Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Arynthian

Drives: White 2017 1SS
Think i goofed

Had the car for a week and decided to finally wash it. Well ive went with old habits and used a magic eraser with dish soap for the black rally stripes. Well the first one i did it on, i pushed down probably a bit harder than i should have. The other looks great because i just brushed over them. Long story short what can i do to fix this? it is killing me to see it but i would like to get it fixed. Some sort of shampoo? I read something about a white vinegar method?
[/IMG]
Arynthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
polish/paint correction, and wax. Should be ok bud, but you will have to get those fins scratches polished out.

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A magic eraser should get no where near a gloss surface. It has the equivalency to 3600 wet dry sandpaper. You can try and polish with Meguires 205, it might be ok......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
steel

Drives: 2017 ss camaro 6.2L
It is alright. Leave it alone or you will make it worse.
steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
It is alright. Leave it alone or you will make it worse.
I 2nd that. Find a good mobile detail guy (yelp or wing it and go Craigslist). For 100=150 they will wash, wax and buff out most anything.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Arynthian

Appreciate it guys, Kind of high hoping for the sun/rain to pull it out or maybe its worse than what i thought and it wont look as bad tomorrow when i get up.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I agree... Meguiars 205 or HD Polish. Take it to a professional... someone who specializes in paint correction. NOT a body shop.
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
ZXCamaro
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
A magic eraser should get no where near a gloss surface. It has the equivalency to 3600 wet dry sandpaper. You can try and polish with Meguires 205, it might be ok......
FYI 3000 grit sand paper used for wet sanding has the abrasive level of a piece of notebook paper. You are ok with that. The worst it could do would be a very minor scuff you could easily rub out by hand with some polish.
ZXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXCamaro View Post
FYI 3000 grit sand paper used for wet sanding has the abrasive level of a piece of notebook paper. You are ok with that. The worst it could do would be a very minor scuff you could easily rub out by hand with some polish.
I disagree, I use 3000 grit to wet sand orange peel. This is 3000 ....certainly is not "notebook"....if you wipe with a magic eraser, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's the people that use them to scrub a gloss surface that have a problem. Boaters learned that on gelcoat a long time ago.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
ZXCamaro
Banned

Quote:
I disagree, I use 3000 grit to wet sand orange peel. This is 3000 ....certainly is not "notebook"....if you wipe with a magic eraser, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's the people that use them to scrub a gloss surface that have a problem. Boaters learned that on gelcoat a long time ago.
That my friend is NOT 3000. 2000 would get you that result. If you used a DA sander with 3000 and you used a solid backing plate, then MAYBE I could see that. And in this case magic eraser is NO WHERE NEAR as abrasive as a 3000 grit dry sanded or even wet sanded with a DA sander...
Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Glen e

It is 3000, about 2 hours worth of sanding. 3000 is all I own.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
ZXCamaro
Banned

Quote:
It is 3000, about 2 hours worth of sanding. 3000 is all I own.
If you slaved over that by hand with 3000, you might as well start building a bridge with tooth picks. You can get those same results in a 8th of the time with 2000. I understand about taking your time and making sure you dont break through, but man thats alot of unnecessary work. There are microfiber cutting pads that can flatten out orange peel without even sanding. If you were going to go as far as you did, then I would have started with 2000 and then jumped right to a MF cutting pad. Then you could go with an orange pad and some 205 to make it shine.

I guess in car detailing, there are many streets that can lead you to the same destination. But I value my time over anything else. Spending another couple of hours in the garage these days is not appealing to me. But nice job nonetheless.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
Arynthian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
I agree... Meguiars 205 or HD Polish. Take it to a professional... someone who specializes in paint correction. NOT a body shop.
I looked this morning before leaving for work didn't see them but I think it was because I had dew on the car. If I get home and see they are gone it's a miracle! I just rubbed over the other rally stripes with the eraser and they look great but this one not so much! Appreciate the feedback, my dad can buff/wax pretty good.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I've got them on my ride but it's black and I'm not going to even attempt it. But she is getting ceramic coated this weekend and will cure in the garage for a week. Cured ceramic orange peel is what I'll have.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote