Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
stearns.mw

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Looking for a little advice

Is there any upgrades I can do to my LSA engine that won't void the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stearns.mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Roto fab intake.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Catch can. Mild to wild Kit VMaxx throttle body
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
stearns.mw

So a throttle body won't void warranty that go to know and something to look in to. I was going to get the cold air intake. Any guess on the HP gains for cold air with throttle body? Thanks in advance for your answers

Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I picked up 23rwhp with a CAI cold air intake and vmax ported LSA throttle body.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Vmax TB didn't go so well for me....made the car idle weird.

Rotofab for sure. You can go with an 5% OD pulley without voiding anything.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns.mw View Post
So a throttle body won't void warranty that go to know and something to look in to. I was going to get the cold air intake. Any guess on the HP gains for cold air with throttle body? Thanks in advance for your answers

Zero HP
Old 09-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
There are a few simple things you can do that can help performance, but if you are looking to avoid a tune, then there is one major cool tweak you can do that could give you up to as much as 3Lbs of Boost! Currently the thread post is on page 3 right now in this forum, The thread is called "Free Boost Modifications" It takes about 10 minutes for someone that is unskilled and about 5 for someone with skill, its that easy!. I did it myself in about 10 minutes and I got close to 3Lbs of Boost. The other things as mentioned are a Cai, and a oil catch can. Anything more than these things along with the boost modification listed above and you are going to need a tune which will change your warranty. Here is the link to the free boost modification thread, I hope the link works. else its on page 3. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398573 Also you do Not need any tools besides a 10mm socket. The tool they talk about in the thread is not needed, I did mine without using it, so don't be intimidated.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
A CAI and ported throttle body makes a big difference and will not impact your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Vmax TB didn't go so well for me....made the car idle weird.
Sometimes that can be due to the bolts being to tight. They are only supposed to be at 9 ft-lb. which is easy to over shoot if you don't use a torque wrench.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Zero HP
This guy speaks the truth. Neither item adds HP. Don't get suckered into the "magic" HP bolt on parts. Doesn't work that way and some shops..not APEX..will say anything to get your money. HP is achieved through a proper build and knowing where your headed in the end. You may put on a part and feel no difference but you know that your going to add the next part and those two parts compliment each other. If HP was easy and cheap everyone would do it. Correct parts added with a tune will equal HP. If your worried about warranty you will only get very minimal results with bolt on parts. Don't be fooled by the "I got 100 HP gain bolt on guys"
Old 09-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
stearns.mw

Thanks parkerss maybe I should stick to what I have for a while. Maybe I should think about wider tires to hook up better with the road, so I can use more of the power that I do have. Right now I'm running stock ZL1 tire size and tires

Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerss View Post
This guy speaks the truth. Neither item adds HP. Don't get suckered into the "magic" HP bolt on parts. Doesn't work that way and some shops..not APEX..will say anything to get your money. HP is achieved through a proper build and knowing where your headed in the end. You may put on a part and feel no difference but you know that your going to add the next part and those two parts compliment each other. If HP was easy and cheap everyone would do it. Correct parts added with a tune will equal HP. If your worried about warranty you will only get very minimal results with bolt on parts. Don't be fooled by the "I got 100 HP gain bolt on guys"
That's a very definitive statement. I would have to disagree with you and also ask that you post the results from your testing that support your claims. We along with many Roto-fab users have posted evidence which states otherwise. Our system is cheap HP and in many ZL1 groups everyone is doing it!

The Roto-fab intake alone will give you about 25 HP with zero drivability issues. It has been proven time and time again. In addition, it sounds awesome! Granted, the sound doesn't help with with power, but it will make your ZL1 a lot more fun to drive! We have thousands of ZL1 CAI systems out there on cars and feedback on it is awesome! I don't think they are all wrong!

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 09-22-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #13
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Just remember, no after market part can technically void your warranty unless said part directly causes the failure. That's the tricky part and 9 times out of 10 it's the dealers word against yours of cause of failure. If you have a decent dealer and you discuss it with them and they seem decent and fair, I'm sure you'll be just fine with adding parts. Just google Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and you'll get the details if you wish.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Just remember, no after market part can technically void your warranty unless said part directly causes the failure. That's the tricky part and 9 times out of 10 it's the dealers word against yours of cause of failure. If you have a decent dealer and you discuss it with them and they seem decent and fair, I'm sure you'll be just fine with adding parts. Just google Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and you'll get the details if you wish.
^^ Yes!

Also, I gained at least 40whp with a couple of bolt-on parts before my tune. After the tune, I gained another 25whp. There's also plenty of bolt-on ZL1s running 10s in the quarter mile. That would require at least another 100whp from stock. Yes, certain bolt-ons work better when they're paired with another bolt-on. I'm not sure of the logic of saying that bolt-ons don't get you hp.