Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Batman's ZL1
Batman's ZL1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
New Camaro owner - Rival co-worker is a Mustang owner; need info to defend my car

Well Hello to all you awesome Camaro owners out there. I am new to this forum and to owning one of the greatest cars ever built, a Camaro. I am blessed enough to have recently been able to buy my dream car... a 2014 Chevy ZL1 Fully-Loaded with all available options [check out my garage pictures] . I purchased it with 10 miles on it right off the showroom floor. Funny Story, I told myself that if I was ever able to buy a "muscle car" I would buy a Manual transmission. (even though I had never learned how to drive stick) So when I ended up buying the car, my co-worker had to drive it home for me (approx. 400 miles) and it sat in my garage for 3 weeks while I took lessons to learn how to drive stick.

Anyways, this Co-worker is a good guy, he helped me learn how to drive a stick and how to take care of a premium vehicle. However, since he has a 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 with added mods that give it about a 700+ HP, he constantly gives me a hard time about my car being 'slow'. I love my car and have no regrets, but I'm not a car guy yet. I'm still learning.

Could you real car guys (and girls) out there give me some positive info about ZL1's/Chevy's that I could use to DEFEND my Camaro ZL1 and the Chevy brand name in general against his Ford and his "musty-thang"??
Batman's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Tell him to compare apples to apples as you are stock and not modified. You will definitely be better on a road course

Enjoy the car and friendly banter between each other. I have a few mustang friends at work and we go back and forth but in the end we are car guys.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Sure.

Dont diminish him for his choice firstly.

Just suggest you chose the ZL1 as it fits your desires and you like the progressive technologies in it.

It is better to keep a friend an an ally. Surely he has seen the videos and writeups of the z, zl, and1le. He might be acting defensively on his choice. Although it does sound like he has a sweet car.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Batman's ZL1
Batman's ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Tell him to compare apples to apples as you are stock and not modified. You will definitely be better on a road course

Enjoy the car and friendly banter between each other. I have a few mustang friends at work and we go back and forth but in the end we are car guys.

Ryan
yeah he does compare apples to apples.... what he does is he will text me/ or email me the original stock specs for his car and mine just to show his car has more hp with a smaller engine. Or he will send me numbers from the official track test times of both vehicles. I feel like I got thrust into a college rivalry and I am playing catch-up trying to learn about cars in general.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Whitefifthgen

Drives: White zl1
Tell him John Force is going to be driving a camaro instead of a mustang. Lol
Whitefifthgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Send him the magazine comparisons of the two...ZL1 came out ahead in all but one of those.

Sounds like is all in good fun!
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Tell him you'll race him on the drag strip if he races you on the road course.

With pullies, headers and tune, you will be right there with him power wise.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Batman's ZL1
Batman's ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Send him the magazine comparisons of the two...ZL1 came out ahead in all but one of those.

Sounds like is all in good fun!

Which Magazine specifically did you read where they compared the ZL1 and the Shelby, and the ZL1 was rated higher?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Dude, these kinds of things drive me crazy. Compared to a 700hp Mustang it probably does feel slow, but there is so much more to this car than straight line speed. You have better brakes, a better suspension, the car is built with the extra cooling required to go to the track while the GT500 needs "options" to make it track worthy. I thought about getting a GT500, knowing full well that it was faster in a straight line, but that car didn't do it for me like the ZL1. When I looked at the GT500 I thought, "Cool car.", but when I saw the ZL1 I absolutely fell in love with it. I thought it looked so much more badass. Then I read the reviews comparing the two and liked that the ZL1 is generally considered a better road car. I was using mine for a daily driver so it was a win/win. It all depends on your priorities. Be the bigger man and say, "Yep, it's slower, but that's not my priority." If it is your priority then get the mods to make your ZL1 800hp and tell him his car feels slow. Don't let someone bully you into doing something you don't want to do if this is your first muscle car. Are you happy with it? That's all that matters.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
How about you don't defend your car. Let it be. Enjoy your car.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman's ZL1 View Post
Which Magazine specifically did you read where they compared the ZL1 and the Shelby, and the ZL1 was rated higher?

Uh, every comparo from late 2012 to the present day.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
Batman's ZL1
Batman's ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
Dude, these kinds of things drive me crazy. Compared to a 700hp Mustang it probably does feel slow, but there is so much more to this car than straight line speed. You have better brakes, a better suspension, the car is built with the extra cooling required to go to the track while the GT500 needs "options" to make it track worthy. I thought about getting a GT500, knowing full well that it was faster in a straight line, but that car didn't do it for me like the ZL1. When I looked at the GT500 I thought, "Cool car.", but when I saw the ZL1 I absolutely fell in love with it. I thought it looked so much more badass. Then I read the reviews comparing the two and liked that the ZL1 is generally considered a better road car. I was using mine for a daily driver so it was a win/win. It all depends on your priorities. Be the bigger man and say, "Yep, it's slower, but that's not my priority." If it is your priority then get the mods to make your ZL1 800hp and tell him his car feels slow. Don't let someone bully you into doing something you don't want to do if this is your first muscle car. Are you happy with it? That's all that matters.
Thanks, for the specific info "BETTER BRAKES, BETTER SUSPENSION, EXTRA COOLING". I will do my research into that and have something to hit him back with.
I had went to the Chevy website to use the side-by-side comparison, but the only thing that showed as a ZL1 advantage was the 100k warranty as opposed to Ford's 60k warranty. I told him that Ford didn't think his vehicle would last as long as Chevy felt its cars would due to the quality of manufacturing.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Mag ride and much better braking system....enough said.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
Don't forget that the Camaro has an independent rear suspension better for handling and the Shelby has a solid rear axle which is better for the drag strip. But it isn't nearly as good as the zl1s handling on the road especially with that magnetic ride control.
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold