Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Camaro suspeticle to windshield cracks?

Back in Novemeber I had a dump truck fling a rock off and crack my windshield, had to be replaced. Last week I got another small chip that was fixed with epoxy, and now today I got another larger chip/crack that should be able to be filled in with epoxy...

So in the past 4 months basically I've had 3 instances of a rock causing my windshield to have to be repaired or replaced. I asked the glass shop this morning if they tend to see more cars vs. trucks, they said they see a lot of both but that the Camaro seems to be pretty common compared to other cars when you account for number of Camaros on the road.

Has anyone else had this problem? I started a new job in October and am on the highway a lot more than I was previously. That obviously is contributing, but it seems like the windshield just can't take a hit from a rock without cracking. My replacement windshield is a Pilkingtom which I believe makes OEM glass for GM, it's not like I got some cheap glass to my knowledge.

Seems like I might as well get something with a better windshield for commuting and keep the Z out of harms way. At the rate I'm going I'll spend less on a second car payment (hopefully with a better windshield!) than on windshield replacements.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Elanore

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Silver
Yep had 3 chips and had them all filled 2 weeks later it cracked. Replaced it with OEM windshield and 4 months later I got another chip...absolutely sucks!!!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Deathstroke0571

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
Back in Novemeber I had a dump truck fling a rock off and crack my windshield, had to be replaced. Last week I got another small chip that was fixed with epoxy, and now today I got another larger chip/crack that should be able to be filled in with epoxy...

So in the past 4 months basically I've had 3 instances of a rock causing my windshield to have to be repaired or replaced. I asked the glass shop this morning if they tend to see more cars vs. trucks, they said they see a lot of both but that the Camaro seems to be pretty common compared to other cars when you account for number of Camaros on the road.

Has anyone else had this problem? I started a new job in October and am on the highway a lot more than I was previously. That obviously is contributing, but it seems like the windshield just can't take a hit from a rock without cracking. My replacement windshield is a Pilkingtom which I believe makes OEM glass for GM, it's not like I got some cheap glass to my knowledge.

Seems like I might as well get something with a better windshield for commuting and keep the Z out of harms way. At the rate I'm going I'll spend less on a second car payment (hopefully with a better windshield!) than on windshield replacements.
Ive had the car for 5 months and already replaced the windshield, because a scratch showed up across the windshield. (even though i keep it in a personal garage).
Deathstroke0571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
I drove a few different cars over three years they were working on the freeway. Averaged about 3-4 rock chips per year. After construction was complete, not much, maybe one every two years.

Got my Camaro in January and just got a rock chip filled that I got last week.

Any construction on your route?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
and if you stay back a decent amount of space behind the vehicle in front of you some ahole squeezes in between.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
I have 17k miles and 0 issues but I see other people complaining on here sometimes so Im not sure. NY doesnt seem like it would be better than any other places for not having windshield cracks either
Old 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Cadillacdayz

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
and if you stay back a decent amount of space behind the vehicle in front of you some ahole squeezes in between.
You nailed it bro gotta hang back a little . Kinda hard to do in a Camaro ..

The guy in front of you that changes over 3 lanes haulin balls ,is the one who throw the most rocks.. they hit all the non hi traffic parts of the road when changing lanes. that's where the rock gravitate to.

Something to think about ....How many windshield do aggressive Camaro drivers bust?

I chilled out after claiming my almost 900.00 Oem glass. Both hanging back and busting out changing multiple lanes. I don't want to bust someone's windshield. especially if they are already having a bad day...It's always my worst day when it happens to me .
Old 03-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Raised lane dividers.

The horrendous one on the car pool lane is a good example. Someone crossing over in front of me hits those little bumps and it cleans their tires off, right on to my windshield. That's what caused the chip in the windshield last week.

Hard to be mad at the driver, because you know they are special and have a passenger... so they cut right through your lane to get to the HOV lane.

If you can't SEE a different lane you probably shouldn't be driving.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
All depends on your luck I think. Had mine crack and didn't replace for awhile because my other vehicles I go through about 1 every 6 months, (yes, I drive that much). Finally replaced it and so far so good.
Nothing wrong with the windshield, just circumstances.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
last Camaro cruise last year the guy in front Goodyears + a tiny chip it ran across window but is below my heads up so I am leaving it for now...
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I drove a few different cars over three years they were working on the freeway. Averaged about 3-4 rock chips per year. After construction was complete, not much, maybe one every two years.

Got my Camaro in January and just got a rock chip filled that I got last week.

Any construction on your route?
Not really, and any that is is behind a barrier.

Two of the three times I got my chips/cracks were no where near a construction zone. The third time I'm not even sure where it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillacdayz View Post
You nailed it bro gotta hang back a little . Kinda hard to do in a Camaro ..

The guy in front of you that changes over 3 lanes haulin balls ,is the one who throw the most rocks.. they hit all the non hi traffic parts of the road when changing lanes. that's where the rock gravitate to.

Something to think about ....How many windshield do aggressive Camaro drivers bust?

I chilled out after claiming my almost 900.00 Oem glass. Both hanging back and busting out changing multiple lanes. I don't want to bust someone's windshield. especially if they are already having a bad day...It's always my worst day when it happens to me .
This is a good point that I never really thought about. Typically I try to leave plenty of room in front of me, but doing so probably makes it more likely to get a chip because of what you described when changing lanes.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
susceptible .......... is a thought about any part when it comes to damage..my last car a triple black 2ss/rs 11 vert had a dent on the hood from a pitched piece of gravel on a upgrade on ramp that pissed me off.......
Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My Camaro windshield has thousands of very small tiny chips. It looks like
it's been sandblasted. I've never had this problem with the dozens of other
cars I've owned. You can't really see them except when cleaning the glass.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #14

Drives: 2013 2ss rs summit white
were drivin camaros ... how do you get a stone chip when everyone is behind you
1320 is offline   Reply With Quote