Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #71
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
A family member of mine has a 2015 C7 Z51 with the automatic 8 speed. Last track event I brought it to the track along with my ZL1, it was in the mid 90's outside and I was running 20 minute sessions in my ZL1. The first session in the C7 was only 15 minutes and I had zero issues. After about 45 minutes I did a 20 minute session in the C7 and the transmission overheated, causing the transmission to prematurely upshift despite me being in manual paddle shift mode the whole time. I'm assuming it was doing this to help cool & protect the transmission.

I was a bit surprised by this since the Z51 is supposed to be the "performance package" with the added cooling. Further more I have done extended stints in my A6 ZL1 well over 20 minute sessions in the same or hotter weather with zero transmission issues. The C7 was bone stock and my ZL1 is modified but no changing in the transmission cooling, so it should be seeing more abuse than stock. I will say, even with my ZL1 being upgraded with power, suspension, wheels and tires I preferred tracking the STOCK C7 Z51, up until the point that it overheated..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #72
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I would not be concerned at all. A little over 8600 Z06 models were sold in 2015 you are hearing about a couple cases throughout America of something major failing. 1% of that 8600 sold would be 86 cars. Are there 86 major failures out there? Remember the first Camaros that came out M6 had output shaft failures. Every manufacture will have an issue at some point
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #73
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2010SS View Post
I would not be concerned at all. A little over 8600 Z06 models were sold in 2015 you are hearing about a couple cases throughout America of something major failing. 1% of that 8600 sold would be 86 cars. Are there 86 major failures out there? Remember the first Camaros that came out M6 had output shaft failures. Every manufacture will have an issue at some point
The 8speed auto is not available at the chevy side in germany...manuals only.

Yesterday i had to refill my "valveprotect" fluid in the little hatchback and i suddenly thought about if this system could help DI engines not to collect oil debris from the crankcase at their inlet valves.
We use that system in europe especially in germany to protect the valves when using LPG.
I have now 63000km on it and valves are clean. Due to its dosing unit and sequential injection for each cylinder it works well with any engine size.
my 1,4ltr. needs 0,5ltr at about 5000km depending on average rpmīs you drove. For a V8 i suggest 2 canisters or a bigger one ,lol.
http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/produ...valvecare.html
this is the system which i use, was a bit cheaper but works well.
http://www.valve-protector.de/22.html

With LPG you have a relative similar problem at inlet valves because the gas is not wet, itīs ****ing dry and you can see that also at the spark plugs after a while, dry and seems like a bit rusty. This makes it easier for the oil particles from the crankcase to dirt up your inletvalves.
With spraying this mixture of oil/alcohol in the inlet ports and valve shafts the debris is washed away.

I saw a Ford Ecorusts and a AUDI TFSI at the inlet side, both were dirty and ****ing dry !

Last edited by Noob; 10-06-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #74
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
A family member of mine has a 2015 C7 Z51 with the automatic 8 speed. Last track event I brought it to the track along with my ZL1, it was in the mid 90's outside and I was running 20 minute sessions in my ZL1. The first session in the C7 was only 15 minutes and I had zero issues. After about 45 minutes I did a 20 minute session in the C7 and the transmission overheated, causing the transmission to prematurely upshift despite me being in manual paddle shift mode the whole time. I'm assuming it was doing this to help cool & protect the transmission.

