Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-11-2023, 05:56 AM   #15
79 TransAm that never was

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 6.2 MT6
Give them and inch and they'll take a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Looks like it gives the govt. power to shut down your vehicle at will....probably cops too. Howya like me now?

https://thenewamerican.com/news/rep-...tch-law-fails/

I remember when they told us that seat belt laws would never be used to pull over drivers as a "primary" offense. I didn't believe it for a minute. Once instituted what did we see next? Seat belt check points and seat belt laws being enforced as primary offenses.

This is another attempt to hoodwink the public with the lie that it'll only be used on suspected drunken drivers. YEA, RIGHT!
Once instituted, the feds will have the ability to shut down your vehicle for any reason it deems a violation.
Using too much gas and driving too far? Shut it down.
Driving to a Trump rally? Shut it down.
Didn't pay for this years registration? Shut it down.
Don't have insurance? Shut it down.

And on and on it goes.
Give them an inch and they'll always take a mile!
79 TransAm that never was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:41 AM   #16
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I hear you guys about civil liberties, but before you go into "government intentionally taking away your civil liberties," try reading this brief piece of history that explains the origin of "seat belt laws." https://www.history.com/news/seat-belt-laws-resistance

You will clearly see that the push for seat belt laws was a trojan horse bill in the 1980s to give the auto industry a hidden free pass on having to install more expensive safety equipment (automatic seat belts and airbags that the NTSB was pushing for in order to save lives). And...... the bill was introduced by the republicans (I too am a Regan fan), not the democrats like you would have expected.

So one of your examples was indeed a conspiracy, but not foremost to take away your liberties (just to pass on economic benefits to industry).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:27 AM   #17
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Here is the the legislation, seems pretty broad the wording.. do you trust gov't to limit it in any way, protect your privacy ? What is the definition of impaired? The system will have to monitor your driving constantly, where does that data get stored? If you go to fast or too slow would the car decide you must be impaired? No doubt some kind of a restriction or kill switch is intended should the vehicle software decide you are "impaired".
Attached Images

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 11-11-2023 at 10:44 AM.
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #18
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Is it too late to invest in tin foil stock?
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:47 AM   #19
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Funny how much confidence and trust people have in the government, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
They lack perspective, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
Is it too late to invest in tin foil stock?
Oh, and they also think somehow this is what's funny.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I can identify with 100% accuracy, determine what "may be." I can also identify at the exact same time with 100% accuracy, determine what "may not be."

Either way, I -- your friendly bullshit words-lawyering legislative staff writer -- win because I say "may be" in my new law, so I get to make up whatever the fcuk I want "may be" to mean.

Reasonable conjecture: behind the scenes, they're hoping for "may be" to be deemed equivalent to "reasonable suspicion" as determined by ... yep, you guessed it:

Artificial Intelligence. They were too chicken sh!t to put the actual words in the law. The quality of people we put in congress has never mattered more than it does right now.

NHTSA was given 3 years to create a new standard for this "advanced" technology. So far it looks like they're only going to get through standards for punitive equipment plug-ins (breathalyzers, touchalyzers, etc.) by that time. https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...y_07-17-23.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by Gunkk; 11-11-2023 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added NHTSA report
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:44 AM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
For more perspective, we have mandatory back up cameras in our cars because (and my memory may be bad on this) 6 or so children a year were killed by a car backing up.

Drunk driving? Half of all fatalities in automobiles (and motorcycles) are due to drunk driving. That's just the fatalities, not accidents or injuries. That's around 20,000 deaths give or take. So in the spirit of "hey we gotta do something about that", we get this.

So in the spirit of California, legislate it and they will come.

NHTSA will come up with a standard and it will go out to the industry for comment like they all do and then those replies will be reviewed and a new requirement may or may not come to be.

Have to agree, if you could keep drunks off the road we would all be better. So if you agree with that, how would you go about it? In Sweden, I believe one offense you lose your drivers license. When in business meetings if they plan to drink, they will get a room for the night.

But for the most part, this technology exists and is in use today. But it's generally optional and if you don't want to use ADAS features you don't have to turn it on.

We shall see how this plays out.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:00 PM   #22
02WhiteWs6

Drives: 2024 LT1 Convertible
I have a feeling i'll have to go get my wife several time a week from the side of the road. Hopefully there several different setting you can use.
02WhiteWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:21 PM   #23
SamSmoothCastel

Drives: 67 Orange Mustang Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I hear you guys about civil liberties, but before you go into "government intentionally taking away your civil liberties," try reading this brief piece of history that explains the origin of "seat belt laws." https://www.history.com/news/seat-belt-laws-resistance

You will clearly see that the push for seat belt laws was a trojan horse bill in the 1980s to give the auto industry a hidden free pass on having to install more expensive safety equipment (automatic seat belts and airbags that the NTSB was pushing for in order to save lives). And...... the bill was introduced by the republicans (I too am a Regan fan), not the democrats like you would have expected.

So one of your examples was indeed a conspiracy, but not foremost to take away your liberties (just to pass on economic benefits to industry).
You mean the same administration that funded the drug pipeline from colombia? remember kids, just say no to drugs......
SamSmoothCastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:37 PM   #24
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post

I remember when they told us that seat belt laws would never be used to pull over drivers as a "primary" offense. I didn't believe it for a minute. Once instituted what did we see next? Seat belt check points and seat belt laws being enforced as primary offenses.

This is another attempt to hoodwink the public with the lie that it'll only be used on suspected drunken drivers. YEA, RIGHT!
Once instituted, the feds will have the ability to shut down your vehicle for any reason it deems a violation.

And on and on it goes.
EXACTLY!!! Within about 5 years in Illinois, it was a primary offense and my ex wife was even pulled over once before that and ordered to put it on.

I still dont wear my seatbelt when I'm on my time. Sure, I pull it over my shoulder when the cops are around. I even keep it partially inserted in the buckle if I think I might be pulled over so I can click it if need be. My friends have given me grief about this for 30 years or more. I usually hear " wouldnt it be easier to just wear it?" LOL! Others have told me much much worse.

I wear it at the race track and I wear it when I'm driving on company time.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 01:34 PM   #25
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
https://thenewamerican.com/news/rep-...tch-law-fails/

And on and on it goes.

You be truthing.

A few years ago a cop was just sitting there pulling peeps over as they left the shopping center for not wearing the seatbelt.

Last edited by MyNameIs; 11-12-2023 at 01:37 PM. Reason: ff
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:15 AM   #26
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Old 11-13-2023, 04:33 PM   #27
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
I guess another felony for me when I disable it.
Hopefully it’s as easy as the start/stop switch and not internally in the pcm.
And I guess we’re all blessed to now pay for this bit of tech in the msrp.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:32 PM   #28
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Dumbasses voting again something they didn't read. What a bunch fup uckers!