Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-23-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Dealership tried to charge me huge money to fix my car

So as the story goes, I was at Sebring a couple weeks ago and my Pulley exploded/disintegrated and took my belt out at 129mph going into a heavy braking zone. It definitely wasn't something I was prepared for as the car only has 4000 miles on it and I maintain like a crazy man.

I limped it home and took it to the dealer for warranty. The service manager took the car and said the lead tech that handles only Corvettes and Camaros will work on the car.

Well they definitely tried to rob me as if i was a car newbie. Worst part is when i told him ill fix it myself he got an attitude. Then when I go to pick up my car it was in the same place a week later that they parked it and the tech never looked at the car.

Here is the Dealership vid:

Here is the vid of me fixing it myself:

Dealership wanted to charge me $1400 to fix a pulley, Belt, and breather hose. After I told the manager he was on crack he asked me what I would pay to fix it.........right then and there I knew they were trying to hose me.

Always look at the work order they give you and price out the pats yourself.....and definitely find a dealer you can trust.

Here is when it happened if you want to see lol:
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
bootss

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE with PDR
Why wasn't it covered ? Hate dealers.
bootss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Aside from pushing your YouTube videos, can you tell us why it was never replaced under warranty?
Old 05-23-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
BROCKgoFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootss View Post
Why wasn't it covered ? Hate dealers.
They claimed because it is a part outside of the motor and not in the motor. I feel like if i would have taken it to a more performance oriented dealer it would have been covered but who knows. The dealer later claimed that GM would cover the labor but all the parts would have to be purchased through GM for $680+tax and they were also on back order. I bought the parts on a Friday and had them by Monday lol
Old 05-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #5
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKgoFAST View Post
They claimed because it is a part outside of the motor and not in the motor. I feel like if i would have taken it to a more performance oriented dealer it would have been covered but who knows. The dealer later claimed that GM would cover the labor but all the parts would have to be purchased through GM for $680+tax and they were also on back order. I bought the parts on a Friday and had them by Monday lol
That’s insane. The car has a “bumper to bumper” warranty and a “powertrain” warranty correct? In my mind it would fall under either of those. A belt critical to “powertrain” operation should not even be a question. That is one of the best dealer stories I’ve heard in awhile.

Glad you got yourself back on the road. If it were me I would open a case with GM. Firstly to let them know that the dealer tried to F you and secondly to see if they’ll help you with some of the money you spent to fix your own car that is under warranty. BS!!!!
Old 05-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #6
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
That’s insane. The car has a “bumper to bumper” warranty and a “powertrain” warranty correct? In my mind it would fall under either of those. A belt critical to “powertrain” operation should not even be a question. That is one of the best dealer stories I’ve heard in awhile.

Glad you got yourself back on the road. If it were me I would open a case with GM. Firstly to let them know that the dealer tried to F you and secondly to see if they’ll help you with some of the money you spent to fix your own car that is under warranty. BS!!!!
^^this, i'd find another dealer. Unless they denied you because the car is modified in some way. Than you're on your own.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Do yourself and everyone else a favor and NEVER EVER stick your fingers on a moving pulley, particularly where you were touching!
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:16 PM   #8
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
I've read a few people talking about the pulley breaking or belts being shredded.. Seems fun Dealer sounds like some scam artists sadly. My supercharger coolant line fitting broke at like 500 miles and instead of messing with dealer I just installed the LSA coolant reservoir expansion tank which replaced the fitting/hose that broke, lol.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #9
BROCKgoFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post

I've thought about calling GM and just let them know about the dealer.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #10
BROCKgoFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Do yourself and everyone else a favor and NEVER EVER stick your fingers on a moving pulley, particularly where you were touching!
haha YOLO!! I know, i was in the moment and it was the only way for me to see if it was spinning. The first time i started the car it looked like it was frozen but it was spinning so nicely i couldn't see it
Old 05-23-2023, 03:33 PM   #11
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Yeah unfortunately I know from experience. Not a pulley but something every bit as bad. I thought to myself as I was going to do it, “This is a really bad idea”, before I even finished the thought it was over….
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:48 PM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
^^this, i'd find another dealer. Unless they denied you because the car is modified in some way. Than you're on your own.
That's my thought. I wonder if the Roto-Fab intake is the reason for the warranty denial.

Remember, Al Oppenheimer said GM would honor the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties if you track your car as long as the car was stock.

He also said GM would know if you had a cold-air intake installed.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #13
BROCKgoFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
That's my thought. I wonder if the Roto-Fab intake is the reason for the warranty denial.

Remember, Al Oppenheimer said GM would honor the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties if you track your car as long as the car was stock.

He also said GM would know if you had a cold-air intake installed.
They said the car was fine with the intake and they denied it because a pulley is outside of the engine and because of that not considered powertrain warranty.

I called GM and they said that they would look into it. Then the dealer told me GM would warranty it but I have to buy the parts from the dealer at a cost of $700 after tax, oh and they are on backorder. I went home ordered the parts for $170 and they were delivered to my house in 3 days.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:28 AM   #14
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKgoFAST View Post
They said the car was fine with the intake and they denied it because a pulley is outside of the engine and because of that not considered powertrain warranty.

I called GM and they said that they would look into it. Then the dealer told me GM would warranty it but I have to buy the parts from the dealer at a cost of $700 after tax, oh and they are on backorder. I went home ordered the parts for $170 and they were delivered to my house in 3 days.
So your 3 year 36 k , expired? And you were hoping the power train warranty would pick up the fix.