Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
mdbennes

Drives: '18 Silver SS 1LE
Former Vette owner buying 1LE

First of all, this is my first post on this forum and looking forward to learning everything possible from all of you pros. I am also a previous vette owner, actually owned 5 and this will be my first camaro. I am picking her up on Friday and can't wait to get it. Looking forward to the 2 hour drive back home in it and perfect weather. Thanks...

Mike

Past Rides
2000 Corvette FRC
2000 Corvette Coupe
2002 Corvette ZO6
2005 Corvette Coupe
2016 Corvette Stingray
mdbennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
high_climber

Drives: 2017 1LE Hyper Blue Metallic
Welcome to the forum! Let me be the first to attest that you are going to love your 1LE! The handling, exhaust note, and torque are exhilarating and I’m shocked how many heads it turns. This forum is a wealth of information and it’s members are the most helpful I have seen on a car forum. Be sure to post some pics of the new car once you take delivery!!
high_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Welcome yep it’s everything he said.
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
mdbennes

That's my plan when I get up to the dealer. I got a good deal, got it down to $40,934. I drove a 2SS here in Fort Walton Beach, but never driven a 1LE. I heard its a bit different for the better.

I love vettes, but figured I would look into a Camaro after I sold my last one...then bought a truck thinking I needed it but not anymore. I need a fun car now to drive and I can see where heads turn...these cars look awesome!

Past Rides
2000 Corvette FRC
2000 Corvette Coupe
2002 Corvette ZO6
2005 Corvette Coupe
2016 Corvette Stingray
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbennes View Post
First of all, this is my first post on this forum and looking forward to learning everything possible from all of you pros. I am also a previous vette owner, ...Thanks...
Mike
Welcome Mike. I'm in the same boat. Sold my C7 Z51, bought my 2018 1SS 1LE 3 weeks ago - my first Camaro ever. I'm loving the car so far.

I'm so happy I bought it ($44K out the door with all taxes, fees, etc), vs paying the $66K I was planning to spend on a Grand Sport 2LT.

I'll tell you some of the pros so far:

1 - I can go through car washes without scraping the bottom of the car. Sounds silly, by I have a $20/month unlimited washes plan at a local car was chain, and I like clean cars. I used to cringe every time my Vette went through it.

2 - Visibility, that people (specially Mustang6 guys) almost scared me from buying the car, is a non issue. I felt instantly comfortable driving it.

3 - Interior on the 1SS 1LE with the leather power recaros is just amazing for the price.

4 - Electronics are awesome - nearly as good as the C7.

5 - M6 transmission is amazing.

6 - Car sounds and looks awesome. Had 2 valet parking events where they put it upfront in the VIP and multiple people came to look take pics - this is becasue there are virtually no Camaros where I live.

7 - Did I mention sound? Like the Vette I fixed the sound to track. Just love it.

Things to explore, that I'm still undecided:
1 - It feels much bigger than the Vette (even though I know it isn't), and I feel that I am too high off the road. Still miss the low to the ground feel of the Vette.

2 - Rear suspension is a little odd. It is always moving around when pushed, with this weird feeling sometimes like the outside rear wheel "drops" or "takes a set" then grips. That I can only work out on track.

3 - Does have some wheel hop. But I found out that disabling traction control or even just putting it in comp mode makes it 80% better.

4 - Suspension on the 1LE is harsh on the disgusting patched pavement around here. I fixed my suspension on Tour and steering on sport. This way I can put it in sport and track mode (for better throttle response, PTM, etc) without paying the penalty on my kidneys. When I take to track I'll fix suspension to track. Steering will stay in sport even on track - "track" steering is just unecessarily heavy, but add no more precision.

5 - Back seats are a joke - only my 11 year old daughter will ever ride there - but I think it will work well to transport my helmet and a few other items.

Overall - I miss the Vette a tiny little bit. But getting a Camaro feels like getting a new car. Getting another C7 Vette would feel like a repeat.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
First of all, this is my first post on this forum and looking forward to learning everything possible from all of you pros. I am also a previous vette owner, actually owned 5 and this will be my first camaro. I am picking her up on Friday and can't wait to get it. Looking forward to the 2 hour drive back home in it and perfect weather. Thanks...

Mike
Congrats!
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Also, a previous vette owner, and when I went shopping back in November 2016, I also test drove a GS to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I found the 1LE to be every bit as competent, and being older was much easier getting in and out of, and also fit better in my rather tight garage.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
mdbennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Welcome Mike. I'm in the same boat. Sold my C7 Z51, bought my 2018 1SS 1LE 3 weeks ago - my first Camaro ever. I'm loving the car so far.

I'm so happy I bought it ($44K out the door with all taxes, fees, etc), vs paying the $66K I was planning to spend on a Grand Sport 2LT.

1 - I can go through car washes without scraping the bottom of the car. Sounds silly, by I have a $20/month unlimited washes plan at a local car was chain, and I like clean cars. I used to cringe every time my Vette went through it.

2 - Visibility, that people (specially Mustang6 guys) almost scared me from buying the car, is a non issue. I felt instantly comfortable driving it.

3 - Interior on the 1SS 1LE with the leather power recaros is just amazing for the price.

6 - Car sounds and looks awesome. Had 2 valet parking events where they put it upfront in the VIP and multiple people came to look take pics - this is becasue there are virtually no Camaros where I live.

7 - Did I mention sound? Like the Vette I fixed the sound to track. Just love it.

1 - It feels much bigger than the Vette (even though I know it isn't), and I feel that I am too high off the road. Still miss the low to the ground feel of the Vette.

2 - Rear suspension is a little odd. It is always moving around when pushed, with this weird feeling sometimes like the outside rear wheel "drops" or "takes a set" then grips. That I can only work out on track.

3 - Does have some wheel hop. But I found out that disabling traction control or even just putting it in comp mode makes it 80% better.

4 - Suspension on the 1LE is harsh on the disgusting patched pavement around here. I fixed my suspension on Tour and steering on sport. This way I can put it in sport and track mode (for better throttle response, PTM, etc) without paying the penalty on my kidneys. When I take to track I'll fix suspension to track. Steering will stay in sport even on track - "track" steering is just unecessarily heavy, but add no more precision.

5 - Back seats are a joke - only my 11 year old daughter will ever ride there - but I think it will work well to transport my helmet and a few other items.

Overall - I miss the Vette a tiny little bit. But getting a Camaro feels like getting a new car. Getting another C7 Vette would feel like a repeat.
Awesome write up...THANK YOU!!

Past Rides
2000 Corvette FRC
2000 Corvette Coupe
2002 Corvette ZO6
2005 Corvette Coupe
2016 Corvette Stingray
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
mdbennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Also, a previous vette owner, and when I went shopping back in November 2016, I also test drove a GS to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I found the 1LE to be every bit as competent, and being older was much easier getting in and out of, and also fit better in my rather tight garage.

I was looking at a GS as well, and thought the same thing. I love vettes, and always will, just wanted to try something different and still have the HP to play with. I'm glad to hear it fits nice in the garage too...Thanks for the info.

Past Rides
2000 Corvette FRC
2000 Corvette Coupe
2002 Corvette ZO6
2005 Corvette Coupe
2016 Corvette Stingray
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post

Congrats to the OP! I too came from a Vette and haven't regretted it for a second.

Baron - my car's suspension feel was subliminal even with factory alignment. So I'd suggest something is not quite right if you're detecting rear end moving around.
Check that everything is buttoned down right. From your description it sure sounds like something might be loose back there? F sway coming loose is a fairly common issue but evident by a "clunking" noise. Perhaps something else is the culprit on your car? In any case that's odd vs normal from what you're describing.
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Baron - my car's suspension feel was subliminal even with factory alignment. So I'd suggest something is not quite right if you're detecting rear end moving around.
Check that everything is buttoned down right. From your description it sure sounds like something might be loose back there? F sway coming loose is a fairly common issue but evident by a "clunking" noise. Perhaps something else is the culprit on your car? In any case that's odd vs normal from what you're describing.
Cheers!
I just started another track on my cars alignment. The factory alignment was all over the place, now it is at least decent, but need to find a place that will manage to put the right amount of neg camber for track.

The weather has been so horrible that I haven't had a chance to lift the car and go over suspension bolts/torque checks, etc. But I will.

I don't want anyone to read too much into my comments on the rear suspension. It may be very well just a wrong frist impression. It is just my initial reaction compared to the Vette. It is based on driving the car on the street in crappy weather/roads. I can't wait for my first track day to check it out for real.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
TrackClub

Sounds good. Btw I took mine to a dealer (very reputable - they handle my car like it is an exotic!) and had them put 2.6F 1.6R camber with zero issues. Love the handling and still very good on the street.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
mdbennes

I'm going to need to find a track here in the area once I get her broken in. I bet its a blast on the track.

Past Rides
2000 Corvette FRC
2000 Corvette Coupe
2002 Corvette ZO6
2005 Corvette Coupe
2016 Corvette Stingray
Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
I'm going to need to find a track here in the area once I get her broken in. I bet its a blast on the track.
To say it is remarkable on the track is an understatement ...