Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So much for any hint of inexpensive or affordable EVs.

The supposed cost and price savings we were once promised due to ease of assembly (less labor intensive), simpler and fewer platforms, gradual better and less costly batteries, simpler and fewer components like no emissions systems, no exhaust system, no cooling systems etc., no elaborate govt certifications and testing required....All those supposed savings that would have made this EV transition affordable and more painlessly acceptable are evaporating and will likely never be realized.

The workers want their "fair share". paid for by the customer. Gm wants its profits. All bad news for the consumer. Rather than demand huge percentage of wage increases to supposedly counter over-all inflation, the membership needs to look at why such terrible inflation exists...(which of course is all political and policy causes)...

I've given up hope for the U.S. economy and manufacturing. I hope Japan or Korea fill the void for competition and affordability. The entitled and counter-productive demands of unions and U.S. corporations and current administration government policies deserve zero sympathy or support.

The hand-basket to hell is almost full.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #16
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So much for any hint of inexpensive or affordable EVs.

The supposed cost and price savings we were once promised due to ease of assembly (less labor intensive), simpler and fewer platforms, gradual better and less costly batteries, simpler and fewer components like no emissions systems, no exhaust system, no cooling systems etc., no elaborate govt certifications and testing required....All those supposed savings that would have made this EV transition affordable and more painlessly acceptable are evaporating and will likely never be realized.

The workers want their "fair share". paid for by the customer. Gm wants its profits. All bad news for the consumer. Rather than demand huge percentage of wage increases to supposedly counter over-all inflation, the membership needs to look at why such terrible inflation exists...(which of course is all political and policy causes)...

I've given up hope for the U.S. economy and manufacturing. I hope Japan or Korea fill the void for competition and affordability. The entitled and counter-productive demands of unions and U.S. corporations and current administration government policies deserve zero sympathy or support.

The hand-basket to hell is almost full.
Darn those workers for wanting their share of the profits their labor creates instead of donating their labor as I'm sure you did.

Darn GM for being a for profit company. If only they could be made to see the benefits to the public if they became a non profit.

And especially darn the fact that there's no one other the customers to pay for these things.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #17

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
Darn those workers for wanting their share of the profits their labor creates instead of donating their labor as I'm sure you did.

Darn GM for being a for profit company. If only they could be made to see the benefits to the public if they became a non profit.

And especially darn the fact that there's no one other the customers to pay for these things.
By wanting more compensation for having to do less, is hardly donating anything, or any kind of fair share.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:20 PM   #18
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
By wanting more compensation for having to do less, is hardly donating anything, or any kind of fair share.
They have been doing more and more for less and less for some time now. Everytime they try to get some of it back the companies scream "it'll bankrupt us" yada, yada.

Collective bargaining ain't pretty but it's all those people have and it is certainly the only thing those companies respond to.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:44 PM   #19
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
China is going to feed us our lunch on this EV shift, and they couldn't give a damn about climate. We are such dumb bunnies, and will figure it out too late..
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:30 PM   #20
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
I wish my work union was UAW so I can complain I build $90,000 cars and can't afford to buy one, but I'm government and we cannot legally strike.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #21
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
They probably won't shut down Grand River (where the Camaro is made) unless they go 100% on strike. In December, GM is going to have to move many of the workers out of there anyway when Camaro production ends Dec 7, 2023. But, you never know with Union, I guess.

Last edited by The Zebra; 10-02-2023 at 02:20 AM.
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 07:28 PM   #22
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
They probably won't shut down Grand River (where the Camaro is made) unless they go 100% on strike. In December, GM is going to have to move many of the workers out of there anyway when Camaro production ends Dec 12. But, you never know with Union, I guess.
They will still be building Cadillacs on that line, so I think most or all the employees will stay there.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:42 PM   #23
The Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
They will still be building Cadillacs on that line, so I think most or all the employees will stay there.
What jobs on the Cadillac lines would all of those Camaro workers move to, are there hundred's of vacancies? The Camaro line isn't tooled to run Cadillacs, so they won't be building Cadillac's on the Camaro line. They are going to be re-tooling the Camaro line to assemble some 2025 Electric Vehicle (which is why they are ending Camaro production early).

Even so, the point remains the same. The Union would be 'helping' GM by absorbing all of those Camaro workers who are going to be displaced/reassigned soon and I doubt that the Union wants to do that. It seems unlikely that they will strike Grand River unless they go full on strike at all locations.

Last edited by The Zebra; 10-01-2023 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:27 AM   #24
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
What jobs on the Cadillac lines would all of those Camaro workers move to, are there hundred's of vacancies? The Camaro line isn't tooled to run Cadillacs, so they won't be building Cadillac's on the Camaro line. They are going to be re-tooling the Camaro line to assemble some 2025 Electric Vehicle (which is why they are ending Camaro production early).

Even so, the point remains the same. The Union would be 'helping' GM by absorbing all of those Camaro workers who are going to be displaced/reassigned soon and I doubt that the Union wants to do that. It seems unlikely that they will strike Grand River unless they go full on strike at all locations.
Apparently you haven’t been to the Grand River Plant. The Camaros and Cadillacs run down the same assembly line. Yes, I have been there. Maybe you should do a little more research before you make these fictional statements.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #25
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
They have been doing more and more for less and less for some time now. Everytime they try to get some of it back the companies scream "it'll bankrupt us" yada, yada.

Collective bargaining ain't pretty but it's all those people have and it is certainly the only thing those companies respond to.
Don't like your job? Do what the rest of us do and go get another one.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:45 AM   #26
The Zebra

Quote:
Apparently you haven’t been to the Grand River Plant. The Camaros and Cadillacs run down the same assembly line. Yes, I have been there. Maybe you should do a little more research before you make these fictional statements.
Leonard, i guess I was misinformed about them shutting down the Camaro line to re-tool it for some 2025 EV? Anyone know, why then are they shutting down the Camaro line so early? They just posted a Camaro promotional video on You Tube a few days ago.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:55 AM   #27
The Zebra

Quote:
Is there enough Cadillac demand to employ all of those Camaro workers?
Old 10-02-2023, 10:31 AM   #28
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Leonard, i guess I was misinformed about them shutting down the Camaro line to re-tool it for some 2025 EV? Anyone know, why then are they shutting down the Camaro line so early? They just posted a Camaro promotional video on You Tube a few days ago.

GM is D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y shutting down the Camaro line to prepare for the build of an EV SUV. I’m not sure if there has been any public disclosure as to which one and I’d prefer not to be the one to “break the news”, although if you look hard enough I think I may have already done that somewhere.

Granted it has been years since I’ve been in LGR, but I’ve been in enough vehicle assembly plants recently (Hamtramck, Orion) to know that in cases where multiple brands / nameplates are finished in the same plants, there are often multiple spurs or feeder sub-assembly lines that may all feed into the same final assembly / dyno test line. I don’t recall if this is the case for LGR but it would make sense. In that event, GM would be able to take the plant areas focused on Camaro sub-assembly, close them off, and start conversion to the CUV EV that is to come, while still building CT4 / CT5. Hamtramck (now converted to Factory Zero #1) had that exact same setup when they were building Impala, Lacrosse, and Volt simultaneously.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote