Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
crimsongtp

Drives: 2014 AGM SS/RS 1LE
Stock tires in the cold/wet/snow

Yes, I know the stock tires hate everything but warm, dry pavement. However, after just picking up my car for me, my wife is in IL with it until after the holidays in which we will drive back to Georgia. WHICH MEANS, I have to drive it from the northernest tip of IL down to GA in January. When you guys say the tires are bad in these conditions, how bad? I year round drove my GTO in the winter and it was awful but doable.

Basically, is it just a, go easy on the throttle and you will be fine or is it more like, no matter what you do, that thing will be a greased pig on ice.

Thanks
crimsongtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
greased pig on ice, do not drive them in temps under 40 degrees..... I went to an all season tire and love it so far, been in temps down to 22 degrees so far and work great.. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....C2AS&tab=Sizes

Here is the service bulletin for the G2..

PSB #2011-10

TO: Goodyear Contract Dealers, Goodyear Canada Inc. Dealers, Goodyear Company Owned Stores

Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 Summer Tires Not Recommended for Winter Use

Goodyear F1 Supercar G:2’s are D.O.T. approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Goodyear does not recommend using these high performance summer tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40 deg F (5 deg C) or below, or in snow/ice conditions.

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
crimsongtp

Drives: 2014 AGM SS/RS 1LE
well it's going to happen. I guess I should clarify. Car is in a heated garage and when it leaves it, it will drive straight to GA.

so who has done it and what was your experience
crimsongtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsongtp View Post
Yes, I know the stock tires hate everything but warm, dry pavement. However, after just picking up my car for me, my wife is in IL with it until after the holidays in which we will drive back to Georgia. WHICH MEANS, I have to drive it from the northernest tip of IL down to GA in January. When you guys say the tires are bad in these conditions, how bad? I year round drove my GTO in the winter and it was awful but doable.

Basically, is it just a, go easy on the throttle and you will be fine or is it more like, no matter what you do, that thing will be a greased pig on ice.

Thanks
Stock tires absolutely LOVE wet pavement ... when hot. Cold stock tires on wet pavement is another story.

That said ... if you are going to see any snow, the trip is off. If the temps are going to be below 20 degrees, the tires will crack. If the temps will be above that but below 40 degrees, you'll be lighting them up at 20% throttle at 1200 RPM in third gear ... it's like being on ice, until they warm up.

To warm them up, lower your tire pressure down to no more than 32 PSI and get the car up to highway speeds for a few minutes (be careful doing this obviously). Watch your tire pressures in the DIC and when you've seen a 3 or more PSI increase in pressure, then you've generated sufficient heat to where you are no longer a danger to yourself and others on the road. Don't expect summer-like traction during a full-out second gear pull, but you can expect to have more grip than most other vehicles on the road running their crappy all-seasons.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
I've not driven them on snow and wouldn't attempt it. I have driven them on dry roads in the mid 30's low 40's and it's not the death trap everyone says. Just take it easy. The tires will let go pretty quick when it's cold out. Braking isn't terrible but acceleration and lateral grip is very poor. Cold and damp roads were about the same. Cold and heavy rain are scary, so I would advise against it.
Again, these are from personal observation.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
In all honesty, you should not drive the car in January on those tires. Just not worth it man. You will not get ANY heat into them just cruising on the freeway, my pressures actually drop on the freeway in the mid 40's. The traction is very poor in cold conditions, combined with chances of wet not worth it man. If there is ANY snow, dude, don't do it. My car is a burnout machine in 3rd gear at 40-45F weather at freeway speeds. Go rent a car man, do yourself and your new car a favor. Mine is already parked for the winter after my last fun milk drive....yeah that 3rd gear bit me a bit at 70mph and a bit of Tokyo drift action but all is good.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I bought my 1le Jan 2nd of this year. Drove it 350mi in 30deg temps from OH to WI. It had the G2's with 3/4 of the tread left. I was exhausted by the time I got it home. Mentally and physically. I was worried and tense the whole way. It was not fun. Below 40 they are very slick. Below 30 the rear end will slide out on you in a 90deg turn with any throttle above 1500rpms. Below 20degs I am not sure you could make it to GA, they get brittle and crack, once that happens not sure if they will fall apart(chunks). Mine cracked just from sitting in temps below 20degs. 40deg rain over 50mph is scary/dangerous. If it is dry and above 25degs you should be okay. Any snow 1/2" or more, you aren't going anywhere.

Like Billy 10mm said, keep your cold pressure at 32psi, be careful until they max out at the psi warm temp(2-4psi more than cold). You will notice the difference once they warm up 2-4psi, but don't get cocky, they will give out when you least expect it. Good Luck!!!
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
My only fear would be with cracking. I grew up in Illinois and learned to drive in snow, ice, ice covered snow you name it. The car is not the death trap it is projected to be by some if you have a clue what you are doing. Tires will not loose pressure and heat going down the interstate (though they can loose some pressure when going from heated garage to cool air initially, but it will come back). Billy10mm is right about being extra careful until you see pressures come up with means that you have some heat in them. All this being said, try to plan this around a day that is as warm as it can be and don't leave at the butt crack of dawn (clouds overnight can get lead to warmer morning temps, maybe even near 40 by say 10 am). Wait till it warms up a bit. Also, southern Illinois is generally a good bit warmer than the northern part of the state, so your conditions will improve as you head south, and of course get better through KY, TN and into GA. You can do this, and do it safely as long as you are careful. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Last edited by gajagfan; 12-02-2015 at 01:32 PM.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I agree with most of the above. I have lost traction before, but only in temps of around 50F or less, and the tires did not have sufficient temp in them when it happened and I was more than 1/2 throttle at the time. I have driven in high 30s and low 40s degrees dry easily with no problems and through some decent rain (40s-50s temps) with no issues at all. So it can be done (at above freezing temps).
Old 12-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
This all being said, a "real" spare tire and/or AAA is not a bad idea for that far of a trip.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I drove my P-Zeroes in some nasty stuff before I knew that they were dangerous.
The G2's... good luck. I wouldn't do it.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
The car is not the death trap it is projected to be by some if you have a clue what you are doing. .
Exactly....
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
i've been driving in some 28-40 degree temps and have not killed myself yet, with these tires.
just be mindful of your right foot.
the service bulletin is just for GM to cover its own ass.
my friend that has had his 1LE for a year drove it with the stock tires in the snow last year (obviously he made sure the roads were plowed first) and his tires have not cracked and he's still in 1 piece, also.
YMMV
(i have a dedicated winter set of wheels/tires but haven't put them on yet)
good luck
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I don't know who said it was a death trap, you won't die driving on these tires unless you are doing something really stupid. But, it will/can get away from you unexpectedly. Sliding and hitting a curb, another car, or just going into the ditch and have to get towed out on the way would not be fun. Worst cases, you get stuck and have to wait a day or car is not drivable and you have to get it fixed or towed to your final destination. Pick a dryer and warmer day and you will be fine. Hopefully it will be a really warm day for the season and you will get to really enjoy the drive.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote