Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 09-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Yeah! Another thread of worthless complaining.
Complaining about complaining is very meta.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #16
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
yea-It's stupid!IT IS IN THE BACKSEAT!Door pockets-where? o in the backseat!
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
clrkmr

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Not to pile on, but even if you have a phone that fits there, it is useless if you are using Apple Play or Android Auto as you have to plug the phone into the USB plug anyway so you don't need wireless charging. Both of these seem to be check box marketing items that were added to the car without any real design thought. Ideally you would be able to place your phone on the wireless charger and have it connect to Apple Play or Android Auto via Bluetooth and the wireless charger should come with different sized rubber inserts (GM Read this as another nickle and dime your customers sales opportunity for you) for different size phones. But that would have taken real engineering thought and not marketing thought.
clrkmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
It's a gimmick. They should remove it from the future refresh. It's the only practical place to put my sunglasses though.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #19
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
It's a gimmick. They should remove it from the future refresh. It's the only practical place to put my sunglasses though.
Do they stay charged?

reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #20
Genesis7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
My Samsung Galaxy S6 fits beautifully... not like the CrApple phones.
Genesis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #21
Seahawkfrost

Drives: 2018 2SS 6MT Hot Wheels Edition
I just have a base model so no wireless charging pad for me but I do use that area for my spare change.
Seahawkfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #22
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
My Galaxy S6 fits perfect, use it all the time and love it!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #23
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
I prefer the driver's side map pocket, shrug.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
I thought the only thing that mattered was the performance specs. No one who buys a Camaro should be concerned about practicality!
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #25
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrkmr View Post
Not to pile on, but even if you have a phone that fits there, it is useless if you are using Apple Play or Android Auto as you have to plug the phone into the USB plug anyway so you don't need wireless charging. Both of these seem to be check box marketing items that were added to the car without any real design thought. Ideally you would be able to place your phone on the wireless charger and have it connect to Apple Play or Android Auto via Bluetooth and the wireless charger should come with different sized rubber inserts (GM Read this as another nickle and dime your customers sales opportunity for you) for different size phones. But that would have taken real engineering thought and not marketing thought.
Before you go on a rant, please understand the technology. No one has wireless support for CarPlay or AA in a vehicle yet. It has absolutely nothing to do with GM and in the future (when the hardware for wireless CarPlay and AA is made compatible) you will be able to use the wireless charging pad at the same time. There are also questions about the effectiveness of wireless charging and while doing wireless AA for example. AA draws a good ammount of power. Currently the universal Qi standard is low rate charging. This means it would likely not be able to keep the phone charged while using wireless AA. Now Samsung and others are now shipping phones that support a fast wireless charging profile. This should solve these issues, but again highlights how this technology is still brand new and changing rapidly. At this point you should be hoping Apple decides to use a non-proprietary form of connection for wireless CarPlay. Otherwise it will take specific hardware in the car to work (i.e. new version of myLink). Google is reportedly planning on using the car's built-in WiFi to enable theirs. So that should mean backwards compatibility. I hope Apple does the same.

All the points about the charging pad are valid. For the life of me I cannot see how someone on the design team thought it was a good idea. I mean it's a Camaro...it will be driven aggressively. Why did they put a tiny inductive coil (which requires the phone to stay in one exact position) on a pad too shallow without adjustable rubber grips to custom fit various phones. I do not have a problem charging my S6 on a cheap Amazon pad at home, but it refuses to charge it with the case on it in the car. Not to mention having to keep the phone in a specific spot to charge. Exactly how are you supposed to pick up the phone and put it back on the charger if you are driving? Just plain terrible engineering to me. And pretty obvious this never was tested really in the production mule phase.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #26
Vectors2Final

Drives: 17' Camaro 2SS 16' Jeep GC SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKPAC View Post
My S7 edge has wireless charging... although it's too big to fit.!
My S7 edge fits with the rubber pad taken off. The phone doesn't fall off, either.

And the Note 7 issue is just a one off mistake. I've been using Qi for over two years now with no issues.

Edit: it's back there so you're not finger ****ing your phone while driving.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
Somebody capable please draw and print up a nice storage insert the replace both the pad and the charger below it.
^^^^This!
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #28
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis7 View Post
Today I had sex with myself on my new Camaro! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis7 View Post
My Samsung Galaxy S6 fits beautifully... not like the CrApple phones.
Isn't your car parked somewhere waiting for you to come and have sex with yourself on it??
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote