Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Where do you keep your lug lock key?

I just put on a set of lug locks, and I put the key in a box in the trunk where I keep road flares, simple tools, and other emergency stuff. Then I got to thinking, if someone wanted to steal my wheels, isn't that where they'd expect to find my lug key? Since there's a trunk release in the car, it wouldn't take much effort to break a window and push a button. So where do you suggest I keep the key?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Just an FYI, the truck release button does not work when the doors are locked and alarm set. I have tried while the windows down (alarm set) and reaching in to open the trunk before and it will not work.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
shamp21
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 summit white 2SS/RS
Why u wanna know so u can steal our wheels lmao
shamp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
CamaroRS/SS10

Drives: '13 Hot Wheels & '14 Z/28
I hate to say it but I work at a Tire shop and these are worthless. They make a socket to take them off and the thieves have them. If you lose your key you can't change the tire or take it off. We have people come in all the time that had to tow their car because they lost the key. Cost more money for the owner and doesn't save their rims if someone wants they will take them.
2013 Hot Wheels Camaro #63 SS 6-Speed. All stock and keeping it that way.

2014 Z/28 #119 A/C car(not by choice, ordered wrong) All stock and plan to keep it that way. The kid in me wants to mod the Hell out of it but the adult says it will be worth more years down the road. The 2 of them need to stop fighting!
1983 Chevrolet C10 lowered and restoring.
1986 Chevrolet K10 6 in lift, 35's,restored daily driver for my son.
2013 Hot Wheels Camaro. Life Size Toy..
2014 Z/28 my weekend stress reliever!
2015 Checy Sonic RS
2015 Chevy Equinox
CamaroRS/SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I threw mine in the rear pocket of the passenger seat
Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #6
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Glove compartment for me.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #7
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
There are spots in the interior where you can stash it and no one knows better. Just have to be a little creative.

Peeps above posted the obvious locations.....where the thieves look first.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #8
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06

Yes, I'm kidding.
Stormcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:51 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post

Yes, I'm kidding.
I get it. Not my first choice...
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:55 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
I just put on a set of lug locks, and I put the key in a box in the trunk where I keep road flares, simple tools, and other emergency stuff. Then I got to thinking, if someone wanted to steal my wheels, isn't that where they'd expect to find my lug key? Since there's a trunk release in the car, it wouldn't take much effort to break a window and push a button. So where do you suggest I keep the key?
I'm easy. I keep mine in the trunk, in a plastic case that holds my torque wrench. I want to make sure I have it with me at all times, especially when I go to the local Marine Base hobby shop to change oil/filter and rotate my tires every 5K miles.

If a thief wants my wheels, I'd just as soon they use the "key", rather than mess up anything else trying to get the locking lugs off.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I'm easy.
If a thief wants my wheels, I'd just as soon they use the "key", rather than mess up anything else trying to get the locking lugs off.
Well then, just hang it from the rear view mirror with some string.....maybe paint it fluorescent orange too.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I ordered an extra key when I got my Gorilla locks. I put all 20 locking lugs on
and keep one key in the trunk by the battery and the other in the glove box.
That was 6 years ago when even the factory wheels were being stolen like
crazy.... Today not so much.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #13
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRS/SS10 View Post
I hate to say it but I work at a Tire shop and these are worthless. They make a socket to take them off and the thieves have them. If you lose your key you can't change the tire or take it off. We have people come in all the time that had to tow their car because they lost the key. Cost more money for the owner and doesn't save their rims if someone wants they will take them.
In reality, most locks only keep honest people honest.
Thieves are lazy. If they have to spend an extra 5 minutes stealing your wheels, they're probably going to pass.
Don't make it easy for them. If they really want your stuff, they're going to get it no matter what.

My 9 year old daughter can pick a standard house lock in about a minute, she can pick most master locks in about 5, and I taught her how to make a shim out of a pop can to open a combination lock in 10 seconds.
The point is not to illustrate that I'm turning my daughter into a delinquent, but that locks in general are made by man, and are readily bypassed by man.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRS/SS10 View Post
I've read that a few times before, and I'm sure it's true. Some tire thieves keep a whole set of various lug keys. But like Paul said, "Thieves are lazy. If they have to spend an extra 5 minutes stealing your wheels, they're probably going to pass." That's what I'm counting on: at least decreasing the number of people that will gank my wheels. No lock is 100% safe, but the way I look at it, even though there are people out there that can pick a deadbolt in seconds, I still lock my doors at night. Even though there are people with the skills to hack into the Pentagon, I still use a firewall and anti-virus. I'm just trying to cut out the amateurs and hope the pros and my car don't cross paths.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg

Last edited by scandata; 01-03-2016 at 09:54 AM.
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote