Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
RedConvertible

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Exclamation Problem with after market headlights

I have a 2011 SS Convertible. I'm on the second set of after market headlights after a collision because my insurance won't pay for OEM. And they light from the headlights is super weird and I can't see 15 feet past my car on a dark road. The 1st set were the exact same way. Has anyone experienced this or seen it before?
Attached Images

RedConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
MattMDR

Drives: 2014 2LS RRM
Could the alignment of the headlights been disturbed in the collision? Go back to the repairer and tell them about the problem.
MattMDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
RedConvertible

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Oh, believe me I have. They replaced pretty much the whole front end, including the entire headlight housing. This isn't just bulbs. This is the 2nd set of the whole headlight buckets that have been like this. There is a funky little piece of metal inside the headlight that I can see that is shaped just like that weird shadow. And my boyfriend tried adjusting them probably 6 times, and the shop has twice. Unless you are talking about something else?
RedConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
When I was an Insurance adjuster I ran into this problem several times. The insurance
company must use LKQ (like, kind, and Quality) parts to repair your car. I'm surprised
your repairer has not called the insurance company to now replace these lamps again
with new OEM lamps. Aftermarket headlamps are not as good as your factory lamps. If
your repairer will not do this for you, you should call the insurance company EVERY DAY
until they make you whole again.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
^^^^ This for sure!! They need to make it right. It is a safety issue for you now !! Tell them that as well. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
What brand are these? The aftermarket TYC lights are pretty decent, but it could also just be that the lights require adjustment. Almost no headlight installed will be adjusted correctly out of the box.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I hate to ask since I’m sure you checked but do you have the bulbs properly seated? Also what brand of bulbs are they?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
So this is what happens when the projector is not aimed properly. Park the car on level ground in front of a wall (at least 25' away ideally if possible). Measure the how high the center of the projector is off of the ground, mark that same distance on the wall in front of you. Turn on headlights and adjust the LOW portion of that "z" pattern to the height you marked on the wall. If the adjuster screw does not bring the light up far enough then the headlight is garbage or there is structural damage in the front end angling the headlights down. This is not a bulb issue, it's the projector itself projecting the light too low. It's just a focal lens, akin to pointing a laser pointer.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote