#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw760 View Post
I dont have the car in front of me, its on the lift at the dealer. It was built the week of 2-26-18. Landed by rail to Milpitas CA distribution center 3-10-18.

Just got to the Wild West Chevrolet in Yerington NV 3-18-18

No excuse for this one IMO, it should have never left the plant like this.

Dale
I had the same build week. Small world as our ZL1 are cousins. Someone did not know how to install a seal is all it unfourantely it caused all of this. The engineer told me they flagged quite a few for “QC” & were caught before final delivery.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
dw760

Drives: C3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
I had the same build week. Small world as our ZL1 are cousins. Someone did not know how to install a seal is all it unfourantely it caused all of this. The engineer told me they flagged quite a few for “QC” & were caught before final delivery.

That's exactly right, I was a service manager many years, engine builder and racer. 99.9 % of seals or hard lines are not bad.

Its who or what installed them that Fs them up.

Thanks HT

Dale
dw760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
The warranty paid for it not me. I can access GM Global system from work & I can see what they paid for the warranty claim. I hired a lawyer of course for a lemon law claim. GM Settled instead.
I gotcha.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #18
dw760

I have to give my dealer credit. They had the line or lines overnight shipped from MI. The parts showed up today with the Aluminum block.

The one photo shows the drip of ATF that ran down from the base of the upper line. It was allot worse yesterday when I drove the car from one service bay to the one with the lift.

Ed the tech has become a friend, and Im going there tomorrow to help him do the job. I will take a few photos, and see first hand if this turns out to be a real pain or its not to bad.

Also will be checking the front sway bar link bolts after pulling the wheels, but not until this oil leak is fixed.

74 ft lbs > plus 90 to 105 degree rotation.

D
Attached Images

Last edited by dw760; 03-23-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #19
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Man, that really is rough to hear. Hope it all works out.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #20
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Man, that really is rough to hear. Hope it all works out.
Thanks, Im sure it will and I sure hope sooner than later. I will know allot more tomorrow afternoon.

DW
Old 03-21-2018, 11:58 PM   #21
dw760

The Tarantula

I headed down to the dealer this morning, but the tech called in sick so zero work done. I did pull the wheels off for them to install my street tires on the stock rims, and cleaned the chassis up from the long trip here during transport.

I was glad its didn't have the corrosion my SS 1LE did when it showed up.

I then opened the box to check out the new trans lines, and this is what I found. All this for one bad line that leads to the top of the aluminum block.

What a royal pain in the ass this is going to be. I sure hope they ordered new o rings or gasket where the block mates to the trans, and have the proper fluid in stock !

Will report back when progress is made

DW
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
dw760

Got about 75% done today. Poor tech was only given 6.5 hours flat rate by GM, and that was removing the entire front end, lower cooler, dropping rack and pinion, front sway bar and the list goes on.

I suggested we separate the kit, buy snipping a plastic bridge, a couple clamps, and only replace my bad line attached to the aluminum block. I dont want my entire nose of my brand new car removed just because GM says so.

We had to drop the exhaust, remove the rear trans mount, linkage , several bolt on clamps and remove the hose from the radiator also. One upper line clamp bolt was ridicules to get to up in the tunnel. Had to pry the trans over and shim it to keep it there, and get very creative with several various tools to get the bolt out that you cannot even see. Also dropped the front sway bar, letting it pivot and rotate out of the way.

After that we were able to snake the line out and start re assembly. I shortened the one clamp bolt a 1/8" tapered the end a bit and clean up the threads. This allowed me to get it back in there and get it started by finger tips only.

This took about 4 1/2 hours, and Im sure we have a couple more to go tomorrow.

The tire you see are my new Falken FK 510s I just installed on the stock wheels.

D
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #23
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
You must have a very good relationship with the dealer that they allow you to be in the shop for so long, especially helping repair the vehicle, with insurance regulations etc. I know the feeling of not wanting youre brand new car torn apart for this repair, but if you guys had seperated the new assembly, GM wouldnt have gotten it back as it was on the vehicle for engineering to inspect properly. Plus, had you seperated it and then theres another issue due to taking it apart.....
Problems happen with new cars all the time, this is why there is a pre-delivery inspection. Had a 4WD S-10 one time that had no front differential fluid from the factory. A VW and a Mercedes where a door speaker wasnt plugged in, a Mazda 6 that the Horn fuse was missing.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #24
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
GM tech??? Car appears to be in a home garage. Is that the dealership service bay???
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #25
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
You must have a very good relationship with the dealer that they allow you to be in the shop for so long, especially helping repair the vehicle, with insurance regulations etc. I know the feeling of not wanting youre brand new car torn apart for this repair, but if you guys had seperated the new assembly, GM wouldnt have gotten it back as it was on the vehicle for engineering to inspect properly. Plus, had you seperated it and then theres another issue due to taking it apart.....
Problems happen with new cars all the time, this is why there is a pre-delivery inspection. Had a 4WD S-10 one time that had no front differential fluid from the factory. A VW and a Mercedes where a door speaker wasnt plugged in, a Mazda 6 that the Horn fuse was missing.

Pre delivery inspection, that's a laugh ... This should have been caught at the factory period. Im not pulling my entire front end off the car that has 2 miles on it, to replace one line when the other one is perfect.

Its only two nylon ties with a small round bridge, its not like we destroyed them to install the one bad line only. Wont effect a thing or my warranty. Yes I have a good relationship with the dealer, and this is my 4th Vehicle Ive bought from them. They know my back ground, and we help each other out. Small town, good people.

D

Last edited by dw760; 03-23-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #26
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
GM tech??? Car appears to be in a home garage. Is that the dealership service bay???

Yep sure is, but these two bays are the ones used to rebuild diesel trucks normally. Nearly every other day cabs are off trucks. They just finished a full re model to the sales, store front, and service entrance. Looks brand new and up to modern Chevy standards.

Next up is the work shop I believe.

Last edited by dw760; 03-23-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #27
dw760

Finally home

Nice to get the new car home late yesterday

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #28
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Damn those lines were almost as much labor as installing a new transmission. They had to remove the front facia?