Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #29
Skyset

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Yeah that cars done mun
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #30
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hard to tell if it's totaled or not! Only after the shop starts tearing it down to see what the damages are you won't know. Ultimately, it's up to the insurance company what they will do with the car either total or repair. I had a head on accident with my SS 6 months after I bought it and when all repairs were done it was over $18,000. The car drives the same and I'm glad it wasn't a total loss. Yours looks good with all the mods done and that Summit White too! My idea is if it's repaired then take the monetary value loss and trade it in on the ZL1. I know it's hard to swallow but that's the way things go these days. Good luck and yes I wish the rain would let up here in Georgia too!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #31
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Hard to tell if it's totaled or not! Only after the shop starts tearing it down to see what the damages are you won't know. Ultimately, it's up to the insurance company what they will do with the car either total or repair. I had a head on accident with my SS 6 months after I bought it and when all repairs were done it was over $18,000. The car drives the same and I'm glad it wasn't a total loss. Yours looks good with all the mods done and that Summit White too! My idea is if it's repaired then take the monetary value loss and trade it in on the ZL1. I know it's hard to swallow but that's the way things go these days. Good luck and yes I wish the rain would let up here in Georgia too!
Good points. I would think that the reason why they didn't write your situation as a total loss, is possibly because your '16 didn't depreciate enough yet? I've had mine for 2 years, and you had yours for 6 months at the time of accident. Thank you for the well wishes.
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #32
edillen1

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS
Really, the only thing you can do is wait and see. Sure you can hire an attorney, out of your pocket.
edillen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #33
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickracenLS3 View Post
The $30k value sounds spot on, but damage definitely looks like its more then $13.5k, I assume there will be a lot of hidden damage and they cant quote it until its torn apart. So 70%, you need it to get to $21k, have another independent bodyshop do an estimate on it.
Agree with this assessment. They need to get into it a little more and see the total amount of damage. It's very difficult to assess without looking at the car in person. Replacement parts and labor are outrageously expensive- labor alone is about $150 an hour for average body shop.

If it were a 4 cylinder or V6 it would be totaled as the value would be only 18K.

Better hope it's totaled as I am sure you know the value is a lot less if it's repaired after a collision. You may want to push that issue and challenge the "value" after it is repaired- which may be only 25K.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #34
Hot2016Red

Drives: 2016 2SS
This is a very interesting question. I had a similar situation many years ago with a vehicle that my daughter was driving and she basically lost control on an icy road and hit a tree. The insurance company sent the adjuster. His estimate said that it could be repaired without totaling the vehicle out. I didn’t want they vehicle after the accident. I did not think it would ever go down the road straight again because of the front end damage. I called the body shop and explained my concern. He said he would have to do a “tear down” to see how much additional internal damage was done. I had to contact the insurance company to authorize the “tear down” before it could be considered “totaled”. The insurance company agreed and the body shop called me several days later and called it a “dead soldier”. Too much internal damage that the adjuster could not see on his initial damage estimate. GET A TEAR DOWN. Then see where things shake out.
Hot2016Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 AM   #35
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Someone on here posted a video of a Camaro spinning out on the highway in the rain. Ever since then I drive really slow in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw that video, that guys tires were damn near bald from all his burnouts he did on video.

I drive my 16' SS in the rain here often in Oregon where it rains all the time and my BFG Comp 2's do just fine in the rain.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:19 AM   #36
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I personally believe thats totaled.. and I personally would seek taking it to my own trusted body shop. Insurance contract body shops they know can get the job done as cheaply as possible while maintaining a certain standard of reliability. They are in it to save money and if they can rubber band the car back together and call it drive-able instead of buying you a whole new car, they're going to do that. but there is absolutely no way I would ever want to trust and drive a 455 HP car that was at one time in that condition.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 AM   #37
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrist5683 View Post
I will have to verify, but from what I've heard, I can't claim diminished value since I'm technically 'at fault' for the accident. I've already brought it up to my insurance agency.

My insurance guy is saying that my value after repair will go from 30k to 25k, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Especially if I'm trading into a dealership.
Didn't read all posts though first thing is glad you are OK ��. Similar experience some years ago no one will likely even want to take as a trade. Repairs will be easy to spot and will hit car fax given insurance claim.

My Z in sig was hit. Got it totaled. Damage didn't appear as bad as yours. Got retail plus TTL plus 80% of mods back (every reciept). Insurance situation was a bit different but I'd kep working it. You'll hav something worth fAr less and no one will want it.

Last edited by Chris C 1SS 1LE; 02-16-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Correction
Chris C 1SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #38
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Good to hear your'e alright, I've hydro-planed twice in my pony cars, that looks like a total loss to me. Let the body shop get into it. Water channels into the "Lane" we usually drive in, so you must learn to drive a different line, out of the water channels. It gets "hairy" in heavy hwy driving when it pours. Sometimes we just have to slow down or pull off the hwy. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #39
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally believe thats totaled.. and I personally would seek taking it to my own trusted body shop. Insurance contract body shops they know can get the job done as cheaply as possible while maintaining a certain standard of reliability. They are in it to save money and if they can rubber band the car back together and call it drive-able instead of buying you a whole new car, they're going to do that. but there is absolutely no way I would ever want to trust and drive a 455 HP car that was at one time in that condition.
The shop that's currently storing it is a Gieco approved shop, and they have an adjuster (not the one assigned to me) that works there. If they don't write it up as a total loss, I'll take it to a few other places.
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #40
ltcol_king

Drives: 17' 2SS
My 17 2SS had similar damage and was declared a total loss last week. My appraiser said there are two ways to get to totaled. One is 70% of fair market value in damages like your guy told you. However, the other method which yielded positive results for me is if the estimated damages plus the salvage value of the car yield fair market value, it can be totaled. My Camaro had $19K in visible damages, $2K in estimated hidden damages, and a $17K salvage value. Fair market value was $38K. Consequently, they totaled it. Spend $21K to repair, or give me $38K and sell it for $17K. Either way, they are out $21K. You may want ask about this alternate process. Good luck!
ltcol_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #41
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
I would take the insurance money and run
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #42
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
20k on your original tires??????