Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #155
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The 500 pounds (pipe dream by the way) mostly comes from being smaller. If not then it's premium materials that will jack the price to stratospheric levels.
There are a lot of ways to reduce the weight of vehicles, one way that everyone hears about is with the use of expensive materials in the construction of a vehicle. The Current V-6 Camaro in it's lightest trim is something around 3,702 pounds (base 2LS Camaro). 2002 V-6 Camaro was 3,306 pounds (a difference of 400 pounds)....

The number one reason why the 5th generation Camaro weighed what it did is for the same reason why the current BMW 5 series is so heavy. They worked with a chassis that simply was not ideal, as a result of this the next 7 series is slated to actually weigh less then the current 5 series.

The number one ideal way to develop a Camaro would be from the ground up (its own chassis and all) however it would cost more to do so. It will save development dollars to use an existing platform once more though the alpha platform is a much better starting point for a sporty two door 2+2.

Everyone seems to be all over the map when it comes to their guesses of how much will the next Camaro weigh in at.

Honestly I think that the number one biggest thing that adds weight is the ever growing waste of Americans and the ever increasing expectations of comfort.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #156
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Very few new "sporty cars" weigh less than 3,500 lbs. Many are nearing 4,000 lbs. and some are even over 4,000 lbs.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #157
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
There are a lot of ways to reduce the weight of vehicles, one way that everyone hears about is with the use of expensive materials in the construction of a vehicle. The Current V-6 Camaro in it's lightest trim is something around 3,702 pounds (base 2LS Camaro). 2002 V-6 Camaro was 3,306 pounds (a difference of 400 pounds)....

The number one reason why the 5th generation Camaro weighed what it did is for the same reason why the current BMW 5 series is so heavy. They worked with a chassis that simply was not ideal, as a result of this the next 7 series is slated to actually weigh less then the current 5 series.

The number one ideal way to develop a Camaro would be from the ground up (its own chassis and all) however it would cost more to do so. It will save development dollars to use an existing platform once more though the alpha platform is a much better starting point for a sporty two door 2+2.

Everyone seems to be all over the map when it comes to their guesses of how much will the next Camaro weigh in at.

Honestly I think that the number one biggest thing that adds weight is the ever growing waste of Americans and the ever increasing expectations of comfort.
You yourself highlighted why it's a pipe dream. A 12 year old car that can't meet today's emissions OR safety requirements and is not even close to meeting body syiffness requirements to be competitive let alone class leading for ride and handling was STILL 100 pounds heavier than what you hope for.

The BMWs you refer to are $50,000 and up and will use premium materials more than simple engineering to get the weight out.

The only hope for an SS weighing less than 3600 pounds is simply that the spy photos appear to be an even smaller car than I imagined.

Could we see a base 4 cylinder pushing down to 3300 pounds, the weight of a current Chevy Cruze? Maybe if they really make it a smaller car. But the ATS coupe is about as low as we could expect and add at least 250 pounds on top of that for an SS.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #158
ThrashMetalGuy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by smggugfaw View Post
Hey, that's a good idea. Lets do a 5th gen overlay:

I dunno. Maybe the body lines are so similar because of the tarp?
That's pretty cool how you did that. Nice work!!
ThrashMetalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #159
doc7000

Quote:
You yourself highlighted why it's a pipe dream. A 12 year old car that can't meet today's emissions OR safety requirements and is not even close to meeting body syiffness requirements to be competitive let alone class leading for ride and handling was STILL 100 pounds heavier than what you hope for.

The BMWs you refer to are $50,000 and up and will use premium materials more than simple engineering to get the weight out.

The only hope for an SS weighing less than 3600 pounds is simply that the spy photos appear to be an even smaller car than I imagined.

Could we see a base 4 cylinder pushing down to 3300 pounds, the weight of a current Chevy Cruze? Maybe if they really make it a smaller car. But the ATS coupe is about as low as we could expect and add at least 250 pounds on top of that for an SS.
Weight really gets over played.....

Will the Camaro get this "magic" 500 pounds of weight savings? I doubt it....

Are their car makers that are dropping weights on their cars today? yes they are doing it and they are doing it just fine and at low prices too.

Will GM go some of those routes with the Camaro?.... I think that when people get into a 2016 Camaro they expect it to drive more premium then lets say a 1967 Camaro. I feel as though that the customer base of the Camaro cares about performance but not to the point of spiting comfort to lets say the level of a Lotus Elise or a Mazda Miata or a Scion FRS. They like having big cushy seats that are heated (and probably cooled by 2016), They like having a silky smooth and quiet ride. The ride of these cars are not that far off of a Mercedes Benz not that long ago..... I think what really has changed is what the customer base of these cars want. They could probably easily produce a 3,000 pound Camaro, however the real question is can they sell this 3,000 pound Camaro to people. I honestly do not think that the buying public really wants a 3,000 pound Camaro.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #160
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Weight really gets over played.....

Will the Camaro get this "magic" 500 pounds of weight savings? I doubt it....

Are their car makers that are dropping weights on their cars today? yes they are doing it and they are doing it just fine and at low prices too.

Will GM go some of those routes with the Camaro?.... I think that when people get into a 2016 Camaro they expect it to drive more premium then lets say a 1967 Camaro. I feel as though that the customer base of the Camaro cares about performance but not to the point of spiting comfort to lets say the level of a Lotus Elise or a Mazda Miata or a Scion FRS. They like having big cushy seats that are heated (and probably cooled by 2016), They like having a silky smooth and quiet ride. The ride of these cars are not that far off of a Mercedes Benz not that long ago..... I think what really has changed is what the customer base of these cars want. They could probably easily produce a 3,000 pound Camaro, however the real question is can they sell this 3,000 pound Camaro to people. I honestly do not think that the buying public really wants a 3,000 pound Camaro.
Wait, did you just say the Camaro has a cushy ride like a somewhat older benz? I've driven a '70s benz and it's ride was way more cushy than the Camaro, lol. The Camaro rides like a sports car, stiff.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #161
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Wait, did you just say the Camaro has a cushy ride like a somewhat older benz? I've driven a '70s benz and it's ride was way more cushy than the Camaro, lol. The Camaro rides like a sports car, stiff.
It is hard to compare the ride of different eras of cars....... especially considering that suspension tuning has differed over the years. Many Mercedes have a ride that is plenty stiff though part of the issue is the difference in what constitutes a good ride. Germans want a capable but compliant ride in the last decade and a half, sure I would expect a Mercedes S class to be less so. With the smaller ones being more so.......

Also US spec cars often got a softer suspension tuning then their European version....
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #162
z928

Drives: 500SL, 928 GTS, E36 328
Quote:
Add up the countries that are RHD and then subtract from that the countries that basically exclude imports from the US and you'll see the sales opportunity is pretty small.

I hope they do make the Camaro a true world car, though, and RHD is the only way to make that happen.
yea true. RHD market is small & RHD countries like UK , Japan & Malaysia allows LHD to be sold at the dealers. Also many RHD countries like India, Bangladesh& some RHD African countries(Kenya etc etc)- I don't think Camaro would make a good sale in those countries.

If the 6th gen Camaro is available in RHD. I would be the first customer
z928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #163
16Camaroracer

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro Ss 2dr coupe
okay render with this
16Camaroracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #164
16Camaroracer

Here something for lights

Dont worry about grille it will be done

Last edited by 16Camaroracer; 08-21-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #165
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Camaroracer View Post
okay render with this
Quote:

Having trouble with pics? First post worked, second one and most of your other post are not working.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #166
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...af67&zw&atsh=1
Can't link from your mailbox
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #167
16Camaroracer

You'll dont see the pic (Im getting another one soon) i see it
Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #168
16Camaroracer

I hope the camaro 6th gen has RHD as an option
Otherwise another awww with camaros

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation