Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Thumbs up Flowmaster Super-44s (STARTUP/REV VIDEO ADDED!!!)

Hi all,
Just wanted to share my exhaust mod experience in order to maybe assist others with their decisions one way or the other. Sorry, I don't have video/audio because I don't own video equipment. Plus, I have been laboring over this decision for so many months, listened to hundreds of clips and watched so many videos only to realize in EVERY case, video cannot accurately reproduce the in-person experience but also realize that video is better than nothing at all. My advice on watching video is to keep in mind that the videos you watch and listen to do not have but a fraction of the low end base sound from these systems so factor that in. It is like listening to a song on the radio with the base turned way down but the music in person thumps so good you can FEEL it. The exhaust in person is the same way...you not only hear it...you FEEL it resonate through your body like a good subwoofer resonates the low-end. Anyway on with the story...

I went with a custom route vs. buying the whole pre-packaged, named brand Cat-back system. I had already taken delivery of the Doug Thorley short tube headers (love them by the way) but could not wait any longer on their cat-back system to be released so I went to my local performance/muffler shop and discussed with them what I wanted. I went with taking the stock cat-back H-pipe system out (after noticing how small the pipe in the H really was when they put it on the lift) and they put in 2.5 inch, X-pipe cat-back exhaust (no resonators) with the Super-44 Flowmasters and 4 inch stainless tips. They did that as well as installed my new DT headers. I am very, very pleased. The install looks factory and it is the deepest sounding exhaust I have ever heard. You don't just hear it...you feel it. The rev sounds refined and aggressive at the same time. It is not rediculous loud but just right for my taste. From inside the cabin, with the tunes off, it is ear candy, even when driving slow. With the tunes on at normal levels there are no issues. I can still enjoy my tunes when I want without worrying about in-cabin drone. I've had this new setup for a couple of days now so my radio is not even on and won't be for a while so I can listen to the sweet music of my LS3. The only thing I have noticed is that the popping on deceleration is, of course, more pronounced because of the Super-44s being louder than stock. I like it so far but may not later on. I saw a thread where you can get the popping tuned out but I'd rather not mess with the tune yet because of voiding the power-train warranty. I also saw where a couple of people thought the Super-44 made it sound like it was under water. Don't know what they are referring to. The exhaust is perfect. No rasp whatsoever which was important to me...just clean, crisp, deep, thunderous exhaust like a V8 should sound.

If you are a fan of Flowmaster and decide to go with the American Thunder system they just released for the Camaro, I suspect you will not be disappointed. I understand that their X-pipe config incorporates 3 inch pipes. That should deepen the exhaust note even more I would think. Don't know the price tag of that system yet. I probably would have gone for that had I not already pulled the trigger on what I have but I have no regrets whatsoever. The cost of what I have made it easy to swallow also. Either way you go, you'll be pleased. Good luck and enjoy!

P.S. Now waiting on the final mod....Vararam OTR Ram Air!!!

EDIT: Added my youtube rev video:

Last edited by Edrock; 09-19-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added rev video
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Glad the 44's worked for you Edrock. I was not trying to discourage you or anyone about 44's, I love them too. Just the Magnaflows sounded better to me, maybe 44's do sound better when under load and driving, but I did not test them that way. My decel popping is now a burbling rumble, sounds cool. Maybe my sound was different because of my ARH 1-7/8" headers and 3" pipes all the way back.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG383 View Post
Glad the 44's worked for you Edrock. I was not trying to discourage you or anyone about 44's, I love them too. Just the Magnaflows sounded better to me, maybe 44's do sound better when under load and driving, but I did not test them that way. My decel popping is now a burbling rumble, sounds cool. Maybe my sound was different because of my ARH 1-7/8" headers and 3" pipes all the way back.
Oh. No problem. I was not targeting anyone about their opinion of the sound. In fact, I could not even remember who all had that opinion but it was a few people here on Camaro5 which is why I mentioned it. Had only 1 person had that opinion, I would have not given it another thought but since a handful said exactly the same thing (under water sound) in totally different threads, I was worried that I had commissioned the installation for 2 water tanks in the rear...LOL.

