Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #6483
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
It is pointless for a woman to carry a firearm in her handbag as a 'concealed weapon'. if she can't get to it, it's useless. It is also giving a purse-snatcher a gun. It is my opinion that anyone that teaches people to get their CCW permit and advocates a woman placing a gun in a purse should not be teaching a CCW course..or has any business being a firearms instrcutor. That's outside of the subject of gun safety, which I believe is also compromised by tossing a gun into a bag filled with other junk. Any firearm not on your person is not under your direct control; there was a tragic situation last month where a toddler shot his mother because of this situation.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #6484
RS14
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I thought that this had been put to bed.

I own three 1911 pattern pistols, two of them Colts, including an original "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" Model 1911 that was issued in World War One and a Series 70 made in 1978. You could say I like 'em.

I'm curious to know if your limping convict acquaintance would volunteer to be shot again with a 9mm parabellum....or even a 9mm kurz, from 25 yards. Probably not is my guess. He's a lucky fellow. Don't confuse that with some kind of inability of 9mm to kill, and instantly.
You are absolutely correct. People just don't have the proper respect for firearms. Hell, you could pick up a stone and throw it at someone's head and kill them. I'd say 9mm is quite sufficient.
RS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #6485
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
With the right holster there is no reason to not wear your pistol on you while driving.

I've used a compact pistol and even a full size pistol with a double mag carrier on the left no problems.

I like High Noon Holsters. I own 6 or 7 of their holsters and every one of them is top notch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #6486
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
It is pointless for a woman to carry a firearm in her handbag as a 'concealed weapon'. if she can't get to it, it's useless. It is also giving a purse-snatcher a gun. It is my opinion that anyone that teaches people to get their CCW permit and advocates a woman placing a gun in a purse should not be teaching a CCW course..or has any business being a firearms instrcutor. That's outside of the subject of gun safety, which I believe is also compromised by tossing a gun into a bag filled with other junk. Any firearm not on your person is not under your direct control; there was a tragic situation last month where a toddler shot his mother because of this situation.
http://www.guntotenmamas.com/

They make purses for that purpose though. A gun in a holster is not any better than being in a purse that's designed for it. It's all in the training and proper equipment.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #6487
Mike812

Drives: Black Widow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigelitest View Post
bought a holster that is made to clip under the steering wheel.
same thing, it pushes in and the gun pops out
Mike812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #6488
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
I have seen enough ballistics gel that equates to a full organ transplant, and doesn't penetrate past your target(in this case a body). I am always curious to hear people put frangables down. I am not saying you don't know what your talking about, just that maybe were seeing some different data, on usage or personal experience. As long as I am not shooting at someone with body Armour on. I Think I'm good with the fact that it wont penetrate two sheets of drywall, what I am interested in is the damage once inside.
As a general rule, pistol rounds are under powered regardless of caliber.

The discussion was about .380 (generally the weakest pistol round professionals advise for self defense) and then using frangible bullets (generally used in urban environments by PD, SWAT, Military to avoid any possible chance of injuring innocent people at the expense of ballistics or used to breach).

The last time our local PD used frangibles was in a hostage situation in an apartment with a knife. The lead officer was carrying a ballistic shield and a .357mag with frangibles. He was backed up by officers with .556. The perp was not stopped sufficiently by the frangibles and it was a rifle that took him down. My father-in-law (officer for over 30 years) was one of the first to respond and saw it first hand.

I would not trust a frangible pistol round to stop an attack when the use of a 8-12" penetrating and 140% expanding hollow point round out of the same pistol is considered "marginal" at best.

People are made of bones, varying densities of flesh and muscle, usually have more than 1 layer of clothing and also have large hollow cavities which cause havoc to bullet trajectories.

There are 2 types of bullet wound cavities. Permanent and Temporary. The permanent cavity may be impressive with frangible (although shallow which is by design) however there is nearly no temporary cavity as compared to hollowpoint. The temporary cavity delivers the shock to the attacker and their organs and nervous system. (The temporary cavity literally expands the attacker's flesh inside them causing huge shock and a large energy dump. The temporary cavities of many high caliber rifle rounds are larger than a man's chest while many pistol rounds are the size of a football). Either round will likely be fatal in the end, but I'd rather have the round that gives the better chance of stopping the attack sooner and with more punch delivered.

The only real solution and the best thing you can do is constantly train. Shot placement is crucial regardless of the caliber or bullet type. With good shot placement the chances of over-penetrating with a good Hollowpoint are greatly reduced.

Concealed carry is about personal defense, it has nothing to do with being a hero or being "on duty" and there are no magic bullets.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #6489
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
http://www.guntotenmamas.com/

They make purses for that purpose though. A gun in a holster is not any better than being in a purse that's designed for it. It's all in the training and proper equipment.
It is much more difficult to snatch a gun in a holster (which a thief knows nothing about) than a purse on your arm (which is a popular target of thieves).

Guns should be carried on the person and with the wide variety of holsters for women today there is no reason to carry it in a purse and take the risk.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #6490
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
As a general rule, pistol rounds are under powered regardless of caliber.

The discussion was about .380 (generally the weakest pistol round professionals advise for self defense) and then using frangible bullets (generally used in urban environments by PD, SWAT, Military to avoid any possible chance of injuring innocent people at the expense of ballistics or used to breach).

The last time our local PD used frangibles was in a hostage situation in an apartment with a knife. The lead officer was carrying a ballistic shield and a .357mag with frangibles. He was backed up by officers with .556. The perp was not stopped sufficiently by the frangibles and it was a rifle that took him down. My father-in-law (officer for over 30 years) was one of the first to respond and saw it first hand.

I would not trust a frangible pistol round to stop an attack when the use of a 8-12" penetrating and 140% expanding hollow point round out of the same pistol is considered "marginal" at best.

People are made of bones, varying densities of flesh and muscle, usually have more than 1 layer of clothing and also have large hollow cavities which cause havoc to bullet trajectories.

There are 2 types of bullet wound cavities. Permanent and Temporary. The permanent cavity may be impressive with frangible (although shallow which is by design) however there is nearly no temporary cavity as compared to hollowpoint. The temporary cavity delivers the shock to the attacker and their organs and nervous system. (The temporary cavity literally expands the attacker's flesh inside them causing huge shock and a large energy dump. The temporary cavities of many high caliber rifle rounds are larger than a man's chest while many pistol rounds are the size of a football). Either round will likely be fatal in the end, but I'd rather have the round that gives the better chance of stopping the attack sooner and with more punch delivered.

The only real solution and the best thing you can do is constantly train. Shot placement is crucial regardless of the caliber or bullet type. With good shot placement the chances of over-penetrating with a good Hollowpoint are greatly reduced.

Concealed carry is about personal defense, it has nothing to do with being a hero or being "on duty" and there are no magic bullets.

Interesting experience, that's a compelling enough testimony for me. I had not heard that before. Called a cop buddy of mine and asked him about what he thought of them after reading your posting. He surprisingly said the same thing as you, just not as tactful as you are, he had more direct language. I'll be doing some more investigation, thank you for your explanation.

As for being able to place a shot accurately. From my own personal experience with adrenalin. Even the best shooters have difficulty hitting at what their aiming at when suddenly defending themselves with their own life at jeopardy. I use laser grips for my 226, that's the one I carry, not the 380.
Nine times out of ten the aggressor in the situation is usually the only one that will hit what he is shooting at, the victims or first responders are typically the ones that cant hit the truck in front of them.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #6491
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
Not allowed to have hand guns in Washington DC lol
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #6492
Quicksilver 1LE

Drives: 14 1000HP SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
Wish you could do that in this over-regulated bullshit of a State I live in..... Haven't you seen on the vehicle theft threads by Members from the Bay Area of Northern COMMUNIST CALIFORNIA!?!?!?!?!?

Man...I gotta get out of here.......
Transfer to Texas We ALL have guns here.
Quicksilver 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #6493
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigelitest View Post
Not allowed to have hand guns in Washington DC lol
Not unless you are one of our politician/masters , riding around in armored limousines ,with a full security contingent.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:53 AM   #6494
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
As a CCW, this is a topic I've given a lot of thought to. I carry a variety of pistols - Kel-Tec P3AT 380, Kel-Tec PF9 9mm, Glock 19 or 26 9mm depending on the time of year.

Camaro Carry: I spend so little time driving my Camaro, I don't hide (conceal/stash) a "loose" pistol in the car. I simply carry on my person in either an OWB Don Hume JIT holster in the cross draw position or in a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster. I have found this to be much faster than drawing from a holster in the 4 o'clock position. If I did unholster my pistol, for some reason, it would go on the passenger seat under a coat or something. This is something I'm really not comfortable doing as I worry it could end up out of reach if I braked hard or turned a corner too fast.

....but then there's...

Daily Driver Carry: I still carry on my person, but I always have a 2nd "car gun" held in place by a powerful Gun Magnet on the lower dashboard area near the steering column directly in front of my right knee. This places the pistol in a very natural position for a clean one second draw and the magnet is powerful enough to hold the pistol (Ruger LCR .357) in any position I choose. It's completely hidden from view from someone approaching from the driver's side. The magnets are held in place by 2 screws so you can decide what location works best for you and they won't mar or scratch your pistol.

This is obviously a passionate subject and has been an interesting thread to read!

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #6495
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
I have heard a lot of people like these
and these

Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #6496
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06

thats what I have also. This works great. it was designed to be used for this.

Tags
camaro gun