Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Impala is down, Cruze is down, Sonic is down, Spark is down, Volt is down, Corvette is down (1000 units...those are Viper numbers!!)....but nearly every single crossover, truck or SUV have increase in sales figures - so much so that Chevrolet as a brand has increased in sales by 5% year over year.

Sales figures are bad for Camaro - but they're nearly as bad, or worse for every other sedan/coupe on the market, it seems. Cars are not "in" right now....

So, I don't think it's too fair to put all the blame on the car, itself...because it's faltering (right now) mostly BECAUSE it's a car.

I think Camaro team needs to figure out how best to keep it interesting and relevant to maintain what sales they can in an anti-car market...while being cost effective.

Glad I don't have their job - but I have faith in them...Camaro's not going anywhere.

EDIT: Plus - it's the dead of winter. This is literally THE WORST time in recent history to sell a sports car.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #44
AJL13

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke76 View Post
low sales, but what's the profit margarin? GM should know what they are doing...but, 3 things would help:

More marketing like a commercial that vin diesel does with dodge.

better price point....how about 29,995$ for a base V8....

hand brake is just so much cooler in a "sports" / "muscle car" than a electronic brake....

hope the refresh is great and sells well... or no 7th generation Camaro...
As I mentioned in the 3LT thread, throw the LT1 in the pre-existing RS package, call it 3LT, and put a bow on it. If they can do something to drop the price of the entry-level V8 powered Camaro to a $34-35K MSRP, I think it would bump sales.
AJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #45
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Low or flat sales is one thing, but a 20% drop compared to January 2017 is not good not matter how you look at it. The 6th does has the advantage of being built with the ATS and CTS to help offset the R&D tooling costs and stay afloat during lean times.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #46
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
Everyone needs to relax. The Camaro isn’t going anywhere again. The last time it went away after 2002, there were plant, production and safety issues along with low sales numbers. This car is phenomenal and all the reviewers know this, so GM does as well. They will do something to boost sales, but it’s not going anywhere. 😎🤘🏼
Exactly. Plus, past management that killed the Camaro after the 2002 model year were the same people that drove GM into the ground causing their bankruptcy.

GM management is thousands times better now. Okay, okay...There are rare times that GM still acts like the "old" GM. But few and far between, it seems.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #47
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I tried to deal on a 2018 2SS 1LE where I bought my '16 2SS and they wouldn't budge so I walked. We ran the numbers and everything. They haven't called, emailed or snail mailed. I went to a competing dealer just to test drive the new Mustang GT PP1 W/magride to compare and they sent a letter thanking me for stopping by. Yes, it was a Mustang. But the dealer was on the way home and Tampa had Gasparilla going on and if you've ever driven 275 thru Tampa on a good day, you'd understand, so I was killing time.

So it's not all the cars fault
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #48
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
And yet they did away with rebate as a way of saying thanks for your order lol. I ordered a zl1 1le in December should pick it up in a week or 2. I’m doing my part.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #49
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Before we go off on where Chevy went wrong with the 6th gen Camaro and why sales are falling, let's look at other cars...

Corvette, down 20%
Cruze, down 45%
Impala, down 47%
Malibu, down 10%
Sonic, down 54%
Spark, down 8%

No 'car' (outside of Bolt 1.3%) actually went up in sales over 2017 numbers. So where did the sales go? Trucks, SUVs, CUVs... this is the new norm. And Chevy overall went up 5%.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #50
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Never going to happen. Even the Challenger RT starts at $34K. A stripped down V8 at $35K is more realistic, but truthfully what they give you at $38K is a bargain in itself. Too bad people either don't realize this or can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
I tried to deal on a 2018 2SS 1LE where I bought my '16 2SS and they wouldn't budge so I walked. We ran the numbers and everything. They haven't called, emailed or snail mailed. I went to a competing dealer just to test drive the new Mustang GT PP1 W/magride to compare and they sent a letter thanking me for stopping by. Yes, it was a Mustang. But the dealer was on the way home and Tampa had Gasparilla going on and if you've ever driven 275 thru Tampa on a good day, you'd understand, so I was killing time.

So it's not all the cars fault
But it's not the manufacturer's fault either. I was in contact with several Chevy and Ford dealers. Three Chevy dealers continuously attempted to deal with me, only one of the Ford dealers followed up.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #51
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Impala is down, Cruze is down, Sonic is down, Spark is down, Volt is down, Corvette is down (1000 units...those are Viper numbers!!)....but nearly every single crossover, truck or SUV have increase in sales figures - so much so that Chevrolet as a brand has increased in sales by 5% year over year.

Sales figures are bad for Camaro - but they're nearly as bad, or worse for every other sedan/coupe on the market, it seems. Cars are not "in" right now....

So, I don't think it's too fair to put all the blame on the car, itself...because it's faltering (right now) mostly BECAUSE it's a car.

I think Camaro team needs to figure out how best to keep it interesting and relevant to maintain what sales they can in an anti-car market...while being cost effective.

Glad I don't have their job - but I have faith in them...Camaro's not going anywhere.

EDIT: Plus - it's the dead of winter. This is literally THE WORST time in recent history to sell a sports car.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #52
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yeah, but you Jersey guys are nuts. Lol. JK
Well played, Sir
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #53
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

I wonder how many leftover '17 Mustangs figured into their sales number for January. Are they having a fire sale to get them off dealer lots?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #54
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
If people can't afford an SS or chose not to, I think that is a positive for Americans. If they turn around and buy 50000$ trucks, that's a negative as far as their financial health is concerned, unless they really can "afford" it.

It's all relative. It's OK to defer major purchases but thats just MHO
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #55
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
low sales, but what's the profit margarin? GM should know what they are doing...but, 3 things would help:

hand brake is just so much cooler in a "sports" / "muscle car" than a electronic brake....

A $29,995 V8 Camaro would further crush resale & current lease options of all current Camaros. Sub $30k days are long gone, particularly when you look at basic commuter cars hitting close to that range.

Cannot imagine the hand brake being the one thing that was the make or break option.

7th gen design is or should already be in progress. That money has already been spent.

If you look around on other forums. The constant place where the 6th gen takes heat from those who looked at buying one is the high belt line, low roof line, confined feel of drivers area, lack of storage vs competition. Cost is also mentioned, but is seemingly further down the list of why people actually purchased a Mustang/Challenger instead of a Camaro.

Also as others have mentioned, dealer stock. My local Chevrolet dealer may have a single SS on the lot, usually a convertible. The remaining few are LS/LT's. Meanwhile the Dodge camp has a dozen or so Challengers from sxt's, scat packs thru Hellcats on the lot at any time. Ford across the street will have a couple V8 GT's & a few entry level units. Having access to shop the cars in person makes a difference as well.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #56
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:

MARGIN, not MARGARIN!!!
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote