Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-12-2024, 08:51 AM   #57
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
my onstar has been physically disabled from remote communication since 2016.

I'd say some of us told you so then. but well.. told you so. nothing that's sold non optionally that collects data and provides you with no way to turn it off is for your good. so why let them leach on your property making money off you and give nothing in return but higher insurance?

disable it. it's a complete waste.
Yep. Feels good to have my 100% distrust and loathing for Onstar be 100% validated. What are the Onstar apologists gonna say now, LOL
Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 AM   #58
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
my onstar has been physically disabled from remote communication since 2016.

I'd say some of us told you so then. but well.. told you so. nothing that's sold non optionally that collects data and provides you with no way to turn it off is for your good. so why let them leach on your property making money off you and give nothing in return but higher insurance?

disable it. it's a complete waste.
On the newer cars you lose the mic function for talking to the car (like telling it to play a song or make a call). One user reported that people said he is hard to hear on calls after taking the onstar unit out.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:11 AM   #59
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
On the newer cars you lose the mic function for talking to the car (like telling it to play a song or make a call). One user reported that people said he is hard to hear on calls after taking the onstar unit out.
It’s possible they took out the wrong board? As I understand the instructions the you are only removing the transceiver board, which is the board that transmits and receives the signal from the antenna on the roof. It might disrupt the compass in the dashboard if it uses satellite triangulation instead of old fashioned magnetic technology but it should not affect any other function of the infotainment system.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:30 PM   #60
MattZ

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS - Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
when I took delivery, I signed an OnStar opt out form.
does this mean I'm automatically not enrolled in the smart driver
spy program ???

my account in Chevy .com verifies I'm presently not enrolled in OnStar.
I never opted in to smart driver and I specifically checked a few months ago after buying my Camaro and it was NOT active. I just updated the myChevy app today and noticed a reference in there about smart driver and it was ENABLED on both the 2023 Camaro and also the 2024 Sierra I just purchased last week. So clearly something or someone enabled it for the Camaro and the Sierra but it wasn't me! I have opted out of both now and will be checking again in the future for any unauthorized changes.
MattZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #61
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I think the guy with the band-pass filter on the output was really on to something, but just determining the bands which need to be passed / blocked.

I might just try a 50 ohm terminator on the antenna port, and see how that works out. I really do not want to disable my Bluetooth mic as I routinely talk to clients / family in the car.

I'll probably be way more interested in tinkering around with this if I actually secure a ZL1.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:24 PM   #62
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
I think the guy with the band-pass filter on the output was really on to something, but just determining the bands which need to be passed / blocked.

I might just try a 50 ohm terminator on the antenna port, and see how that works out. I really do not want to disable my Bluetooth mic as I routinely talk to clients / family in the car.

I'll probably be way more interested in tinkering around with this if I actually secure a ZL1.
Now that I have my ZL1-1LE, I have ordered some new filters in an attempt to pick back up on that project

17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:14 PM   #63
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
Now that I have my ZL1-1LE, I have ordered some new filters in an attempt to pick back up on that project
<pic snip>
Nice!

Can't wait to see the results... I think you're on the right track.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:38 PM   #64
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Maybe I'm completely missing it, but those pages say you're only allowed to opt out of the data collection, If you live in one of a few states.

"If you are a resident of California, Connecticut, Colorado, New Jersey, Nevada, Utah, or Virginia, in some circumstances you may be able to request to opt-out of your personal information being sold to third parties."

To me that says they have no obligation to honor your request unless you meet the requirements and live in the specific states
Old 03-14-2024, 02:30 PM   #65
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Nice!

Can't wait to see the results... I think you're on the right track.
The bandpass filters perform the same as the other thread, GPS is lost on the NAV, compass goes into CAL mode and speed limit icon on dash is lost.

I am working on a few other angles have a few other parts on order to see if the other items can be retained.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:08 AM   #66
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
The bandpass filters perform the same as the other thread, GPS is lost on the NAV, compass goes into CAL mode and speed limit icon on dash is lost.

I am working on a few other angles have a few other parts on order to see if the other items can be retained.
Damn.

I'm an RF EE (product & test) at a Fortune 500 company, I work closely with a lot of RF design guys and one of them in a huge car guy. If I remember I'll pick his brain on Monday if I remember. He loves digging into stuff and figuring out how it works.

I don't have my car yet, but this is pretty high on my list of things to 'fix'.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко