Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #85
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Nice truck. Do you have your Camaro pics on a Silverado forum? JJK
Yeah as a matter of fact I do...with 83 vehicles it is hard to keep them straight.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #86
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Yeah as a matter of fact I do...with 83 vehicles it is hard to keep them straight.
Yes, now I understand.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #87
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Your in fairfax as well. You getting up to coffee and cars tomorrow!
Not this week...gotta get a tree, and other fun stuff!

I think I saw your car there a few weeks ago...I usually pull in around 930 when I go...sometimes I don't see any C5's, so I hang with my Mopar buddies. I know, the enemy! Lol

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #88
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Gents, all posts were deleted, not sure why folks are still quoting me. If it came across inproperally I apologize. No insult was intended. I was having a rough day and should have re-read and rethought about my statement(s) prior to posting.

Can't we let it go.
You dont owe anybody an apology. Thses guys arent the show. Some think they are but their not..............I AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #89
camarohouston

Drives: 2014 2ltRS dualmode CAI
2LT more bang for you buck, and cheaper to own if its your primary car. Traded in my 2010 2ss for a 2014 2LT RS. Cold air intake, with dual mode exhaust it is fast enough for American roads. You will appreciate the higher fuel mileage and using regular instead of premium. May be just a V6 underhood. But 0-60 in 5.7 with over 340hp will out run any gen4 v8 camaros.
camarohouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrex007 View Post
I am looking for smoothness in driving... like your in the dalorean and your driving in the air... that type of smoothness...
06_warrior's answer ↓↓↓ is the one that you're looking for, and it's something that can be predicted by looking at the differences in tire & wheel sizes (LT generally has narrower and taller tires on narrower rims) and the general intent of each trim (SS will be sprung a little firmer with slightly firmer damping to be expected from that). The 18" 1LT wheel/tire package should ride a little better than the 19" 2LT's setup, which in turn will be a little better than the 20's of the RS-package or SS model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
I started off with a 12' 1LT and traded to a 12' 1SS. The LT was a smoother ride but a softer suspension that you could feel in turns ( a little bit sloppier or loose) The SS has a stiffer suspension and it is a little bit bumpier/bouncier ride but take it into the turns and it holds the road much better and is a tighter ride. Just go and test drive both and see/feel for your self.
For most OE cars, "bumpier/bouncier" is going to mean a slightly firmer ride - bumps will be a bit more noticeable but will still be a long ways from being harsh ("harsh" is where hitting sharp bumps and bad pavement has a character approaching a physical sting like your butt was being slapped with a flat board and you sort of cringe when you suddenly realize you can't avoid the one youre about to hit).

Quote:
If i buy a SS it will have to have lots of miles on it, cause i won't be able to afford modifications for a long time, unless i buy a LT, i can modify that in a years time... but I would like to know the smoothness of each... Its winter here where I am, and I will have to wait till April for a solid experience.
Out of curiosity, what sorts of mods do you have in mind? What mods might you be willing to undertake if you were to find a car that was pretty close in all but one or two respects?

If your mods were to involve different wheels and tire sizes, keep in mind that ride quality will almost certainly be affected. If you were to find a car that was a very good match otherwise but whose owner had installed some really short sidewall 21's or 22's, would you still consider that car with the idea up front that you'd be ditching the 20+ stuff for 18's or possibly 19's?

There are more subtle things like cornering response involved (how crisply or sluggishly the car wants to turn as you start turning the steering wheel). Does that matter at all? Note that there can be significant differences here among different tire mfrs or even among different tires by the same mfr even if you hold the tire size itself constant. You don't have to answer these questions to anybody but yourself if you don't want to.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #91
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohouston View Post
2LT more bang for you buck, and cheaper to own if its your primary car. Traded in my 2010 2ss for a 2014 2LT RS. Cold air intake, with dual mode exhaust it is fast enough for American roads. You will appreciate the higher fuel mileage and using regular instead of premium. May be just a V6 underhood. But 0-60 in 5.7 with over 340hp will out run any gen4 v8 camaros.
You traded an SS for a LT. Wow, I can't imagine the difference everytime I really got on it. I couldn't do it. Shit everytime I get in my gf's turbo'd VW, I'm disappointed in the acceleration. It's not my Gixxer 1000, eyeballs sucked back into your head, with my Camaro, but if I'm leaving V-8 land it's for a jeep.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #92
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr40oz View Post
You traded an SS for a LT. Wow, I can't imagine the difference everytime I really got on it. I couldn't do it. Shit everytime I get in my gf's turbo'd VW, I'm disappointed in the acceleration. It's not my Gixxer 1000, eyeballs sucked back into your head, with my Camaro, but if I'm leaving V-8 land it's for a jeep.
That's the point everyone is different, not everyone buys it for the acceleration. Some want features and don't care if it takes 6 seconds to get to 60 or 5 seconds. On the street in normal driving it makes little difference. If everyone wanted the same thing then they would only come one way... As you can see everyone can be happy with a car that fits their needs or wants.
There is truly no wrong choice unless the choice you make ends up not fitting your needs or wants, then you can always go back and make a new choice.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #93
Dr40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That's the point everyone is different, not everyone buys it for the acceleration. Some want features and don't care if it takes 6 seconds to get to 60 or 5 seconds. On the street in normal driving it makes little difference. If everyone wanted the same thing then they would only come one way... As you can see everyone can be happy with a car that fits their needs or wants.
There is truly no wrong choice unless the choice you make ends up not fitting your needs or wants, then you can always go back and make a new choice.
Totally understood. If I wanted a pretty Camaro I'd buy a Lt and stay there. I can't tell you how many girls confuse Camaro trims and don't realize what's under the hood makes the difference. I'm just saying I couldn't downgrade. I would have purchased a vehicle that didn't have a larger engine option. The lower trims dilute the market. To each their own. That's what makes life interesting.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #94
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Totally understood. If I wanted a pretty Camaro I'd buy a Lt and stay there. I can't tell you how many girls confuse Camaro trims and don't realize what's under the hood makes the difference. I'm just saying I couldn't downgrade. I would have purchased a vehicle that didn't have a larger engine option. The lower trims dilute the market. To each their own. That's what makes life interesting.
How can you say lower trims dilute the market? In that frame of mind there shouldn't be any SS Camaros made. Only ZL1's and Z/28's...
All models have a lower trim line it does not dilute the market but enhances the market. What it does is give a larger market appeal to the car. And that is a good thing..
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #95
Dr40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
How can you say lower trims dilute the market? In that frame of mind there shouldn't be any SS Camaros made. Only ZL1's and Z/28's...
All models have a lower trim line it does not dilute the market but enhances the market. What it does is give a larger market appeal to the car. And that is a good thing..
They introduced a lower trim to sell as many cars as possible quite simply.. Larger market appeal is great for stockholders. Not so much for me.

The ZL1 and z/28 are focused extensions of the SS, that came out years after the SS. I don't have a problem with V-6's other than my general bias against a cheaper option in every aspect but the general body lines of a SS.

I'll never bad mouth a friend's LT, I 'll just never have to hear "oh wow is that an SS " and have to say nope because my car looks faster than it is.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #96
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
They introduced a lower trim to sell as many cars as possible quite simply.. Larger market appeal is great for stockholders. Not so much for me.

The ZL1 and z/28 are focused extensions of the SS, that came out years after the SS. I don't have a problem with V-6's other than my general bias against a cheaper option in every aspect but the general body lines of a SS.

I'll never bad mouth a friend's LT, I 'll just never have to hear "oh wow is that an SS " and have to say nope because my car looks faster than it is.
So are you trying to say you are only biased against the V6 models because they look too much like an SS?
You do realize that every Generation of Camaro has been done the same way.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #97
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
I love the ride of the SS. It's stiff without being harsh.

I had a bunch of third gen F-Bodies, and especially those with the WS6 package rode like go-karts to me (loved it at the time, but I've gotten old). The SS now feels as stiff but without jarring your teeth loose on potholes. I don't think it's appreciably better or worse than the V6 cars. I test drove a V6 car but don't recall whether it was LS or LT or if that even matters.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #98
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
I started off with a 12' 1LT and traded to a 12' 1SS. The LT was a smoother ride but a softer suspension that you could feel in turns ( a little bit sloppier or loose) The SS has a stiffer suspension and it is a little bit bumpier/bouncier ride but take it into the turns and it holds the road much better and is a tighter ride. Just go and test drive both and see/feel for your self.
I agree ! I experience the same in the LT. And having driven few SS's before big margin difference. For the new year I'll be strengthen my entire suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk