Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #15
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
How do you guys feel about putting this ceramic coating all over your paint? Isn't it very hard to remove if need be ? I don't like the idea.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #16
Bill_76

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2018
I paid for light paint correction plus ceramic pro with two coats, wheels, calipers and glass coated $1,800 for my brand new ZL1.

Then for my mustang gt with more paint corrrection, but using sb3 coating in paint, wheels and calipers $1,000 but normaly costs $1,300 (discount for second car).
Bill_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
How do you guys feel about putting this ceramic coating all over your paint? Isn't it very hard to remove if need be ? I don't like the idea.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
you don’t know much about it , but you don’t like the idea?

Ceramic comes off with polishing.....not a problem......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Then you have to figure out how many hours he’s going to take to do the job to put correct the paint. New car should not need more than eight hours of polishing, so what is labor rate? $75? So it’s 8×75+300. That 900.... For the paint.
Glen,

Curious what really needs to be done to a brand new car before you apply? Thinking of trying it to see how it really holds up before I start offering it to my customers.

Thanks, Pat
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #19
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
Glen,

Curious what really needs to be done to a brand new car before you apply? Thinking of trying it to see how it really holds up before I start offering it to my customers.

Thanks, Pat
Only with the close inspection can you tell if it needs a lot or little paint correction. If the paint looks good to you, that’s all that matters!!You can tell right away if the detailer is ripping you off if you call him and he gives you a number right off the top of his head like $2000. What he should be saying is “bring the car in and let me look at it and then I can tell you how much correction is needed before I apply the coating”......

makes sense right? This is why you can’t just “call around and get pricing”. You need to “drive around and get pricing”.....
Old 10-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Fanatic View Post
I'm having film done and SB3 coating for $3,400. Also having 2 layer windshield protection done for $300 and interior done for another $400. I'm probably going over-board, but plan on tracking car and want to have good protection.
$3400! Wow!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #21
activepat

Quote:
Only with the close inspection can you tell if it needs a lot or little paint correction. If the paint looks good to you, that’s all that matters!!You can tell right away if the detailer is ripping you off if you call him and he gives you a number right off the top of his head like $2000. What he should be saying is “bring the car in and let me look at it and then I can tell you how much correction is needed before I apply the coating”......

makes sense right? This is why you can’t just “call around and get pricing”. You need to “drive around and get pricing”.....
Glen, it's Pat from B & R. Not sure if you knew that. Sorry to say I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff and I know you have used it.

So I just picked up my new ZL1 and paint looks perfect so thought I would give it a try.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #22
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
Glen, it's Pat from B & R. Not sure if you knew that. Sorry to say I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff and I know you have used it.

So I just picked up my new ZL1 and paint looks perfect so thought I would give it a try.
Patrick! I sent you something a couple weeks ago to the Active Thunder email, didn’t get anything back I assumed you were not servicing that address anymore. I need to stop by and see you ......just got a new motorcycle , I need some advice.... I’ll see you this week… And yeah, you’re on the right track, you can totally do this in an afternoon if your paint in good shape. Probably just a quick finishing polish first and then slap it on, what days are you working this week?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #23
activepat

Quote:
Patrick! I sent you something a couple weeks ago to the Active Thunder email, didn’t get anything back I assumed you were not servicing that address anymore. I need to stop by and see you ......just got a new motorcycle , I need some advice.... I’ll see you this week… And yeah, you’re on the right track, you can totally do this in an afternoon if your paint in good shape. Probably just a quick finishing polish first and then slap it on, what days are you working this week?
Must gone to spam. Let me check and fix it. Everyday we are working as usual! Gotta pay for the new toy. Ride the bike by!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #24
Glen e

Probably see you Tuesday… Did you sell the mustang?

Damn… that was the nicest looking Mustang I’ve ever seen…
Old 10-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #25
Bill_76

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2018
Ceramic pro:

SB3:

Bill_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #26
Mr Wright

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Black M6
awesome guys, i'm just gonna do it myself then. i know how to do it all, the paint won't need much correction, and ill just doc quartz and save all the money. much appreciated!
Mr Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #27
franksredhot

Drives: 2016 Red Hot Camaro 1SS A8
I'm interested in doing a coating myself. Besides paint correction, I thought stripping everything off the car (including old wax and sealants) is the hard part. Do I need to use a machine to strip the car down? I've had my car for 1.5 years and I feel like I can't buff any small scratches by hand. Seems like the finish is so hard, was wondering if the dealer had coated the car before I bought it.
franksredhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #28
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
I'm interested in doing a coating myself. Besides paint correction, I thought stripping everything off the car (including old wax and sealants) is the hard part. Do I need to use a machine to strip the car down? I've had my car for 1.5 years and I feel like I can't buff any small scratches by hand. Seems like the finish is so hard, was wondering if the dealer had coated the car before I bought it.
Stripping stuff off the car is simple ...Dawn dishwashing detergent and alcohol and water wipewill do it. But I think you are confusing with polishing. Polishing With an orbital is all you need to do depending on how much scratches you have. The dealer did not coat the car, guaranteed. Start watching YouTube videos on how to put on a coating and polishing the car.