Wow. Looks like you have quite a setup. Maybe you are right. Maybe those headers and larger pipes did make the difference in sound. I'm finding more and more that these mods are serious business as far as design goes. I see why these performance companies are taking their time to do so much testing to find the right combination of parts to achieve the desired sound and performance. They're not just slapping pipes and mufflers together and putting it on the market...
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Thank you guys for all your input! I'm going to take my chances and see how the Super 44's sound between my 3 inch piping. The inlets and outlets on my Super 44's are 3 inches, but Flowmaster said you could do smaller too with a little more welding. I wonder if that could have been what made them sound like underwater cans. Not sure, but I'm a firm believer in Flowmasters too and always have been. I'm also going for the Vararam and tune with the ARH headers so maybe it will all work in the long run. I can't see it not being satisfying in the end, but if it's not, I will just roll my car back in and have the cans swapped out for others. I already have the Super 44's and the ARH headers with x-pipe so I might as well roll with them at this point. The cool thing is I will have the 3" Noweeds diverters too so if the mufflers don't turn out nice, I can open up my diverters partially or all the way for the few days before getting new mufflers. I don't get my car until November so I'll be making posts once I'm all done. Once all my mods are complete, I'll probably open up my own thread with a ton of pics and/or video in order to receive feedback.
Again, thank both of you guys! It's great to hear that you are in love with your 44's Edrock and I've heard good things about Magnaflows so I'm sure those are great too AG383.
Thanks for your posts!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Thank you guys for all your input! I'm going to take my chances and see how the Super 44's sound between my 3 inch piping. The inlets and outlets on my Super 44's are 3 inches, but Flowmaster said you could do smaller too with a little more welding. I wonder if that could have been what made them sound like underwater cans. Not sure, but I'm a firm believer in Flowmasters too and always have been. I'm also going for the Vararam and tune with the ARH headers so maybe it will all work in the long run. I can't see it not being satisfying in the end, but if it's not, I will just roll my car back in and have the cans swapped out for others. I already have the Super 44's and the ARH headers with x-pipe so I might as well roll with them at this point. The cool thing is I will have the 3" Noweeds diverters too so if the mufflers don't turn out nice, I can open up my diverters partially or all the way for the few days before getting new mufflers. I don't get my car until November so I'll be making posts once I'm all done. Once all my mods are complete, I'll probably open up my own thread with a ton of pics and/or video in order to receive feedback.
Again, thank both of you guys! It's great to hear that you are in love with your 44's Edrock and I've heard good things about Magnaflows so I'm sure those are great too AG383.
Thanks for your posts!!!
Yep...that's pretty much how I decided to roll with it...if I didn't like it, I'd cut the Super 44s off and go with something else. Fortunately for me, it was the sound and performance I was after. Can't wait to hear your clips. I'm going to try to record my setup this weekend and post if it turns out OK but know the video won't do it justice. There is no substitute for live action. Good luck everybody!!

P.S. AG383. I put Magnaflows on my Dodge truck a few years back and they are awesome too so it's all good! Magnaflows are the bomb as well.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I love the decel popping and I'm still on stock mufflers. The car has gotten louder with more miles on it. I now will not be changing out the exhaust.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I love the decel popping and I'm still on stock mufflers. The car has gotten louder with more miles on it. I now will not be changing out the exhaust.
I definitely hear the popping on decel now. On occasion, I almost get embarrassed when it pops slowing down to a light...notice I said almost.

I don't mind it though. If it gets on my nerves, I'll either get it tuned out or just shift to neutral and coast to a stop instead of decel in gear (but that's a hard habit to break). That would probably help my mileage too but I'm not worried about that right now...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Edrock

I finally got around to posting a video of my exhaust setup. Hope you like it.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
2L8IWON

Thanks for posting the video!
I don't think the speakers on my pc do it justice! I say that because I've had many sets of Flowmaster mufflers and I know how deep they are. I also think they are the best and deepest at certain RPM ranges while driving. Can't wait to get my car and my mufflers installed!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #10
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
sounds pretty good but I still haven't found any other exhaust/xpipe/headers setup that sounds better than this imo

how much did it cost you for the mods in the video if you dont mind me asking?

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Edrock

~$550 for Doug Thorley Short Tube Headers and ~$1,100 for installation of headers + fabrication/installation of X-pipe catback exhaust with Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers and 4 inch tips.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
2L8IWON

Holy crapola! $1100 just for installation for your entire exhaust. OUCH! I'm gonna have to call around or attempt to do some things myself.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Holy crapola! $1100 just for installation for your entire exhaust. OUCH! I'm gonna have to call around or attempt to do some things myself.
No no. Let me be more specific. The $1,100 included labor cost for the installation of the headers and the catback system, yes. BUT also included in that $1,100 is the 2.5 inch "X" pipe crossover section, straight pipes that replace the resonators, the piping from that point to the mufflers, 2 Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers, and 4 inch tips. So no, the $1,100 was not just labor. Could a custom job be done cheaper? Probably, but I feel I did pretty good for a total investment of ~$1,700 out of pocket for headers and complete replacement of the exhaust system (except for the CATs). If you price out some of the popular catback brands like Borla and Corsa, then add in short tube headers on top of that as well as labor to have it installed, you're easily looking into the $2,500 range, if not more. Even the newly release AMT catback system from Flowmaster sells for just under $1,000 and does not include installation which will be another $200 - $300 unless you can do it yourself and does not include headers in the mix either. Is my exhaust system as high performance and high quality as the big name brands? Maybe...maybe not, but if not, the difference would be negligible and I paid only a fraction of the cost.

Sorry, I should have given you more detail in my previous post on the cost but no worries. It's all good.

Last edited by Edrock; 09-21-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
2L8IWON

Edrock - Yeah, the x-pipe and piping made somewhat of a difference. Just trying to estimate what it's gonna cost myself to get ARH headers w/ x-pipe, Noweeds diverters, Super 44's, and tips installed. Everything is bolt on except for the mufflers and tips so a rough estimate is about all I can do. I'm guessing worst case scenario of $800, but if they quote more, I'll definitely be shopping around.