Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Parker3

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Need help finding a cam!

I have been looking at cams for a couple of weeks now but I can't find what I have been looking for. I want a mild cam nothing big that I can daily drive. But I want something that makes good power and has a good lope at idle! Any help or feedback would be appreciated!

Mods-1 7/8 Headers, and a cai
Parker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Fit4Ink

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Have you looked at BTR cams??
Fit4Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Gonna need a tune too...talk to one of the online vendors...dynoSteve...Ted...they can prob spec a cam and send the tune with it...
Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
I had a tsp vvt2 and it fits most of your wants
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Livernois 2c
Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
If you are particular about what you're looking for, going custom grind is the way to go most likely.

http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help
Take a look at that, Pat G will custom spec you a cam for ~$25
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #7
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Pat G. or Brian Tooley.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker3 View Post
I have been looking at cams for a couple of weeks now but I can't find what I have been looking for. I want a mild cam nothing big that I can daily drive. But I want something that makes good power and has a good lope at idle! Any help or feedback would be appreciated!

I asked the same questions for about a year before I decided to go with the Brian Tooley (BTR) Stage 3 N/A cam. I daily drive my Camaro and have very little issues with it bucking under low RPM's. The way I see it with the BTR cams is like this if you care about your neighbors and have a good relationship then go with the stage 2 cam, but if you don't mind making some noise then go with the Stage 3 cam. You can check out my build thread, it has video, and hopefully it helps. Just skip to the very last page of my build thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=275478&page=7

Last edited by Sapper12b; 01-25-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:

We have a variety of cams that we offer.
It's so hard to throw out a blanket recommendation without more info.
It's just as much about future mods as it is current ones as most do not like to buy the same part several times.
Like another member mentioned out L92 Stage 2C camshaft has been a good all around winner for years.
It has great drive ability, killer sound, it's stroker and power adder friendly and works good with a stick or auto.
For those that are going to compliment the camshaft with a set of our CNC ported heads we recommend going with the newer L92 Stage 2C-HL
if your a stick shift customer that is more N/A or road race inspired our L92 stage 2R-MAX is a great camshaft choice.
It is on the aggressive side
Also on a side note mod dependent we can send a Mycal hand held to you as well and set you up with our custom remote tuning this keeps you from having to chase local tuning that may or may not be up to par and the ability to load the stock file without having to go back to said local shop for re flashing.
This is mod dependent and combo dependent of course.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
I asked the same questions for about a year before I decided to go with the Brian Tooley (BTR) Stage 3 N/A cam. I daily drive my Camaro and have very little issues with it bucking under low RPM's. The way I see it with the BTR cams is like this if you care about your neighbors and have a good relationship then go with the stage 2 cam, but if you don't mind making some noise then go with the Stage 3 cam. You can check out my build thread, it has video, and hopefully it helps. Just skip to the very last page of my build thread.

How much did J-Rod charge you for everything in that cam install? Also, LS3 or L99?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #11
Parker3

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post

How reliable has the stage 3 been, and also how is it for a daily? Also I wouldn't mind making some noise haha. I was looking at your thread and seen all the parts you used how much did it end of costing you total in the end if you don't mind me asking? Because I live in Texas so if I were to decide on a cam I could also take it to j-rod and have a rough estimate of cost!
Parker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
This is the quote I got from a Houston area shop

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...00#post9492000
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 AM   #13
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
This is the quote I got from a Houston area shop

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...00#post9492000
Your car is an auto that will have a different price quote than my manual transmission. Simply due to the fact of having to deal with the VVT and torque converter. I can say without a doubt that J-Rod took better care of my car while it was getting built than I could ever imagine. I have gone back for another mod and have plans for more.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #14
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Quote:
How reliable has the stage 3 been, and also how is it for a daily? Also I wouldn't mind making some noise haha. I was looking at your thread and seen all the parts you used how much did it end of costing you total in the end if you don't mind me asking? Because I live in Texas so if I were to decide on a cam I could also take it to j-rod and have a rough estimate of cost!
Had my cam installed with 71k miles and I'm currently at 83k miles. The car doesn't not like going slow and it actually gets better MPG the faster I go. It does buck a little if you let the RPMs get below 1300, but dealing with every day stop and go traffic is not that much of a big deal.