I was a bit surprised by this since the Z51 is supposed to be the "performance package" with the added cooling. Further more I have done extended stints in my A6 ZL1 well over 20 minute sessions in the same or hotter weather with zero transmission issues. The C7 was bone stock and my ZL1 is modified but no changing in the transmission cooling, so it should be seeing more abuse than stock. I will say, even with my ZL1 being upgraded with power, suspension, wheels and tires I preferred tracking the STOCK C7 Z51, up until the point that it overheated..
There's a reason why GM recommends the M7 if you are serious about track work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2010SS View Post
And how many people who bought a Z06 push it as hard as Randy Pobst? I'm guessing fewer than 1%.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #75
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There's a reason why GM recommends the M7 if you are serious about track work.
I get that, but at the same time I'm tracking a 4,200+ pound, 580+ rwhp Camaro with an A6 transmission and have had zero issues. One would think that the new transmission would be more efficient and less prone to issues. It's clear the Corvette has issues getting enough air to the transmission.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #76
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I get that, but at the same time I'm tracking a 4,200+ pound, 580+ rwhp Camaro with an A6 transmission and have had zero issues. One would think that the new transmission would be more efficient and less prone to issues. It's clear the Corvette has issues getting enough air to the transmission.
Isn't the 8 speed about the same size as the 6 speed? Could be an issue with getting enough ATF around the gears to keep it all cool if it's too densely packaged.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #77
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Isn't the 8 speed about the same size as the 6 speed? Could be an issue with getting enough ATF around the gears to keep it all cool if it's too densely packaged.
More probable that packaging in the C7 is the issue. The ATS-V and CTS-V have not had any complaints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #78
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
More probable that packaging in the C7 is the issue. The ATS-V and CTS-V have not had any complaints.

To elaborate on your point, the transmission in the C7 is directly conected to the differenetial in the rear of the car with a shaft connecting the transmission to the engine. The Camaro will have a more tradional setup with the transmission directly connected to the engine and a shaft that connects the transmission to the differential. Some C7 folks have theorized that the exahaust is too close tot the trans in the C7. Also, the transmission cooler is completely different in the Camaro vs. the C7 as well.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #79
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
To elaborate on your point, the transmission in the C7 is directly conected to the differenetial in the rear of the car with a shaft connecting the transmission to the engine. The Camaro will have a more tradional setup with the transmission directly connected to the engine and a shaft that connects the transmission to the differential. Some C7 folks have theorized that the exahaust is too close tot the trans in the C7. Also, the transmission cooler is completely different in the Camaro vs. the C7 as well.
Exactly

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #80
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
as in this video i saw a ecoboost and a TFSI engine too.
It read only Toyota has a better system; they use DI and intake injection combined.
The oil separator in the GEn6 will only prevent the inlet valves for the oil out of the crankcase but not from leakage oil from the valveshafts and normal debris from engine work.
To keep those DI engines more clean you have to drive them very sporty with high rpmīs but a 8speed keeps the rpmīs mostly in areas which are build up this shit quickly.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #81
DevonK

Drives: TBD
VW does indeed use a dual port/DI injection system on the Golf R and maybe other models - but only in Europe. In typical VW "let's screw North America" style it went with a cheaper DI-only engine variant for the NA Golf R.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #82
liberty
Garage Queens - Not

Drives: '78 Camaro Z28, '80 Camaro Z28
These problems, and others, are not new to Chevrolet. I had engine problems in a 1969 Chevelle SS 396, a 1970 Impala 400cu in small block, and a 1980 Camaro Z28 (350cu in). Lack of sufficient engineering, and quality control, are in Chevrolet's DNA. Wouldn't be much of an issue if Chevrolet corrected the problems while in warranty, but they send out their lawyers to deny customer remedy. I've never had similar quality lapses, or warranty coverage, in Toyota products.
liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #83
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty View Post
These problems, and others, are not new to Chevrolet. I had engine problems in a 1969 Chevelle SS 396, a 1970 Impala 400cu in small block, and a 1980 Camaro Z28 (350cu in). Lack of sufficient engineering, and quality control, are in Chevrolet's DNA. Wouldn't be much of an issue if Chevrolet corrected the problems while in warranty, but they send out their lawyers to deny customer remedy. I've never had similar quality lapses, or warranty coverage, in Toyota products.
I had an '80 z28 with the borg 4 speed, actuated induction flaps and glass t-tops. To this day I love and miss that car. But you're right lots of engine and transmission problems, but all my cars I'd ever bought back then had problems.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #84
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty View Post
And Toyota makes low power, safer designs, and sells them to people who could care less about performance. Don't you think it is more challenging to build a Camaro with 455 hp that people are going to beat on than a 150 hp Corolla?