Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-19-2023, 09:42 PM   #15
smwalker

Drives: Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I haven't been able to find anything that calls out which codes are PDTC, may be PDTC, aren't, etc. The PDTC codes are ones that identify issues directly related to emissions (from what I can tell).
The P in the code stands for Powertrain. All P codes have to do with emissions - They are the ones that turn on the Check Engine Light.
All Powertrain Codes in cars built after 2010 are permanent. Meaning all P codes set an "active" code and a "Permanent" code when they detect a problem. The active code can be cleared with a scanner. The permanent stays around to let the ECU decide when to clear it.

The key is how fast the Permanent code clears after the repair has been made and active codes cleared with a scanner. Ford has said 1 successful completion of the drive cycle.* Some have said 3 successful drive cycles. I have found none of that to be true. I don't think anyone knows for sure.

I have read the ECU wants to see the same (or Close to) environmental parameters it saw when it set the code. And sometimes tuning can turn off certain things so the ECU will never see that parameter again. I have seen this a few times when tunes are applied.

And then if it is possible to clear it it depends on the frequency the monitor is tested. So a misfire will generate a permanent code but it will clear in a matter of seconds because the ECU monitors misfires so frequently. It might get 1000 instances of the monitor in the first second you start up your car. On the other end of the spectrum is the EVAP system that might only run it's monitor once a week. So clearing out a Permanent EVAP code could take months.

This is why in CA the folks who do the Smoging came up with a rule. The 200/15 rule. On 2010 and newer cars as long as you drive your car 200 miles and have 15 warm up cycles since the last time the codes were cleared (or battery disconnected) they will ignore any permanent codes that are in there hanging around.

* https://www.underhoodservice.com/for...le-codes-dtcs/

" The official requirement is 15 drive cycles and 200 miles from the time the DTC is cleared before the PDTC will clear itself. "

The 200/15 rule does not mean the PDTC will clear in the 200/15 count it means the SMOG machine will ignore it after the 200/15 count. SO it can still be in there and pass a CA SMOG no problem. As long as the inspector knows that and does not send people away without a test. That's a whole nother issue of inspectors not knowing the new rules.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:27 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
The P in the code stands for Powertrain. All P codes have to do with emissions - They are the ones that turn on the Check Engine Light.
All Powertrain Codes in cars built after 2010 are permanent. Meaning all P codes set an "active" code and a "Permanent" code when they detect a problem. The active code can be cleared with a scanner. The permanent stays around to let the ECU decide when to clear it.

The key is how fast the Permanent code clears after the repair has been made and active codes cleared with a scanner. Ford has said 1 successful completion of the drive cycle.* Some have said 3 successful drive cycles. I have found none of that to be true. I don't think anyone knows for sure.

I have read the ECU wants to see the same (or Close to) environmental parameters it saw when it set the code. And sometimes tuning can turn off certain things so the ECU will never see that parameter again. I have seen this a few times when tunes are applied.

And then if it is possible to clear it it depends on the frequency the monitor is tested. So a misfire will generate a permanent code but it will clear in a matter of seconds because the ECU monitors misfires so frequently. It might get 1000 instances of the monitor in the first second you start up your car. On the other end of the spectrum is the EVAP system that might only run it's monitor once a week. So clearing out a Permanent EVAP code could take months.

This is why in CA the folks who do the Smoging came up with a rule. The 200/15 rule. On 2010 and newer cars as long as you drive your car 200 miles and have 15 warm up cycles since the last time the codes were cleared (or battery disconnected) they will ignore any permanent codes that are in there hanging around.

* https://www.underhoodservice.com/for...le-codes-dtcs/

" The official requirement is 15 drive cycles and 200 miles from the time the DTC is cleared before the PDTC will clear itself. "

The 200/15 rule does not mean the PDTC will clear in the 200/15 count it means the SMOG machine will ignore it after the 200/15 count. SO it can still be in there and pass a CA SMOG no problem. As long as the inspector knows that and does not send people away without a test. That's a whole nother issue of inspectors not knowing the new rules.
P in PDTC stands for Permanent.

P in Pxxxx (where xxxx represents a numeric code) stands for Powertrain.

Prior to 2010, there was no such thing as PDTC, only DTC's.

And the 200/15 actually does clear the PDTC code. The inspector will fail any vehicle with a PDTC code set.

Last edited by ember1205; 12-20-2023 at 12:05 PM.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:47 PM   #17
smwalker

Drives: Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post

And the 200/15 actually does clear the PDTC code. The inspector will fail any vehicle with a PDTC code set.
You are incorrect.

Why would the BAR have to say this then:
"Are there circumstances under which a PDTC will not cause a vehicle to fail a Smog Check inspection?
Yes. PDTCs will be ignored if the vehicle has completed at least 15 warm-up cycles and been driven at least 200 miles since its OBD information was last cleared."

From https://www.bar.ca.gov/industry/pdtc

And important to know "Inspectors" cannot fail any vehicle for any codes permanent or others wise. They have no power to, the State computer does the failing. Inspectors fail people on the visual inspection and smoke test. That is important to know when they try to send you away without a test.

Last edited by smwalker; 12-22-2023 at 10:24 PM.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPeel View Post
It's time for a California smog test and I can't pass because of a P2199 code, which is a fault has been detected between the intake air temperature sensor 1 and 2 and their readings.
I would agree with lemonpeel and not want to take the car for inspection until codes are cleared.
Sometimes you are just at the mercy of these guys at the inspection station, and they are not likely to respond favorably when you tell them the limits of their jurisdiction.
I just did my 2-year NJ inspection, which is technically LIMITED to OBD hookup and scan for codes. Last inspector was a kid who spent most of the time telling me what exhaust I should get (some company that doesn't make exhausts for the Gen6). Anyway, last week different guy who gave me a lecture about installing my front license plate which has been tossed on my back floor since 2017, and really I have no intention of drilling my bumper.
So, I smiled and promised to have a shop install it ASAP.
Sticker on, see you in 2 years.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:15 PM   #19
LemonPeel

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS
Sorry for the late update as I was out of the USA. I solved the issue myself (I'm no mechanic). The wiring harness that came with the supercharger was connected incorrectly. I discovered this by just trying random "things". I'm actually surprised that a performance shop couldn't figure this out. Passed smog and all is good.
LemonPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:33 AM   #20
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
I am curious what 0-60 times you are seeing with the Edelbrock supercharger and/or your dyno results.

Last edited by The Maverick; 02-09-2024 at 10:53 PM.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:45 AM   #21
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPeel View Post
The wiring harness that came with the supercharger was connected incorrectly.
Damn squirrels!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote