Which spec Meziere pump?

Graham.
Graham Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Pretty sure a meziere pump was tested....

Probably one that claims big numbers of flow but
Once restricted is not very impressive

I have seen CADILLAC GUYS buy something from
some vendor that was not so hot...also saw 2 other
Supporting vendors here selling a claimed better pump that in fact
Was worse than the ZL1 pump they removed.

Thank LPE for setting the record straight.

Btw we love the vari-max pumps in our ZL1 conversion
Kits
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
sticky?
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Pretty sure a meziere pump was tested....

Probably one that claims big numbers of flow but
Once restricted is not very impressive

I have seen CADILLAC GUYS buy something from
some vendor that was not so hot...also saw 2 other
Supporting vendors here selling a claimed better pump that in fact
Was worse than the ZL1 pump they removed.

Thank LPE for setting the record straight.

Btw we love the vari-max pumps in our ZL1 conversion
Kits
Great afordable upgrade, easy swapout on SS model. Returned the Mezeire after multiple problems, bracket problems (quality/had to radius just to even fit the pump/twice the price/bracket wouldn't fit, let alone the pump). Thanks for the great pump, fair price, and great service Jason Haines, Jeff Myers, Ryan Gledhill, Graham Behan and LPE!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood

Last edited by Blue70SS; 04-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
honestly I knew the results by just realizing that you fail to mention the name Meziere in your comparison. Frankly speaking biased was the first word that came to mind.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Graham Behan

Drives: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
honestly I knew the results by just realizing that you fail to mention the name Meziere in your comparison. Frankly speaking biased was the first word that came to mind.
Not really sure how “bias” is involved, the pumps are named by their product numbers, or popular “Internet nomenclature”. All I see is a well presented data set from a Vendor sharing test information that will be of benefit to all in the community, allowing reasoned decisions on their product choice. I guess it could also be a data set for those with vested interest to deride for their own reasons, but overall it is great information worth sharing and to the benefit of all.

Graham.
Graham Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Blue70SS

Quote:
If you'll search, you'll find claims of the Meziere 55 gal pump and supposed testing..... but not a single test I could find searching and posting up threads looking for information - even after the seller asking numerous times (which claimed to have done a lot of testing). With LPE's facilities and testing dedication I wouldn't doubt the test for a second. Besides.... it's showing a great quite pump at 1/2 the price, which they could have easily jacked up the price to include the R&D testing. They share facts and not just anything for publicity.

Also, by not mentioning Meziere I think they were just being respectful and not coming across as slaming a vendor. Which on a side note.... is a lot noiser for those that care - didn't bother me much, as I have the Torq Dual Pass with dual fans.... hoping to add a LPE themostatically controlled system later and relays to turn off when IAT drops below ambiant or with a predermined temp above ambient for circulating ice (so the HE doesn't warm up the coolant at a certain point).

LPE Brotherhood

Last edited by Blue70SS; 04-12-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Blue70SS

Pics of Varimax installed on 2010 SS Camaro with Magnuson TVS2300

Hope you don't mind Jason.... but felt the need to post up pics of the great product. This had not been installed on an SS yet.... and the install went great. LPE even has harnesses for the Camaro, CSTV, ZL1 which incorporates a connector for an option that I'll let Jason explain when the time is appropriate. The only change I made was to add a elongated sliced piece of 3/4" coolant hose about 3" long to isolate the lower worm clamp from the frame. I was able to reuse the existing screw from the Bosch pump and added the second screw after locating the exact same hardware at a local Ace hardware. The pump has a really nice rubber isolator and is quite, brushless, and no shaft seal that can eventually leak like some of the competitors. Flow inside the LPE 1 gal reservoir is noticeably faster when viewing with the cap off too. What I really like about the 1 gal reservoir is it give a chance for any bubbles to float to the top, before getting instantly sucked right back into the system.
Attached Images

LPE Brotherhood

Last edited by Blue70SS; 04-12-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Blue70SS

Quote:
ayousef - I respect your comments, but you were also jumping in against Torq. There are some that do their homework and get the respect for it .... LPE, ADM, and Jannetty come to mind as great homework guys. (short list and I'm sure there's more)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277956

LPE Brotherhood
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Are these centrifugal pumps, gear pumps, or other?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Behan View Post
Which spec Meziere pump?

Graham.
I only ask because whenever water pumps are mentioned their name always pops up as the best. My friend has had his STS rear mount turbo on his Silverado for about 8 years and one of the first things he did was get a bigger heat exchanger and replace the pump with a Meziere. The difference in flow was night and day from what STS shipped out. He added a one gallon reservoir and you can see the flow(and hear it since it is quite load) when the cap is off. Will have to ask him which one he has.

I also have a rear mount with a W/A I/C and was looking to upgrade. First, it came with no reservoir and more importantly the pump no longer works so I have to replace it anyways.

Here is what it currently has.

SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
ayousef - I respect your comments, but you were also jumping in against Torq. There are some that do their homework and get the respect for it .... LPE, ADM, and Jannetty come to mind as great homework guys. (short list and I'm sure there's more)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277956
someone has to question stuff like this that get posted up. Lingenfelter never post on this forum and then come with a big post like this, why would anyone give free information there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The fact that the word Meziere was not once mentioned in the OP tells that there is a conflict between LPE and Meziere and based on what I know Meziere are one of the ****iest companies you can ever deal with.

From the instant I read the word "common 20gpm pump" I knew that LPE was gonna drop the H bomb on Meziere hence I used the word "biased".

LPE are standup guys and ive dealt with them in the past and will do so in the future, but I would like to see this test done by someone else that is totally unbiased to any of the products listed above and is not a vendor of any. Hard to find someone willing to do the test? No and if this gets too far I will make someone test all those pumps just for the hell of it

ADM, LPE's close friend drops the bomb on two other vendors selling those pumps one of which is obviously Torq. Torq claimed they saw a significant drop in inlet temps with the 55gpm pump and said they did extensive research on that pump. LPE says the opposite, someone has to be wrong here which brings be back to the reason I question vendor claims.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intercooler pump flow zl1